The Student Room Group

Who's actually dated an east asian who is non asian?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
When did people start using the phrase East Asian?

Because the majority on TSR seems to think the word "Asian" only refers to those of Indian/Pakistani/etc nationality.
Original post by PikahBoo
Wait hang on, approve of non white guys?
So you're telling me, her family bumped into you but proceeded to ask their daughter why their son had got so dark?

Go ahead.

I think East Asians will be more likely to approve of another East Asian partner or a white partner, I think the rest might not be as positive.

Her family bumped into both of us, and her family member asked her why her brother got so dark. As in me saying I was like a 'dark' version of her brother, I mean I'm not really but I guess they wanted to say it.
Original post by harinimnida
Because the majority on TSR seems to think the word "Asian" only refers to those of Indian/Pakistani/etc nationality.

How does E Asian differ from SE Asian or oriental which is what im more used to seeing.

Go ahead.

why are you so curious? Haha they don't exactly like me..
Reply 24
Original post by Dinasaurus
I think East Asians will be more likely to approve of another East Asian partner or a white partner, I think the rest might not be as positive.

Her family bumped into both of us, and her family member asked her why her brother got so dark. As in me saying I was like a 'dark' version of her brother, I mean I'm not really but I guess they wanted to say it.

Interesting... For me i can date anyone i want to, but i must admit there is no other connection like the one you have with your own people. What ethnicity are you?
It was phrased just how i wanted it to be. I knew some of you wouldn't understand, there are a few possible meanings.
I wanted to see the replies to see which one people had taken.

Yeahhh that's bs :P
Reply 26
How does E Asian differ from SE Asian or oriental which is what im more used to seeing.

Get a map.
Get a map.

Missed the point again.
As its your thread though, then why dod you use the term E asian, which I dont think I ever see and its not one used by my oriental/ SE Asian friends. Is it some new trend?

Btw it wasnt a criticism it was a genuine question.
(edited 8 years ago)
bullsht bullsht i call bullsht
let them know that I'm from woolwich
Let me not to the marriage of true mindsAdmit impediments. Love is not loveWhich alters when it alteration finds,Or bends with the remover to remove:O no! it is an ever-fixed markThat looks on tempests and is never shaken;It is the star to every wandering bark,Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeksWithin his bending sickle's compass come:Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,But bears it out even to the edge of doom.If this be error and upon me proved,I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

Looks like the copy paste messed up :P

Or did you mean it like that? :rolleyes:
Missed the point again.
As its your thread though, then why dod you use the term E asian, which I dont think I ever see and its not one used by my oriental/ SE Asian friends. Is it some new trend?

I think Asians don't like being referred to as Oriental, I've heard it being called racist by a few Asian people, but I think thats mostly an American thing not British.

South East Asia also has countries like Thailand, Cambodia and such whereas East Asia is mainly like Japan, Korea and China.
Reply 30
Missed the point again.

Because, your SE asian friends are not east asian. Simple as that. They are not even considered asian by most east asians. When someone says i have an asian friend he's fillipino, most east asians would say he's not really asian then.
They look different.
And btw,

orientalɔːrɪˈɛnt(ə)l,ɒr-/Submitadjective1.of, from, or characteristic of Asia, especially East Asia.
(edited 8 years ago)
The title confused me, I was like, "how can an asian be Non-asian" ?

Surely it should have been Has anyone who's not asian dated an asian?
Interesting... For me i can date anyone i want to, but i must admit there is no other connection like the one you have with your own people. What ethnicity are you?

Spoiler

I'm of mixed ancestry I guess, I think I look more Black or South Asian (or both) depending on the person. I don't know any girls from my country who aren't related to me, so I'd probably date an English girl cause like 90% of the girls I know are English. I wouldn't be opposed to other girls but I don't know many but they're nice too.
I think Asians don't like being referred to as Oriental, I've heard it being called racist by a few Asian people, but I think thats mostly an American thing not British.

South East Asia also has countries like Thailand, Cambodia and such whereas East Asia is mainly like Japan, Korea and China.

Thanks.

Point 1 absolutely in America, but not here.
Point 2 OK I just never see E Asian as a phrase, hence I was asking as its always SE Asian and I was wndering if it had some new meaning. Wjhen its a uni course its SE Asian studies no E Asian. Is there a reason youd want to exclide the other countries included in SE but not E?
Reply 34
Original post by MildredMalone
The title confused me, I was like, "how can an asian be Non-asian" ?

Surely it should have been Has anyone who's not asian dated an asian?

You can choose the meaning of the question, its up to you.
Thanks.

Point 1 absolutely in America, but not here.
Point 2 OK I just never see E Asian as a phrase, hence I was asking as its always SE Asian and I was wndering if it had some new meaning. Wjhen its a uni course its SE Asian studies no E Asian. Is there a reason youd want to exclide the other countries included in SE but not E?

I personally don't but I think there's some sort of Asian-politics at play where East Asians consider themselves different from the Southerners. I think generally (might be a huge stereotype) East Asians are much paler whereas some from the South are kinda dark and have a bit different features and East Asians think themselves a bit better than the South East Asians.
Reply 36
Original post by Student403
Looks like the copy paste messed up :P

Or did you mean it like that? :rolleyes:

The latter but without the sarcasm.
I personally don't but I think there's some sort of Asian-politics at play where East Asians consider themselves different from the Southerners. I think generally (might be a huge stereotype) East Asians are much paler whereas some from the South are kinda dark and have a bit different features and East Asians think themselves a bit better than the South East Asians.

Thanks i think its something that means more to the Asians than the sloppy phrases used in the UK Its enough to get them being differentiated from Asians (India and Pakistan).
Thanks i think its something that means more to the Asians than the sloppy phrases used in the UK Its enough to get them being differentiated from Asians (India and Pakistan).

I think each country becomes a lot less specific for people who aren't the majority, like where I'm from there's a few categories to differentiate 'skin' colour but if somebody is Mexican, Swedish or Italian or English it will just be classed as the same.
I think each country becomes a lot less specific for people who aren't the majority, like where I'm from there's a few categories to differentiate 'skin' colour but if somebody is Mexican, Swedish or Italian or English it will just be classed as the same.

Dunno why I just didnt google it. Quora is one of my favourite sites.
https://www.quora.com/Do-East-Asians-look-down-on-Southeast-Asians

In terms of the OPs question I bet its heavily twords the female being E asian.

Quick Reply

Latest