The Student Room Group

What's your opinion on getting engaged at a young age?

Just curious to see the general opinion. I'm 20 and my boyfriend is 21 in a month, we've been together two years and a few months and we quite like the idea of getting engaged within the next couple of years. I know a few people who I went to school with are currently engaged and I think it's fine. However, I know a lot of people who think that's absolutely ridiculous, and I see their point, but in my opinion, if you're sure then what is the issue? :h:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If your in love your in love
There's some people that rush into it far too easily. I know some people who were in Year 11 a few years ago and got engaged but then split up like a week later. Never be pressurised into it, if you're in love then you'll want to be engaged. Don't do it for the sake of it or the pressure.
Original post by Changing Skies
Just curious to see the general opinion. I'm 20 and my boyfriend is 21 in a month, we've been together two years and a few months and we quite like the idea of getting engaged within the next couple of years. I know a few people who I went to school with are currently engaged and I think it's fine. However, I know a lot of people who think that's absolutely ridiculous, and I see their point, but in my opinion, if you're sure then what is the issue? :h:

Definitely not ridiculous at all, when you know you know and I really can't understand people's issue with it myself:smile: A friend of mine got engaged at 17 and i m a bridesmaid at her wedding this summer. I've got my fingers crossed we'll get engaged this year or next year and i m 21 now.
Reply 4
I don't see anything wrong with people getting engaged. To be honest it feels great knowing you have someone in your clutches :lol:

Those that think engagements are ridiculous have got a serious issue :colonhash:
I have nothing wrong with it, but as the 'honeymoon stage' is an average of 2.5 years long, I'd always suggest leaving it 3+ years before making commitments which could later appear to be mistakes.
No matter how much you already know about your other half, you will continue to unearth new (pleasant and unpleasant) things throughout your lives. Therefore the longer you leave it, the more educated your commitment will be. There is no need to rush into things. But then again, if we didn't rush into anything, we'd never make any progress! It's all about finding your balance, which will be completely different between you and the next person.
Absolutely no problem with it providing both people are ready! If you want to do it, go for it :excited:

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what other people think :no: it's what makes you happy that matters most :yep:
Original post by carrotstar
I have nothing wrong with it, but as the 'honeymoon stage' is an average of 2.5 years long, I'd always suggest leaving it 3+ years before making commitments which could later appear to be mistakes.
No matter how much you already know about your other half, you will continue to unearth new (pleasant and unpleasant) things throughout your lives. Therefore the longer you leave it, the more educated your commitment will be. There is no need to rush into things. But then again, if we didn't rush into anything, we'd never make any progress! It's all about finding your balance, which will be completely different between you and the next person.

This is wise. My friends have bought houses with their girlfriends and some are engaged and even married.

Little bit intense for me.
I see nothing wrong with it,if both parties know what they're getting into
Your life. Engaged or engaged to be married? For me its the latter. Plenty of people get engaged then call it off.
Original post by hezzlington
This is wise. My friends have bought houses with their girlfriends and some are engaged and even married.

Little bit intense for me.

It's when you start seeing babies and weddings appearing from people younger than you that the pressure starts to build.. But then I remember I have a life to live first :3

if they're old enough to count they're old enough to mount
It's when you start seeing babies and weddings appearing from people younger than you that the pressure starts to build.. But then I remember I have a life to live first :3

Oh, I saw loads of babies in secondary school from girls who got knocked up.....

But yeah I'm turning 25 at the end of next year and it's scary that my friends are already paying towards a mortgage and stuff. I don't even have a girlfriend yet. Not even close.

Cute. :h:

However, bear in mind that people change a lot during their 20s. The person you will be in your late 20s would stand a much better chance of having a long, successful and happy marriage.

At this age, most turn out to be 'starter marriages'.

I remember you saying you wanted children young, which is fine. But don't you think you may regret giving up your freedom so early on in life? By this I don't just mean the freedom to sleep around.

:wink:
Reply 14
Original post by thefatone
if they're old enough to count they're old enough to mount

Thats rude :colondollar:
Original post by claireestelle
Definitely not ridiculous at all, when you know you know and I really can't understand people's issue with it myself:smile: A friend of mine got engaged at 17 and i m a bridesmaid at her wedding this summer. I've got my fingers crossed we'll get engaged this year or next year and i m 21 now.

Aw that's really lovely! :h: a girl I was quite good friends with is getting married this summer, she looks incredibly happy.

Sensible post :h:
Original post by 999tigger
Your life. Engaged or engaged to be married? For me its the latter. Plenty of people get engaged then call it off.

True. I'd want to get married within a couple of years of getting engaged! Having said that, my friend's parents recently got married having been engaged for something like 20 years :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by claireestelle

The issue is that it's impossible to know, hence the high divorce rate amongst people not only who've been engaged but obviously gone all the way.
Reply 17
What exactly is the meaning of engagement.
Does it simply mean living with each other but not married?
Reply 18

True. I'd want to get married within a couple of years of getting engaged!

So don't get engaged until you're a couple of months away from getting married. :tongue:
Original post by hezzlington
Oh, I saw loads of babies in secondary school from girls who got knocked up.....

But yeah I'm turning 25 at the end of next year and it's scary that my friends are already paying towards a mortgage and stuff. I don't even have a girlfriend yet. Not even close.

I know.. Can't help but cringe scrolling through Facebook now!

Ah well, good luck to you! I'll bet that some of them are jealous of your freedom! Make the most of it so that when you do settle down, you're ready for it. Make sure you've accomplished what you want to accomplish without dragging someone unwillingly by your side! :u:

Latest