The Student Room Group

How to get all A*

Hello. I am new to this site (just joined today actually). Well, Here is my story, From Kindergarten all the way to Year 9 I was the top of my class academic wise. I also used to participate in extra curricular activities but when my IGCSE years started (year 10) My grades just started to drop and drop. I stopped all my extra activities so that i could focus on my studies and I was still dropping. Now I am in Year 11 and I will be doing my exams this May and my mock results were pretty average with 2 A's, 5 B's and 2 C's.

I really want to do well but I find myself procrastinating during my study time. I do not care about being the best in my class again. All I want is to have all A's in my exams this year. I hope it is possible. I want to know how to go about my revision in these few weeks before my exams to make a difference. Any tips/advice will do as I am desperate at the moment and I dont know what to do.

The subjects I study are Maths, English Language, English Literature, Business Studies, Accounting, Geography, ICT, Physics and French.
Original post by mandykuuchi
Hello. I am new to this site (just joined today actually). Well, Here is my story, From Kindergarten all the way to Year 9 I was the top of my class academic wise. I also used to participate in extra curricular activities but when my IGCSE years started (year 10) My grades just started to drop and drop. I stopped all my extra activities so that i could focus on my studies and I was still dropping. Now I am in Year 11 and I will be doing my exams this May and my mock results were pretty average with 2 A's, 5 B's and 2 C's.

I really want to do well but I find myself procrastinating during my study time. I do not care about being the best in my class again. All I want is to have all A's in my exams this year. I hope it is possible. I want to know how to go about my revision in these few weeks before my exams to make a difference. Any tips/advice will do as I am desperate at the moment and I dont know what to do.

The subjects I study are Maths, English Language, English Literature, Business Studies, Accounting, Geography, ICT, Physics and French.

Motivation is key. Ask to sit down with you teachers and go through your mocks to see where you're dropping marks. If you find it boring sitting down and reading notes maybe try watching youtube vids on the topics?
Do you think your grades started to drop due to procrastination?
Reply 3
Original post by mandykuuchi

Its not too late to start, don't worry. you need to create a space with no distractions, leave your phone upstairs, no tv etc. Past papers and mark schemes are the best way to revise in my opinion. read your notes, do past paper questions, mark and correct with the mark scheme and then copy down the answers as a new set of notes. hope this helps
Reply 4
Original post by stcxrr
Its not too late to start, don't worry. you need to create a space with no distractions, leave your phone upstairs, no tv etc. Past papers and mark schemes are the best way to revise in my opinion. read your notes, do past paper questions, mark and correct with the mark scheme and then copy down the answers as a new set of notes. hope this helps

Thank you so much! I will give these suggestions a try.
Reply 5
Original post by YaliaV
Do you think your grades started to drop due to procrastination?

Yes I do. My procrastination is not something I am proud of.
Reply 6
Original post by cookiemonster15
Motivation is key. Ask to sit down with you teachers and go through your mocks to see where you're dropping marks. If you find it boring sitting down and reading notes maybe try watching youtube vids on the topics?

Thank you. I will give these suggestions a try. :smile:
Grades may be important but sometimes I find them to be intimidating whilst revising. I mean, there's no problem in knowing your goals and referring back to them for motivation. In fact, the perfect motivation may be thinking about yourself opening that perfect set of results in a few months time :smile:
Don't forget the key thing is to focus on your learning and understanding. Whilst for some exams you can get away with simply regurgitating the information, if you understand the information, it'll probably be easier for you to remember and apply to the exam. If in some point in your revision, you don't understand something or want to know more about something to fully understand, Google it! Watch a YouTube video, get on BBC Bitesize (or any other reliable source of information) or ask a friend.
That being said, don't get too caught up in understanding that you focus too long on a single topic - this is where revision timetables come into play.
I wish you the very best in achieving the top grades!
Reply 8
Original post by KawaiiMango
Grades may be important but sometimes I find them to be intimidating whilst revising. I mean, there's no problem in knowing your goals and referring back to them for motivation. In fact, the perfect motivation may be thinking about yourself opening that perfect set of results in a few months time :smile:
Don't forget the key thing is to focus on your learning and understanding. Whilst for some exams you can get away with simply regurgitating the information, if you understand the information, it'll probably be easier for you to remember and apply to the exam. If in some point in your revision, you don't understand something or want to know more about something to fully understand, Google it! Watch a YouTube video, get on BBC Bitesize (or any other reliable source of information) or ask a friend.
That being said, don't get too caught up in understanding that you focus too long on a single topic - this is where revision timetables come into play.
I wish you the very best in achieving the top grades!

Thank you! I hadn't thought about using my results as motivation but now i will. I see your point about understanding the information as well. I will definitely be using these tips you have given me. :smile:
maths do past papers to highlight your weaknesses, then watch videos on how you could answer weak areas/questions

english lit-make notes from mr bruff and mr salles on youtube -guarenteed A*
Original post by Username3097486
maths do past papers to highlight your weaknesses, then watch videos on how you could answer weak areas/questions

english lit-make notes from mr bruff and mr salles on youtube -guarenteed A*

Thank you so much! I will watch videos and I will definately check out Mr bruff and Mr salles! (literature is one of my weaker points) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest