The Student Room Group

UN are failing in its role.

Scroll to see replies

**** Argentina.
Reply 2
What? It doesn't have a single Argentine resident. I think we should withdraw if it can't even maintain the basic principle of keeping peace.
Might I add if Argentina decides to increase aggression because of this whoever the muppet who made the decision is should be held accountable for the death of every Argentine and British soldier.

They might actually think it through then.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by whorace
They might actually think it through then.

I doubt anyone who works for the U.N. is capable of this.
Not sure if this actually changes anything. The Falklands is still entitled to it's own exclusive territorial waters even if it's an enclave inside Argentine territorial waters. Argentina are naturally going to misrepresent this to mean something more than it does, but then these are the people who think a 15th century Papal bull between Spain and Portugal should be binding on the UK in the 21st century, so there's not really any change there either.
Reply 5
Not going to change anything.

Any legitimate claim they had to the islands (which they didn't have anyway) they gave up for good when they invaded.

If they really want them they're more than welcome to try having a go. I know the Typhoon pilots down there would love an excuse to paint a few Argentinean flags under their cockpits.
Good, I hope they invade. I'd love to get myself some Argie scalps.
(edited 8 years ago)

Have real doubts about using the Express or Mail for actual news.

The decision is advisory only.
It doesnt include any territory in dispute ( Falklans are also making claims about territorial water).
the Argentines are spinning it.

Ut would help you understand the decision if you went and read up on the way the UN works and the rules governing territorial waters.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Have real doubts about using the Express or Mail for actual news.

The decision is advisory only.
It doesnt include any territory in dispute ( Falklans are also making claims about territorial water).
the Argentines are spinning it.

Ut would help you understand the decision if you went and read up on the way the UN works and the rules governing territorial waters.

There are other links available that is just the one I had open last.
Original post by joecphillips
There are other links available that is just the one I had open last.

My points still stand irrespective of link. be aware of simplistic and misleading explanations.
The UN is a political institution with its own views and biases, not some overarching independent body. I think the UN is worshipped far too often.

SS
Reply 11
My points still stand irrespective of link. be aware of simplistic and misleading explanations.

So does my point that the decision this UN advisory panel made isn't going to help keep the peace which can be seen by Argentinas reaction.
well OP i created a similar thread not knowing this was already created. you should have used a better title lol
So does my point that the decision this UN advisory panel made isn't going to help keep the peace which can be seen by Argentinas reaction.

They are doing their job. Are you asking them not to do what they are paid for? You do realise the UN is a very large organisation. For anyone that bothers to find out more about the decision then they might appreciate the amount of Argentine spin and they are pretending it says something it doesnt. Watch it on newsnight tonight.
Hasn't it always failed its role xD

Nothing new....
As i said on another thread, why not jsut give them a referendum on this cr.ap? Let the population of the Falklands decide.
I agree though, the un are definitely failing at doing its job
Reply 16
Original post by an_atheist
As i said on another thread, why not jsut give them a referendum on this cr.ap? Let the population of the Falklands decide.
I agree though, the un are definitely failing at doing its job

It's happened and Argentina weren't happy
Reply 17
They are doing their job. Are you asking them not to do what they are paid for? You do realise the UN is a very large organisation. For anyone that bothers to find out more about the decision then they might appreciate the amount of Argentine spin and they are pretending it says something it doesnt. Watch it on newsnight tonight.

Their main job is "To maintain international peace and security" and this decision based on Argentinas reaction doesn't do that
The un isn't fit for purpose it doesn't have enough troops, enough money or a satisfactory way of conducting itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Their main job is "To maintain international peace and security" and this decision based on Argentinas reaction doesn't do that

Do you undnerstand what it says?
The job of the committee is to make decisions based on public international law.
What is legally wrong with the decision?

Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its wrong.

Notwithstanding its non binding and advisory only.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending