The Student Room Group

Pros and Cons of Catered and En-Suite

I was planning to apply for non-catered en-suite accommodation; I'm a very fussy eater, and I'd prefer to have my own toilet.

On the other hand, if I have to feed myself then I'll probably never eat a vegetable again, and the toilet would rarely be cleaned.

What are your thoughts? :biggrin:
Original post by ombtom
I was planning to apply for non-catered en-suite accommodation; I'm a very fussy eater, and I'd prefer to have my own toilet.

On the other hand, if I have to feed myself then I'll probably never eat a vegetable again, and the toilet would rarely be cleaned.

What are your thoughts? :biggrin:

Cons- you could be spending the amount it would cost to feed yourself in a week
You d always be cleaning the toilet yourself.
If you're a fussy eater i think you'll need the money rather than a toilet to yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Cons- you could be spending the amount it would cost to feed yourself in a week
You d always be cleaning the toilet yourself.
If you're a fussy eater i think you'll need the money rather than a toilet to yourself.

With self-catered I could choose how much money to try to save, but with catered I'd have to spend a set amount each week, and that's putting me off. Also I'd prefer to eat in my room sometimes so I can work/go on YouTube. Maybe I should look for "sometimes catered" if that's a thing. :s-smilie:
Original post by ombtom
With self-catered I could choose how much money to try to save, but with catered I'd have to spend a set amount each week, and that's putting me off. Also I'd prefer to eat in my room sometimes so I can work/go on YouTube. Maybe I should look for "sometimes catered" if that's a thing. :s-smilie:

Oh if you can cook then catered isnt worth it, do they not offer shared bathroom flats with say 4-6 people to a kitchen?
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
Oh if you can cook then catered isnt worth it, do they not offer shared bathroom flats with say 4-6 people to a kitchen?

They do offer that; it sounds good. I'm going to visit the university next week so I'll try to get closer to a decision then. :smile:
Catered halls
Pros - don't have to faff around making food, know you're going to get cooked food every day, food is budgeted for you, won't waste food through poor planning, don't have to go shopping
Cons - don't get to choose what you eat, have to eat at certain times, might end up buying bits and bobs anyway, if you eat out/get takeaway you've paid for two meals, I think it's more expensive than buying and cooking your own stuff, food might be rubbish

Shared bathroom
Pros - cheaper (this is the only one really but it's a big one as you can save a lot)
Cons - another potential flatmate clash due to cleaning/too long showers, another room where you could be liable for damage as a flat, less privacy, might have to wait to use it sometimes, if someone makes it gross then you may have to clean up after them

Quick Reply

Latest