The Student Room Group

UN court ruled falkland islands belong to the Argies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Farm_Ecology
The proposed expansion includes the islands, it doesnt come up in the picture though.

It doesn't. The ruling clearly states the territorial waters of the Falklands are outside the parameters of their decision.

Original post by 999tigger
Just look at the map i posted, less frothing and more understanding by everyone and you might learn something.

I'm well aware of what the ruling is stating and what it's meaning is. And I'm also aware of what the actual effect on the islands is: nothing.

I'm just enjoying myself countering the absurd Argentinian apologists.
Original post by Thomb
Everyone seems to forget that in the last war Britain literally stabbed the Argentinians in the back.

I seem to remember that we bayonetted them in the front :wink: we didn't stab them when they were running away haha
Original post by Farm_Ecology
The proposed expansion includes the islands, it doesnt come up in the picture though.

As far as im aware there is no ruling on the Islands and the Committee is only there to rule on issues relating to the law of the sea. Areas in dispute are not included in the decision.

If they had actually ruled on the Islands then there would be a lot more diplomatic activity. If you wnat to link me up to back up your point that it included sovereignty over the Islands then feel free.
Reply 43
As far as im aware there is no ruling on the Islands and the Committee is only there to rule on issues relating to the law of the sea. Areas in dispute are not included in the decision.

If they had actually ruled on the Islands then there would be a lot more diplomatic activity. If you wnat to link me up to back up your point that it included sovereignty over the Islands then feel free.

I'm sure your right but what about the falklanders fishing rights etc.
Original post by paul514
It doesn't mean anything for the islands the British government for decades has said repeatedly they will allow the people who live there to decide and they have overwhelmingly time and again voted to remain with us.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesnt change their right to self determination and being protected by the UK .
It does mean a potential drop in revenue they get from mineral and fishing rights on which they survive.
Original post by Thomb
I'm sure your right but what about the falklanders fishing rights etc.

Look at the map I posted earlier. They can fish in the area round the Falklands and S Georgia as they are its territorial waters. Probably a lot of the waters now claimed by Argentina were international waters where anyone could fish. I dont think they were ever claimed by the Falklands.
Awfully worded title.
Reply 47
Original post by 16Characters....
Awfully worded title.

Nothing wrong with a bit of argy bargy is there?
Original post by Oliver_94
We should give the Falkland Islands to Argentina and if not, Argentina should take them by force and slay any who oppose them

Who is this "we" you talk about? Call yourself British with views like that? Betraying your fellow countrymen who would be sold down the river and handed over to another state against their wishes??

The Falkland Islands are sovereign British territory, that British soldiers, sailors and died defending and liberating from foreign invasion.

Argentina has NO claim on them. They will remain British forever whatever traitors like you think or want. Your views utterly disgust me.
Original post by 16Characters....
Awfully worded title.

Because its untrue....
It doesnt change their right to self determination and being protected by the UK .
It does mean a potential drop in revenue they get from mineral and fishing rights on which they survive.

I think they get more revenue from the cruise ships that dock there these days. And what with the low cost of oil at the moment it's not actually economically viable to be drilling down there.
Original post by Drewski
I think they get more revenue from the cruise ships that dock there these days. And what with the low cost of oil at the moment it's not actually economically viable to be drilling down there.

Its about potential revenue though. the Falklansa should remain British as long as the residents want to. If they hadnt invaded then wed probably have transferred ro be sharing them now imo. I never realised just how close run the whole conflict was.
Good Britain must give them back NOW
Original post by JezWeCan!
Who is this "we" you talk about? Call yourself British with views like that? Betraying your fellow countrymen who would be sold down the river and handed over to another state against their wishes??

The Falkland Islands are sovereign British territory, that British soldiers, sailors and died defending and liberating from foreign invasion.

Argentina has NO claim on them. They will remain British forever whatever traitors like you think or want. Your views utterly disgust me.

For now maybe, but when Jeremy gets into power hopefully he will arrange a political transition to save any lives that could be lost
Original post by Oliver_94
For now maybe, but when Jeremy gets into power hopefully he will arrange a political transition to save any lives that could be lost

Yes, we're all quaking in our boots at the damage that could be caused by the pride of the Argentinian navy:

No lives will be lost. No land will be given up.
Original post by Drewski
Yes, we're all quaking in our boots at the damage that could be caused by the pride of the Argentinian navy:

No lives will be lost. No land will be given up.

You are forgetting how much of a traitor Corbyn is, he has no loyalty to this country.
Original post by The_Opinion
You are forgetting how much of a traitor Corbyn is, he has no loyalty to this country.

And that's consequently why he doesn't matter: he won't get voted in.
Yeah, as if the UN is still a meaningful organisation. Their word doesnt count for sh*t

Its like the apparent sanctions on Israel, right?
Original post by Drewski
And that's consequently why he doesn't matter: he won't get voted in.

Whilst I agree that he probably wont get voted in, there is always that slim chance, for example UKIP take more votes form the Conservatives in the next GE, lowering the Tory share just enough to give Labour wins in marginal seats, its not likely, but is possible. Corbyn will then proceed to destroy the country once and for all.
Lol. Some British oldies never change ever.

1459273790926.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest