The Student Room Group

Dad said that he was glad i was a girl because of this..

Im an only child and apprantly my dad said to my grandma that he's glad i was a girl as 'girls after their parents in old age, lads don't bother'

Is this true? I dont really want to look after him when he's old, Im not the caring type if i wanted to look after people I would have been a nurse. Sounds daft but I feel pressured now lol :/

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Im an only child and apprantly my dad said to my grandma that he's glad i was a girl as 'girls after their parents in old age, lads don't bother'

Is this true? I dont really want to look after him when he's old, Im not the caring type if i wanted to look after people I would have been a nurse. Sounds daft but I feel pressured now lol :/

Its just a stereotype, particularly in other cultures.
Reply 2

Actually that's not totally true cuz generally in Asian families, when a daughter gets married she goes to live in her husband's house with his parents and when a son gets married then his wife comes to live with him and his parents. If the house is big enough then generally all the married sons live in the house with the parents and they are kind of responsible for looking after their parents as they get older.

I know you're probably not Asian or have an Asian heritage but I'm just saying that stereotypical idea that girls normally look after the parents is wrong to an extent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
So, you're not gonna care at all about how he's doing?

Talk about ungrateful kids...

Original post by jokesonyou
Its just a stereotype, particularly in other cultures.

lol i don't want to look after my parents when they get old too ^-^ exactly the same as me, who needs emotions
why why do people say sh*t like this?
throwing hints shouldn't sway you at all(unless your a weak willed person who succumbs to almost anything)
Original post by *Stefan*
So, you're not gonna care at all about how he's doing?

Talk about ungrateful kids...

you've obviously never met my dad.....
Original post by thefatone
lol i don't want to look after my parents when they get old too ^-^ exactly the same as me, who needs emotions
why why do people say sh*t like this?
throwing hints shouldn't sway you at all(unless your a weak willed person who succumbs to almost anything)

lol i didnt mean that OP had to look after her dad :frown: Im just saying its just a stereotype that is more prevalent in other cultures. Of course that shouldnt be how it is (and it definitely shouldnt be forced or pressured)
Brap Brap!
Original post by jokesonyou
lol i didnt mean that OP had to look after her dad :frown: Im just saying its just a stereotype that is more prevalent in other cultures. Of course that shouldnt be how it is (and it definitely shouldnt be forced or pressured)

yup....:colonhash:
Reply 9
wow you dont want to look after your parents after they looked after to and raised you your whole life. i owe everything to my parents, i would be a full time carer to them if i needed to.
Reply 10

i get what you mean, you should see my mum but ad still do anything for her even after the things shes done/treated her kids as shes my mum at the end of the day.
Original post by mkap
wow you dont want to look after your parents after they looked after to and raised you your whole life. i owe everything to my parents, i would be a full time carer to them if i needed to.

???

Haven't you expressed extreme dislike towards them on other threads?

Time and people change, I guess.
Original post by mkap
i get what you mean, you should see my mum but ad still do anything for her even after the things shes done/treated her kids as shes my mum at the end of the day.

not aiming this at you in particular but a more general audience who say this

i think that's honestly a cop out answer to give a reason why you'd still care and come back to your parents even if they did bad things during your childhood or are still doing bad things....
once i've truly not forgiven you, you'll never be forgiven by me ever until i die, in which case my dead body still wouldn't forgive you.
Original post by mkap

not my dad no, because he was never as hard working and never gave as much attention or care as my mom was when it came to looking after me when i was growing up and going to school.

i definitely would for my mom, she doesn't deserve all the sh*t my dad gives her still to this day and everything she's done for me, wow i'd spend everything on her just so that she could have a better life.
Reply 14
Original post by thecatwithnohat
???

Haven't you expressed extreme dislike towards them on other threads?

Time and people change, I guess.

not my dad, my mum but if it came down to her needing care i woudnt even hesitate
I could parse the incorrect use of punctuation, but I don't understand your father's quote. After isn't a verb, so the sentence is nonsensical.
Reply 16
well i mean when you were shitting yourself and puking all over him for like the first 3 years of your life, and then crying and snotting all over him til you were like 10, and he had to endure that so why dont you think about him for once?
Reply 17
not my dad no, because he was never as hard working and never gave as much attention or care as my mom was when it came to looking after me when i was growing up and going to school.

i definitely would for my mom, she doesn't deserve all the sh*t my dad gives her still to this day and everything she's done for me, wow i'd spend everything on her just so that she could have a better life.

its admirable you would do that for your mu, my mum practically disowned her kids and didnt care for them anymore, no matter how angry and how much i hated her i still loved her and cared even when i didnt want to, its so complicated loving someone and hating then so much at the same time, i guess its because shes my mother
Reply 18

What did he do? Did he leave you? Abuse you? Or is he just strict?

Unless it's the former two, nothing qualifies an "I don't care what he'll do later on" statement - he's feeding you, housing you and even giving you internet to whine on TSR.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by z33
well i mean when you were shitting yourself and puking all over him for like the first 3 years of your life, and then crying and snotting all over him til you were like 10, and he had to endure that so why dont you think about him for once?

10?

:erm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending