The Student Room Group

Your views on feminism?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by hsm998
I think its easy to try and approach feminism diplomatically, to say it has no place in society, when actually, without movements like this, things today would be pretty different. Feminism is always seen as this relatively new, idealistic movement BUT ITS NOT!!! Its like any other movement e.g. apartheid-the idea of black people and white people sitting together was disgusting to most people, but black people rightly stood up for themselves; people didn't like it at first, but look at society now!! Racism is seen as a disgusting thing. How do we expect society to progress if people don't want to change their fixed mindsets?? ugh

Yes because the feminist lies are like the civil rights movement.
Reply 41
Original post by z33
You don't wanna be treated equal to your male counterparts? You don't want to be paid the same for the same amount of work you do? You don't want to vote? You don't want to have the right to divorce your husband whenever you want to? You don't wanna drive a vehicle? You don't want to become whatever you wanted to? You don't wanna own property for yourself? Well you can go to Saudi Arabia and see how ya like it there, where you're treated like a slave and a sex object. Because that's what feminism has achieved. The bloody definition is:

it never said women and men are equal or one is superior mentally or physically, it's a movement to get the world to treat women as equal to men. EQUALITY. not SUPERIORITY. So for you to just dismiss everything that women in the past have sacrificed their LIVES to give you, then m8 idek what to say like get off the internet and make a sandwich for your man

Yes because you judge a movement based on its dictionary definition not what it wants which is guilty until proven innocent, higher pay than men (it is already equal) etc.
Reply 42
Original post by joecphillips
What does things that happened over 100 years ago have to do with a debate today about equality?

Because feminism started over 100 years ago and has been a fight for equality until we reached today when women are almost equal to men and then you have someone like OP who disregards all of that and just says **** you and the privileges you've set up for me, I'm not a feminist and I don't want equality. To disregard that is to say you want everything to go BACK to how it was 100 years ago when **** like that was happening, and I assume OP doesnt want that therefore OP must want their rights to be equal to those of their male counterparts, and that makes OP a feminist.
Feminism is a broad church and the actions of some feminists do not undermine the sound principles of feminism, which include equality between the genders. The name feminism was chosen since it was created in a social context where women specifically were the oppressed gender which unfortunately continues to exists till this day.
Reply 44
Original post by Paige_Oddy
Yes, feminism has its members who will take it to the extreme, as every movement does. Feminism is extremely important and anyone who doesn't think so is either too stupid to realise it or is so wrapped up in the misogynistic culture that they are unable to see there is an issue. The reason why people are against feminism is because they do not understand it. I have already seen responses of the 'women just want to rule men' nature and they are ill-informed, childish ideas. Yes, there are women out there who want to rule men, but these people represent the extremes of society and not the general population. (Do the KKK represent all Christians, no. Do ISIS represent all Muslims, no. Does a group of football hooligans represent football fans across the world, no.) Please apply this logic here.
True feminism is about equality for everyone, for men and women everywhere.

I would also like to quickly address the issue of the biological differences. Yes, we are biologically different which lends itself to different skill sets. Despite this, there is such a thing as masculine and feminine. Let's take a stereotypically 'male' job, a builder. If i was having someone build my house i would want somebody with a set of characteristics that would allow them to do a great job. If there is a biological female who is strong and knows about that trade then why does society have such a problem with it? Also if there was a male who was caring and great with kids, why would you not want him to be a nursery nurse? If you don't have a problem, you are a feminist.

If you believe a man should have equality in family courts and criminal courts, that more should be done to combat male suicide rates and that more should be done to help male victims of domestic violence congratulations you are a Mra
Reply 45
Original post by z33
Because feminism started over 100 years ago and has been a fight for equality until we reached today when women are almost equal to men and then you have someone like OP who disregards all of that and just says **** you and the privileges you've set up for me, I'm not a feminist and I don't want equality. To disregard that is to say you want everything to go BACK to how it was 100 years ago when **** like that was happening, and I assume OP doesnt want that therefore OP must want their rights to be equal to those of their male counterparts, and that makes OP a feminist.

But how is that relevant to the "problems" today? Just because something good happened 100 years ago doesn't mean that the same thing is good today
Reply 46
Yes because you judge a movement based on its dictionary definition not what it wants which is guilty until proven innocent, higher pay than men (it is already equal) etc.

what else can you base a movement on? The meaning of a word is the meaning of the word. Like wtf do you think the word means? To be a feminist is to support feminism which is to want equality to men. Bitches that see themselves as superior and start men down just because they are men are not feminists, they are misandrists.
Reply 47
But how is that relevant to the "problems" today? Just because something good happened 100 years ago doesn't mean that the same thing is good today

So you're saying that just because women got the vote almost 100 years ago, doesnt mean that they should get to vote today? what?
Reply 48
Original post by z33
what else can you base a movement on? The meaning of a word is the meaning of the word. Like wtf do you think the word means? To be a feminist is to support feminism which is to want equality to men. Bitches that see themselves as superior and start men down just because they are men are not feminists, they are misandrists.

A movement can and should be based on its actions not a definition.
If I start a movement to close the earnings gap between white people and Asian people (Asians earn more) and start assaulting people on the street who disagrees with my movement (which feminists have done) would I be allowed to hide behind the dictionary definition.
Reply 49
Original post by z33
So you're saying that just because women got the vote almost 100 years ago, doesnt mean that they should get to vote today? what?

I'm talking about the movement.
Feminism was a good thing 100 years ago today it is outdated and the studies they publish rarely survives outside of the system they have set up where they only allow other feminists to critique them
Reply 50
A movement can and should be based on its actions not a definition.
If I start a movement to close the earnings gap between white people and Asian people (Asians earn more) and start assaulting people on the street who disagrees with my movement (which feminists have done) would I be allowed to hide behind the dictionary definition.

No that would make a violent abuser who needs to be put in a straight-jacket. This is like going against an antibullying campaign bc when the victims were told to stand up for themselves some victims of bullying have injured their bullies permanently. So we go against feminism bc when women were trying to get equality to men some women went and hurt those who were anti-feminism.
I'm talking about the movement.Feminism was a good thing 100 years ago today it is outdated and the studies they publish rarely survives outside of the system they have set up where they only allow other feminists to critique them

The feminazism and tumblr **** is way out of line i'll give you that, but I don't think it's a bad thing to want to be treated equal to the opposite gender.
In this country today it is largely people whining about stuff on the internet, which hardly affects me.
Reply 52
Original post by z33
No that would make a violent abuser who needs to be put in a straight-jacket. This is like going against an antibullying campaign bc when the victims were told to stand up for themselves some victims of bullying have injured their bullies permanently. So we go against feminism bc when women were trying to get equality to men some women went and hurt those who were anti-feminism.

The feminazism and tumblr **** is way out of line i'll give you that, but I don't think it's a bad thing to want to be treated equal to the opposite gender.

Yes but some feminists have started assaulting women for disagreeing with their stance this person has never done anything physical towards them only shared her opinions and was assaulted on the street by someone and the others who were there laughed and called her nod accused her of lying completely going against what they are supposed to stand for.

Wanting to be equal isn't a bad thing except when people point out that men have problems as well as then you are called misogynist, rape apologist and all other sorts of things
Feminists always say the same two things when someone challenges their ideology:
1. read the definition of feminism, it's not about man-hating
2. If you believe in equality you are a feminist

Let me tell you this, forget about the bloody dictionary definition because actions speak louder then words and even a minority of the group is still part of the group. So when #killallmen was trending on twitter, where were all the feminists telling those radicals that they are not representing feminism? Where were all the feminists telling them it's hateful and wrong?
And when you have prominent feminists who write for national newspaper (in other words, have a platform) saying that men belong in camps (Julie Bindel) or that hating men is a-ok (Jessica Valenti) then it's no wonder why people don't think feminism is a movement for equality.

Feminism has no place in modern developed societies such as the UK because (GOING BY THE DICTIONARY DEFINITION, HA) the movement has achieved its goals and then some. Women are equal to men politically, economically and socially and has managed to keep their female privileges at the same time. So unless feminism reforms itself to suit our society, then take it to countries that really need it, for example Saudi Arabia...

Although I suppose complaining about air conditioning and man-spreading is much easier then going to a country set in its way to try change its traditions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Eigo-Jin
Why in every thread about feminism do people say the same ****?
1. read the definition of feminism, it's not about man-hating
2. If you believe in equality you are a feminist

do you believe in male rights?
then congratulations! you're an MRA by definition!
join the movement for real gender legal equality!
Original post by AlmightyJesus
do you believe in male rights?
then congratulations! you're an MRA by definition!
join the movement for real gender legal equality!

ummm...I have no idea if you're serious or not but if you are, I suggest you read what I've written below because I'm talking about people who say that crap like it makes sense.
ummm...I have no idea if you're serious or not but if you are, I suggest you read what I've written below because I'm talking about people who say that crap like it makes sense.

:lol: misread/failed to read the full message
Reply 57
Yes but some feminists have started assaulting women for disagreeing with their stance this person has never done anything physical towards them only shared her opinions and was assaulted on the street by someone and the others who were there laughed and called her nod accused her of lying completely going against what they are supposed to stand for.

Wanting to be equal isn't a bad thing except when people point out that men have problems as well as then you are called misogynist, rape apologist and all other sorts of things

Well that's a problem with the culture and the ****tards that are running their mouths. Ofc men have problems no one said they didnt. And that crime is absolutely disgusting, just take feminism out of it and it's women assaulting women for disagreeing with them. That's just plain wrong and should be punished accordingly, but it shouldn't have an effect on the overall goal of the movement here which is for women to reach equality to men. We are very close to this goal now and soon there'll no longer be a need for feminism, but it doesn't mean we have to start going against it now and going backwards, but rather the actual feminists have to speak out and say no that's wrong and I'm sure after that incident twitter went crazy anyway :tongue:
Original post by AlmightyJesus
:lol: misread/failed to read the full message

deary me :facepalm:
I'll be changing the first half of my little rant now :cry:
deary me :facepalm:
I'll be changing the first half of my little rant now :cry:

but really, after reading what you said after your 2 part intro, I was expressing agreement :colondollar:

Quick Reply