The Student Room Group

Why are January IGCSEs harder than the Summer ones?

I was going through EDEXCEL IGSCE past papers, and I noticed that the January IGs tend to be harder than their Summer counterparts, is there a reason for this?
They aren't harder. :s-smilie:
Original post by Snufkin
They aren't harder. :s-smilie:

What a very blunt statement, i myself have seen that correlation.
I guess the June exams cater for a significantly larger number of students so they are designed with difficulty in mind i.e. making the tests less hard to avoid criticism??? idk, ive seen that trend too, it doesnt seem very fair. Also, note that many do retakes so i guess they expect higher standards from them since they have had longer time to revise and to make up for that, they make the exams slightly harder so that the GCSE grade achieved is more universal
Original post by jokesonyou
I guess the June exams cater for a significantly larger number of students so they are designed with difficulty in mind i.e. making the tests less hard to avoid criticism??? idk, ive seen that trend too, it doesnt seem very fair. Also, note that many do retakes so i guess they expect higher standards from them since they have had longer time to revise and to make up for that, they make the exams slightly harder so that the GCSE grade achieved is more universal

My teacher said this :redface:
Original post by Student403
My teacher said this :redface:

haha, which bit exactly?
Original post by jokesonyou
haha, which bit exactly?

Most of it actually. The disparity between difficulty being down to the pool of candidates but allowing for a similar distribution to that of the summer pool
yeah I noticed the Jan ones are harder..my teacher said that Jan exams are GCSEs too for some schools as some take them in Jan instead of June..but I thought Jan ones were retakes and the exam board expect the retake students to be ready for a challenge because firstly they've studied the syllabus to the death anyways and they're having a second shot at it.

Quick Reply

Latest