The Student Room Group

D.R of Congo has resources worth up 25 trillion, equal to the GDP US and Europe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mining_industry_of_the_Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo

I stumbled across this fact whilst watching a Geography Now video, not the most accurate source but it lead me to do research and discover that Congo is tapped full of minerals, the wealth of it could change the country and continent forever, so why hasn't it been used?
Because the country has gone through several civil wars and periods of unrest, during which the country's resources have been exploited by the various armed groups taking advantage of the anarchy. They still have ongoing security problems. Infrastructure is poor and there are deep rooted issues with corruption. You might want to google "resource curse".

Not only that, but the economy of the DRC is based on exporting raw materials (majority of their exports are raw minerals), meaning the adding value part is done in other countries. A lot of other poor African countries have this same problem.

This source might help. I used it when I did geography at A Level.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RF_PineMarten
Because the country has gone through several civil wars and periods of unrest, during which the country's resources have been exploited by the various armed groups taking advantage of the anarchy. They still have ongoing security problems. Infrastructure is poor and there are deep rooted issues with corruption. You might want to google "resource curse".

Not only that, but the economy of the DRC is based on exporting raw materials (majority of their exports are raw minerals), meaning the adding value part is done in other countries. A lot of other poor African countries have this same problem.

This source might help. I used it when I did geography at A Level.
If Africa used there brains wisely, would it be one of the richest continents considering that it's tapped full of resources, also considering that they aren't exploited for it./
This is often refereed to as the resource curse. How a country with almost no natural resources like Singapore can be one of the worlds richest countries, and a resource rich country like the Congo can be one of the poorest nations in the world

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_curse

Original post by Not So Average
If Africa used there brains wisely, would it be one of the richest continents considering that it's tapped full of resources, also considering that they aren't exploited for it./

It is not merely a matter of African people not using their brains wisely. The fact is there has been a lot of external interference which has also caused problems.
(edited 8 years ago)

There are many other things which come into it, not all of which are the responsibility/fault of the countries themselves. e.g. Prices being driven down by subsides in richer western countries, meaning African countries struggle to compete. I know that has been a problem with cotton production in some countries like Mali, as the US and other cotton producers subsidise their cotton production and drive down prices. No idea if this problem is relevant to DRC though.

The actions of other countries can affect it, as can trade rules. Africa certainly has a lot of potential, and most of the poor countries are making steady economic progress, even if it is slow and there is still widespread poverty. That's my view of it anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_curse

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending