I am guessing I'm very wrong. But I don't know why I'm wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by maths_4_life
So I tried to do this integral and I got 16(cos^4x)/sinx

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's not a nice way to say this, but yeah, what did you try?
I'd recommend writing cos3(x)=cos(x)(1sin2(x))\cos^3(x)=\cos(x)(1-\sin^2(x)) and then proceeding by inspection or a substitution.
Reply 2
cos3xdx=cosx(cos2x)dx=cosx(1sin2x)dx=(cosxsin2xcosx)dx \displaystyle \int \cos^3 x dx =\int \cos x (\cos^2 x ) dx = \int \cos x (1-\sin^2 x) dx = \int \left ( \cos x -\sin^2 x\cos x \right ) dx .
Original post by joostan
There's not a nice way to say this, but yeah, what did you try?
I'd recommend writing cos3(x)=cos(x)(1sin2(x))\cos^3(x)=\cos(x)(1-\sin^2(x)) and then proceeding by inspection or a substitution.

This is what I did...why is it wrong?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459283296.734679.jpg
I hope you can read it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
So I tried to do this integral and I got 16(cos^4x)/sinx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know you've been taught that you add one to the power, divide by the new power and the divide by the derivative. But that's just plain incorrect. It only applies to integrands of the form (ax+b)n(ax+b)^n. Anything else, that "rule" doesn't hold anymore and you need to be a whole lot more creative. Differentiation is easy (squeezing toothpaste out of the tube) and integration is hard (putting the toothpaste back into the tube), there are no straightforward rules for it. The above users have given a nice way to integrate this function.
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
Differentiation is easy (squeezing toothpaste out of the tube) and integration is hard (putting the toothpaste back into the tube)

This analogy is perfect :eek:
Original post by Zacken
I know you've been taught that you add one to the power, divide by the new power and the divide by the derivative. But that's just plain incorrect. It only applies to integrands of the form (ax+b)n(ax+b)^n. Anything else, that "rule" doesn't hold anymore and you need to be a whole lot more creative. Differentiation is easy (squeezing toothpaste out of the tube) and integration is hard (putting the toothpaste back into the tube), there are no straightforward rules for it. The above users have given a nice way to integrate this function.

Ohhhh thanks for that I thought the rule always applied. Hopefully I won't make the same mistake in future. The methods above do make sense I just wanted to see what was wrong with mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken

OP not attacking you in any way, don't worry. :smile:

But I must say I feel like C4 int is taught so badly. This chapter is so much understanding and so little method compared to a lot of the maths at A level. I've seen quite a few teachers just show their students the methods (like the rote way you've described, Zain) neglecting to give equal attention to when/(even why) each will work
Reply 8
I hope you can read it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope you can read it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because:
16cos4(x)=64cos3(x)sin(x) dx⇏16cos4(x)sin(x)=64cos3(x) dx-16\cos^4(x)=\displaystyle\int -64\cos^3(x)\sin(x) \ dx \not\Rightarrow-16 \dfrac{\cos^4(x)}{\sin(x)} = \displaystyle \int -64\cos^3(x) \ dx.
The sin(x)\sin(x) is a function of xx so you can't pull it out of the integral like that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken

Are you seriously only an a level student? You're a genius oh my god. I have no hope

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by joostan

By the way, you only need to use \displaystyle once in a set of LaTeX\LaTeX tags and it'll apply over the entire thing. :-)
Are you seriously only an a level student? You're a genius oh my god.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ikr?
Original post by Student403

But I must say I feel like C4 int is taught so badly. This chapter is so much understanding and so little method compared to a lot of the maths at A level. I've seen quite a few teachers just show their students the methods (like the rote way you've described, Zain) neglecting to give equal attention to when/(even why) each will work

Yea it's really frustrating. I want to know why things work for a start but I think the teachers can't even explain it. Also it hardly makes them look good because if I hadn't asked you guys/tried this question I could have got something like this wrong in an exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Are you seriously only an a level student?

:yes:

You're a genius oh my god. I have no hope

Flattering but very untrue. :lol:

Spoiler

Yea it's really frustrating. I want to know why things work for a start but I think the teachers can't even explain it. Also it hardly makes them look good because if I hadn't asked you guys/tried this question I could have got something like this wrong in an exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the key though. You asked and that makes you a really good learner. So keep using TSR (maths forum - stay away from chat :afraid:) and you'll be fine! :awesome:
Original post by Zacken
By the way, you only need to use \displaystyle once in a set of LaTeX\LaTeX tags and it'll apply over the entire thing. :-)

Yes, I was having something of a mare as maybe you saw, was trying to find the error, so had split it up into two blocks of TeX, of course it was an excess bracket as usual -_-

Why can't you? Thank you though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry wrong person

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joostan
Because:
16cos4(x)=64cos3(x)sin(x) dx⇏16cos4(x)sin(x)=64cos3(x) dx-16\cos^4(x)=\displaystyle\int -64\cos^3(x)\sin(x) \ dx \not\Rightarrow-16 \dfrac{\cos^4(x)}{\sin(x)} = \displaystyle \int -64\cos^3(x) \ dx.
The sin(x)\sin(x) is a function of xx so you can't pull it out of the integral like that.

Why can't you? Thanks though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by joostan
Yes, I was having something of a mare as maybe you saw, was trying to find the error, so had split it up into two blocks of TeX, of course it was an excess bracket as usual -_-

That and accidentally using a square bracket instead of a curly one... seriously TeX, seriously?

Quick Reply

Latest