The Student Room Group

FP2 Taylor's expansion

If you have a function in the form y=ln[1+cos(x)], do you just expand it as if it were ln(1+x) but replace the x with cos(x)?

Also, could you do this for any other function of x that isn't x, for example
y=ln[1+(x^2)]?

Thanks for any help!
Reply 1
Original post by PhyM23
If you have a function in the form y=ln[1+cos(x)], do you just expand it as if it were ln(1+x) but replace the x with cos(x)?

This will get you a series in cosx\cos x. Instead, expand cosx\cos x first - then you'll get
Unparseable latex formula:

\ln(1 + \text{polynomial})}

and expand this normally.

y=ln[1+(x^2)]?

Thanks for any help!

In this case, you can just replace xx with x2x^2 everywhere in the expansion and you're good to go.
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
This will get you a series in cosx\cos x. Instead, expand cosx\cos x first - then you'll get
Unparseable latex formula:

\ln(1 + \text{polynomial})}

and expand this normally.

In this case, you can just replace xx with x2x^2 everywhere in the expansion and you're good to go.

PRSOM

Brilliant. Thank you for confirming this
Reply 3
Original post by PhyM23

y=ln[1+(x^2)]?

Thanks for any help!

Yes, you can, provided f(x)<1|f(x)|<1, though this is often not the most convenient way to find the Taylor series, and a little fiddling needs to be done if f(x)>1|f(x)|>1.
Reply 4
Original post by joostan
Yes, you can, provided f(x)<1|f(x)|<1, though this is often not the most convenient way to find the Taylor series, and a little fiddling needs to be done if f(x)>1|f(x)|>1.

Thank you for the reply!

Please may you explain what you mean by this. Why isn't it the most convenient way, and what's the difference between what happens when f(x)<1|f(x)|<1 as opposed to when f(x)>1|f(x)|>1 ?
Reply 5
Original post by PhyM23
Thank you for the reply!

Please may you explain what you mean by this. Why isn't it the most convenient way, and what's the difference between what happens when f(x)<1|f(x)|<1 as opposed to when f(x)>1|f(x)|>1 ?

The series for ln(1+x)\ln (1 + x) is only valid for x<1|x| < 1 (otherwise, your series would just diverge to infinity, this condition is given next to the series in your textbook or formula booklet). So if you replace xx by f(x)f(x) your series is now only valid for f(x)<1|f(x)| < 1.
Reply 6
Original post by PhyM23
Thank you for the reply!

Well normally one is interested in a power series of the form n=0anxn\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_nx^n, but cos(x)\cos(x) is itself such an expansion, and you end up with:
n=0ancosn(x)=n=0(m=0(1)mx2m(2m)!)n\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n\cos^n(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\dfrac{(-1)^mx^{2m}}{(2m)!}\right)^n.
As I'm sure you can appreciate this is not very pleasant.

For suitable ff with f(x)>1|f(x)|>1 one would need to write ln(1+f(x))=ln(f(x))+ln(1+1f(x))\ln(1+f(x))=\ln(f(x))+\ln\left(1+\dfrac{1}{f(x)}\right) in order to use the expansion you wanted.
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
The series for ln(1+x)\ln (1 + x) is only valid for x<1|x| < 1 (otherwise, your series would just diverge to infinity, this condition is given next to the series in your textbook or formula booklet). So if you replace xx by f(x)f(x) your series is now only valid for f(x)<1|f(x)| < 1.

Ah of course! I'm not sure why I got confused for a minute there

I think I need to go to bed...
Reply 8
Original post by PhyM23
Ah of course! I'm not sure why I got confused for a minute there

I think I need to go to bed...

See Joostan's (excellent) answer for how to deal with the case for f(x)>1|f(x)| > 1. :-)
Reply 9
Original post by joostan
Well normally one is interested in a power series of the form n=0anxn\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_nx^n, but cos(x)\cos(x) is itself such an expansion, and you end up with:
n=0ancosn(x)=n=0(m=0(1)mx2m(2m)!)n\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n\cos^n(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\dfrac{(-1)^mx^{2m}}{(2m)!}\right)^n.
As I'm sure you can appreciate this is not very pleasant.

For suitable ff with f(x)>1|f(x)|>1 one would need to write ln(1+f(x))=ln(f(x))+ln(1+1f(x))\ln(1+f(x))=\ln(f(x))+\ln\left(1+\dfrac{1}{f(x)}\right) in order to use the expansion you wanted.

That's really interesting! Thanks for this :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
See Joostan's (excellent) answer for how to deal with the case for f(x)>1|f(x)| > 1. :-)

It is indeed an excellent answer. Yours and joostan's help is much appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest