The Student Room Group

Anxiety is taking over my life?

I can't cope with it any more, I've missed out on so many social events that everyone sees me as the 'flake'. Just over a month until exams and it's gotten worse. I NEED to go to a post offer open day at a uni tomorrow but the person I was going to go with cancelled and so I'll be going by myself. I'm so anxious to the point of feeling nauseas, tight chest etc because I'll be there from 10 - 5, eating lunch by myself, being alone, making an idiot of myself. I don't know what to do - I need to go and make a decision on what uni I want to go to, yet my anxiety is crippling. Have been to the doctors once about it but she brushed it aside, so not going back.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I can't cope with it any more, I've missed out on so many social events that everyone sees me as the 'flake'. Just over a month until exams and it's gotten worse. I NEED to go to a post offer open day at a uni tomorrow but the person I was going to go with cancelled and so I'll be going by myself. I'm so anxious to the point of feeling nauseas, tight chest etc because I'll be there from 10 - 5, eating lunch by myself, being alone, making an idiot of myself. I don't know what to do - I need to go and make a decision on what uni I want to go to, yet my anxiety is crippling. Have been to the doctors once about it but she brushed it aside, so not going back.

Benzos, beta-blockers or/and therapy are your only choices I'm afraid. Most people can't deal with anxiety issues by themselves.
Reply 2
Original post by Ciel.
Benzos, beta-blockers or/and therapy are your only choices I'm afraid. Most people can't deal with anxiety issues by themselves.

:/ Don't want to take meds, but might try and see different doctor and see if they'll put me on them - thanks.
Reply 3
:/ Don't want to take meds, but might try and see different doctor and see if they'll put me on them - thanks.

Yeah you should. Or a counselor. Btw, betablockers only affect your body - just thought I would let you know, some people are worried about drugs affecting their minds too much.
Reply 4
Original post by Ciel.
Yeah you should. Or a counselor. Btw, betablockers only affect your body - just thought I would let you know, some people are worried about drugs affecting their minds too much.

Yeah I really don't want anything that messes with my mind more than anxiety already has, so I'l try and ask about it. School doesn't provide councillors, so will try and make another appointment and hope for the best.
Yeah I really don't want anything that messes with my mind more than anxiety already has, so I'l try and ask about it. School doesn't provide councillors, so will try and make another appointment and hope for the best.

As Ciel said, beta-blockers are physical in nature and will help physical symptoms such as tight chest, palpitations, tremors, rapid breathing etc. however they won't do much for the underlying mental or psychological roadblocks you might be facing. They are a good first step, however if you feel like you are more anxious than you should be [because everyone is a little anxious and socially awkward anyway!] then there are other options the GP might be able to suggest further down the line such as talking therapies, self-help etc.
Original post by spacepirate-James
As Ciel said, beta-blockers are physical in nature and will help physical symptoms such as tight chest, palpitations, tremors, rapid breathing etc. however they won't do much for the underlying mental or psychological roadblocks you might be facing. They are a good first step, however if you feel like you are more anxious than you should be [because everyone is a little anxious and socially awkward anyway!] then there are other options the GP might be able to suggest further down the line such as talking therapies, self-help etc.

Are beta-blockers helpful for the physical symptoms of anxiety? I was offered them a few years back but I was too skeptical to accept them.
Original post by Tillybop
Are beta-blockers helpful for the physical symptoms of anxiety? I was offered them a few years back but I was too skeptical to accept them.

I don't think the evidence base is that great however I know many people who are prescribed BBs as an anxiolytic first-line, especially for say performance anxiety or before something they think might make them anxious. Colloquially it's supposed to work - and I have friends who have a supply in their cupboard for social anxious situations.

Taken from the British National Formulary: 'Beta-blockers (section 2.4) do not affect psychological symptoms of anxiety, such as worry, tension, and fear, but they do reduce autonomic symptoms, such as palpitation and tremor; they do not reduce non-auto-nomic symptoms, such as muscle tension. Beta-blockers are therefore indicated for patients with predominantly somatic symptoms; this, in turn, may prevent the onset of worry and fear.'

In essence BBs lower the 'flight-or-fight' response including many of the symptoms associated such as palpitations, increased respiration, sweating etc. They are quite safe so there is little harm in trying to see if it might work for you - however there is much more firm evidence to show that antidepressants are better first-line for some anxiety disorders.
I'm on beta blockers but they're a load of :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:s, I'm prescribed 4 per day and I'm now taking over 10 on some days to have the same effect they were inducing initially. I want to be moved to Xanax (which worked VERY well) but they're not happy with putting people on it long-term, the next best thing I can think of is a high-level benzo. I also put therapy in the same boat as homoeopathy, I'd really recommend seeing your GP and getting a prescription.

First of all breathe.
being alone is not the end of the world. you can do this.
Don't ever take meds. (i think everyones seen enuf documentaries to know the corruptness of the medical and mental health industries)
Meditation. Yoga. Reiki Healing, organic/natural food, time in nature, healing crystals - these things will help you to reconnect to your own healing energies and to the earth's healing energies - which will enable you to heal whatever physical, emotional or spiritual distress that is causing you anxiety.
Reply 10
First of all breathe.
being alone is not the end of the world. you can do this.
Don't ever take meds. (i think everyones seen enuf documentaries to know the corruptness of the medical and mental health industries)
Meditation. Yoga. Reiki Healing, organic/natural food, time in nature, healing crystals - these things will help you to reconnect to your own healing energies and to the earth's healing energies - which will enable you to heal whatever physical, emotional or spiritual distress that is causing you anxiety.

Yeah. It's not like drugs saved or improved the lives of millions, including those with mental health problems.
Reply 11
i have some of the same issues. i find that for me i can do most things if i know when it will be over, and to have a clear way out if i really cant cope. The most important thing though is to talk to someone

Ugh. You should be absolutely ashamed of yourself. Peddling quack pseudo-new age garbage for people who have genuine problems and may be looking for genuine solutions [for which pharmacotherapy is one]. :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: off.
Original post by dani t
i have some of the same issues. i find that for me i can do most things if i know when it will be over, and to have a clear way out if i really cant cope. The most important thing though is to talk to someone

Yeah talking to someone is so important, just a bit difficult when doctors don't take it seriously :s
I'm on beta blockers but they're a load of :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:s, I'm prescribed 4 per day and I'm now taking over 10 on some days to have the same effect they were inducing initially. I want to be moved to Xanax (which worked VERY well) but they're not happy with putting people on it long-term, the next best thing I can think of is a high-level benzo. I also put therapy in the same boat as homoeopathy, I'd really recommend seeing your GP and getting a prescription.

Thanks, I'm a bit doubtful about getting a prescription from gp - I went a couple months ago for depression but refused to give anything because of my age?! I turn 18 in a few months so I was very frustrated. Going to try and get another gp though.
Reply 15

That's very strange. People don't usually develop tolerance to beta-blockers. They are often used as blood pressure medication, people are on them for years without having to increase the dose. Are you sure it's not a placebo affect in your case, because I honestly find that hard to believe.
Secondly, xanax is a benzo.
Thirdly, if you've managed to build tolerance to betablockers, what makes you think that you won't build up tolerance to xanax/other benzo? Of course you will and it will be a lot worse than whatever you're experiencing with b-blockers. I've been on them for over 5 years so I know what I'm talking about. I've been on betablockers too and never build up 'tolerance' and I stopped 'cold turkey' with no side effects. I think you are mistaking 'tolerance' for something else. Maybe you're not getting the effects you were hoping to get because blockers don't affect your mind.

Quick Reply

Latest