The Student Room Group

MYGCSESCIENCE vs CGP revision guides

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
I use neither. And everyone knows where that is gonna get me.

You can still end up with a good grade without it tbh (I never used one for GCSE and just used online notes). Though, for A-level its extremely useful (in particular for Biology)
Reply 21
Back in my day...
I used both but I understood Chemistry and Biology so I would just get on with them and make notes ect using the spec and CGP guide. Physics was an enemy and I really didn't understand any of it. I watched a lot of the MYGCSESCIENCE videos for clarification of topics which was more like learning it from scratch whereas CGP was used for consolidation. I'm not sure if he's changed the system but you could also buy online resources with the videos and a set of practice papers that he had written himself. Without MYGCSESCIENCE there's no way I would've got a B in physics let alone my A*
I use mygcsescience and have paid for unit's 2 and 3. I find mygcsescience to be a lifesaver with science and dislike cgp because I feel they lack the detail needed, have massive writing more like they are trying to fill in pages and unnecessary pictures and jokes which fill up the pages even more. Just to brief for a person like me who loved detailed notes also I am a visual learner and this works for me more than hours of reading notes although have to for some subjects.
Original post by kkboyk
You can still end up with a good grade without it tbh (I never used one for GCSE and just used online notes). Though, for A-level its extremely useful (in particular for Biology)

:yep: I cant thank BBC Bitesize enough tbh.
Original post by Tinka99
I use mygcsescience and have paid for unit's 2 and 3. I find mygcsescience to be a lifesaver with science and dislike cgp because I feel they lack the detail needed, have massive writing more like they are trying to fill in pages and unnecessary pictures and jokes which fill up the pages even more. Just to brief for a person like me who loved detailed notes also I am a visual learner and this works for me more than hours of reading notes although have to for some subjects.

yeah im also a visual learner...might try making posters from his vids
Original post by Jehaan
Back in my day...
I used both but I understood Chemistry and Biology so I would just get on with them and make notes ect using the spec and CGP guide. Physics was an enemy and I really didn't understand any of it. I watched a lot of the MYGCSESCIENCE videos for clarification of topics which was more like learning it from scratch whereas CGP was used for consolidation. I'm not sure if he's changed the system but you could also buy online resources with the videos and a set of practice papers that he had written himself. Without MYGCSESCIENCE there's no way I would've got a B in physics let alone my A*

Do you think mygcsescience + past papers is enough to secure an A*?
Original post by kat.dance10
I've trimmed some paper to make multiple A5 pages and am going through all the modules making little posters on each topic before sticking them on my bedroom wall. Being A5 sized means 1) it takes up less space and 2) I really have to think about the content I put on. It has to be concise but still contain all important information.
Going to do this for all of my subjects so I'll probably end up having almost a new wallpaper, haha

Wby? How have you been revising?

I made loads of detailed revision cards...unfortunately i think ive been wasting time
ive only learnt recently im visual, i can memorise pictures so so so vividly, words on the other hand i have a memory of a goldfish

so im planning to convert those cards to posters. then condense those posters to A3 if i have enough time. bear in mind i still need to do past papers xD
That sounds great! At least you've now found out what type of learner you are and that will help with A-Levels too.
People keep saying do past papers, PAST PAPERS!!! But like you, I haven't even started yet. Tbh, I think it's more important too have all the content before even attempting, otherwise you're just going to run out by the time the actual exams come around. Then how are we supposed to practise?
Spec + flashcards
Original post by kat.dance10
That sounds great! At least you've now found out what type of learner you are and that will help with A-Levels too.
People keep saying do past papers, PAST PAPERS!!! But like you, I haven't even started yet. Tbh, I think it's more important too have all the content before even attempting, otherwise you're just going to run out by the time the actual exams come around. Then how are we supposed to practise?

IKR! My parents are literally nagging me to do past papers for P1, when i try to explain to them that i actually have to revise the content. I guess you can skip to maths for past papers, but for others not so much

Also it was quite weird discovering that i was a visual learner. I made so many c3 revision cards yet I couldn't remember much really

then i did a biology notebook and for the topics i did diagrams i remembered so much. i stuck a pic of Darwin and the next day i remember everything about evolution xD
More than enough got me an A*A*A in year 10 core science mocks without even trying past papers. I got BBB in additional science year 11 mocks without even trying any papers and I literally started to watch them few days before the mocks could have done better if started earlier and if I did past papers. If you do past papers and use the videos an A* is pretty certain. Never looked back at a Science textbook once I started using these.
Original post by Tinka99
More than enough got me an A*A*A in year 10 core science mocks without even trying past papers. I got BBB in additional science year 11 mocks without even trying any papers and I literally started to watch them few days before the mocks could have done better if started earlier and if I did past papers. If you do past papers and use the videos an A* is pretty certain. Never looked back at a Science textbook once I started using these.

thanks alot! everytime i look at a textbook i just wanna give up but i feel like revising is easier when i watch his videos
I agree with the maths thing, however you're never going to run out of maths questions (with all the exam boards, resources online, C1 from the A-Level etc.) With the sciences, there are a limited number of suitable questions.

As I said, at least you know now and should have enough time to go through everything on the specification before the exams start, if you work hard. Good luck with all of your exams
Reply 33
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
:yep: I cant thank BBC Bitesize enough tbh.

The new one kinda sucks.
Original post by kkboyk
The new one kinda sucks.

Taking no prisoners :giggle:
Reply 35
CGP are utter shite.
Reply 36
The thing is that MYGCSESCIENCE is what helps you to understand the content. You really need to know all the content back to front.
Past papers and their mark schemes are probably what will push you up
Also don't forget your practicals count as well!
Two different types of learning, one is watching a video & one is reading the guide (or however you may interpret the information from the guide) doing both gets it into your head in various ways, so you're more likely to remember it

Yes of course one in all would cover everything, but using both will be even more efficient, however if you don't do AQA make sure to read the revision guide foremost and most importantly because mygcsescience may not cover everything you need to know :smile:
Original post by caitlinford3
Two different types of learning, one is watching a video & one is reading the guide (or however you may interpret the information from the guide) doing both gets it into your head in various ways, so you're more likely to remember it

Yes of course one in all would cover everything, but using both will be even more efficient, however if you don't do AQA make sure to read the revision guide foremost and most importantly because mygcsescience may not cover everything you need to know :smile:

I do AQA, but wouldnt it be more efficient to use only one source, then go straight to past papers? I believe that simultaneously using two would use up more time, as using one of the sources and then past papers would be equivalent to using both sources and then past papers anyway

Thanks anyway
Depends what learner you are, personally I make flash cards from the revision guides and then watch a video after just to further my understanding, then if it's a difficult concept I'll make a poster with annotations, but of course this can be long-winded and time consuming and you could understand the information to the extent I learned it much quicker than me

http://www.educationplanner.org/students/self-assessments/learning-styles-quiz.shtml do one of these tests to see what kind of learner you are :smile:

Quick Reply