The Student Room Group

Computational finance or Financial engineering?

What are the main differences between the 2?
Which of the bsc in (Comp Sci at Notts or an Econ and finance bsc at Bham) allow me to follow on to one of them at a top uni?

Generally speaking, why aren't either offered at undergrad level?

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
What are the main differences between the 2?
Which of the bsc in (Comp Sci at Notts or an Econ and finance bsc at Bham) allow me to follow on to one of them at a top uni?

Generally speaking, why aren't either offered at undergrad level?

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Not a lot, check the modules for any specific differences

2. Notts for the brand name (strong semi-target)/finance society/networking opportunities

3. The content is too advanced for an undergrad program; quants have to have training in rigorous mathematics in order to do well in their roles

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
1. Not a lot, check the modules for any specific differences

2. Notts for the brand name (strong semi-target)/finance society/networking opportunities

3. The content is too advanced for an undergrad program; quants have to have training in rigorous mathematics in order to do well in their roles

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks.

Will the mathematical content in Notts' Comp Sci prepare me well enough, more so than Bhams Econ and finance to move onto either Msc?

Regarding finance societies and networking, Bham has announced that jp Morgan will be a sponsor in 2016/17. I'll already have some exp/shadowing within RBS markets by then aswel.

Abit of topic, but is it worth me then moving out of Bham to Notts to study CompSci OR avoiding living expenses, staying at Bham and studying Econ and finance?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
Thanks.

Will the mathematical content in Notts' Comp Sci prepare me well enough, more so than Bhams Econ and finance to move onto either Msc?

Regarding finance societies and networking, Bham has announced that jp Morgan will be a sponsor in 2016/17. I'll already have some exp/shadowing within RBS markets by then aswel.

Abit of topic, but is it worth me then moving out of Bham to Notts to study CompSci OR avoiding living expenses, staying at Bham and studying Econ and finance?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

There won't be a significant difference in Maths exposure either way. I think the REAL question is whether you want to study Econ or CS more.. That, you'll have to decide for yourself.

I'll use one of my good buds as an example. He got 7 spring weeks as a Notts student, just got elected as Pres of the finance soc etc. Other people involved with finance soc have landed SW/Summer gigs at GS/MS/JPM/Citi etc in FO. If you go to Notts, you'll have the chance to speak with people like my friend and the other finance soc execs/members and they'll be able to help you out with tips for the recruiting process.

If it were me I'd move out purely because I'd want to explore other areas and gain independence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll use one of my good buds as an example. He got 7 spring weeks as a Notts student, just got elected as Pres of the finance soc etc.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Fancy sending me his linkedin
Reply 5
There won't be a significant difference in Maths exposure either way. I think the REAL question is whether you want to study Econ or CS more.. That, you'll have to decide for yourself.

I'll use one of my good buds as an example. He got 7 spring weeks as a Notts student, just got elected as Pres of the finance soc etc. Other people involved with finance soc have landed SW/Summer gigs at GS/MS/JPM/Citi etc in FO. If you go to Notts, you'll have the chance to speak with people like my friend and the other finance soc execs/members and they'll be able to help you out with tips for the recruiting process.

If it were me I'd move out purely because I'd want to explore other areas and gain independence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your insight. Greatly appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by A47

You'd have to look at the content of each course... but if you're keen to study a fairly mathematical MSc in future would it not perhaps be better to study Computer Science and Mathematics at Nottingham rather than straight Computer Science?
Reply 7
Original post by Dowie
You'd have to look at the content of each course... but if you're keen to study a fairly mathematical MSc in future would it not perhaps be better to study Computer Science and Mathematics at Nottingham rather than straight Computer Science?

Yh I figured..
Im not even sure on what to choose at undergrad lol. Im just trying to keep as many doors open as possible. Mathematics and computer science is a good shout, but I don't think plain Maths is for me (plain as in not related to business or finance). I just wish they offered something along the lines of computer science with Finance as that's where most my interests lie (and where I found out about computational finance/financial engineering).
I think their new data science bsc is the closest I'll get to what im looking for, but still maybe a bit mathsyy in the wrong way.
Decisionsss.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending