The Student Room Group

"A girlfriend takes too much time" fact or myth?

I asked a guy recently if he had a girlfriend. He said "No, takes too much time".

I've never had a girl friend so can't really be sure if its really true to not. I use to have this perception as well. So for guys for who had girlfriends, how true is this?

I guess it depends on the "quality" of your girlfriend? Is she "above" or "below" you. If "above" then yes it would take too much time as she would have high expectations. But if "below" you then she would be doing more stuff for your benefit I guess?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yeah obviously that's the reason I don't have one, not enough time :colonhash:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
idk about 'time' but it's certainly a large commitment to take on board and life is undeniably easier n more peaceful when you don't have to worry about a partner.
Time well spent.

Spoiler

Reply 4
Some think relationships are worth it and some don't.

Ultimately, what you give is what you get. Only when you invest in people will you reap the rewards.

:wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Blondie987
Yeah on spilt that's the reason I don't have one, not enough time :colonhash:

Really? A bf takes a lot of time too? Are you going for someone above you?
Reply 6
Original post by stefano865
Some think relationships are worth it and some don't.

Ultimately, what you give is what you get. Only when you invest in people will you reap the rewards.

Not all investments turn out to be a success though.
Original post by Inexorably
idk about 'time' but it's certainly a large commitment to take on board and life is undeniably easier n more peaceful when you don't have to worry about a partner.

/thread
Reply 8
Original post by zill1
Not all investments turn out to be a success though.

Of course.

But if you don't try...

Stick to Tinder hookups for now then I guess. But like many people you will eventually want something more.

Relationships do take time, yes, but depending on the person this is a good thing. In my first relationship I would have gone to the ends of the Earth with her at pretty much any expense.

My priorities were different during my second relationship and contributed to me breaking things off.

I'm of the mindset that my work is too important to get involved with someone who doesn't understand how much time and energy my work requires. Plus I have a lot of hobbies that I prioritise above most people.
During education yes it "wastes" a lot of time. You have to decide if she's worth it or not.
This doesn't answer the question, but the way you describe people with words like "above" and "beneath" bothers me. Surely without equality in a relationship there'd be little love and respect.

And to have someone who'd be "doing more stuff for your benefit" isn't the point of a relationship. Except one where you're a user. :redface:
Reply 12
Original post by cosmic angel
This doesn't answer the question, but the way you describe people with words like "above" and "beneath" bothers me. Surely without equality in a relationship there'd be little love and respect.

And to have someone who'd be "doing more stuff for your benefit" isn't the point of a relationship. Except one where you're a user. :redface:

What doesn't answer the question? Can you answer the question?
Original post by zill1
What doesn't answer the question? Can you answer the question?

My post didn't answer your question. And answering your question is not my intention.

Confused much?
Reply 14
My post didn't answer your question. And answering your question is not my intention.

Confused much?

Unlike a lot of threads, everyone in this thread so far have put in valuable input. Your input is not so good unfortunately.

In an ideal world, everything is good and perfect and we are all winners. But we don't live in an ideal world. Some people are richer, better looking, smarter, funnier, friendlier, more sociable etc than others.

Depends what you want at the end of the day. The trouble with going for someone desirable is that they have many people going for them so if they don't desire you as much than you better put in much more effort to get their attention.
I thought this was one of those foreplay threads. Which should not be a problem to the 60-minute man.
fact
Original post by zill1
Unlike a lot of threads, everyone in this thread so far have put in valuable input. Your input is not so good unfortunately.

Everyone but me huh?
Looks like your really don't like my post lol.

Original post by zill1
In an ideal world, everything is good and perfect and we are all winners. But we don't live in an ideal world. Some people are richer, better looking, smarter, funnier, friendlier, more sociable etc than others.

Depends what you want at the end of the day. The trouble with going for someone desirable is that they have many people going for them so if they don't desire you as much than you better put in much more effort to get their attention.

People not being objectively equal is one thing, wanting a relationship with someone who you don't, from your perspective, consider your equal, in the sense that you are "above" or "beneath" them, and where one of you is using the other for their qualities, is another and is plainly wrong.

And I'd go for people I have feelings for, not for people who rank specifically on a desirability scale. If I loved them, I'd consider them my equal - even though objectively they might be less good-looking, less sociable or less charming than me. Love makes people equal that way. :lovedup: Your approach to relationships is, in my opinion, extremely materialistic and just kills love and respect.
Reply 18
Everyone but me huh?

People not being objectively equal is one thing, wanting a relationship with someone who you don't, from your perspective, consider your equal, in the sense that you are "above" or "beneath" them, and where one of you is using the other for their qualities, is another and is plainly wrong.

And I'd go for people I have feelings for, not for people who rank specifically on a desirability scale. If I loved them, I'd consider them my equal - even though objectively they might be less good-looking, less sociable or less charming than me. Love makes people equal that way. :lovedup: Your approach to relationships is, in my opinion, extremely materialistic and just kills love and respect.

This!
Reply 19
Everyone but me huh?

Even if you have feelings for someone, you still have to be willing to spend time on them. Maybe you consider doing something else much more worthwhile.

Quick Reply