The Student Room Group

UN court ruled falkland islands belong to the Argies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ironandbeer2
Maybe Cameron will use another war as a distraction from all the domestic crap. Like Thatcher did.

Only in Britain would a Prime Minister get criticised for defeating foreign hostile aggression in a war.
Original post by HucktheForde

Informal polling, albeit with fairly large samples of ~4400, put the percentage of HKers who would prefer British rule at 92%
Great well done. Now try to take it.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Informal polling, albeit with fairly large samples of ~4400, put the percentage of HKers who would prefer British rule at 92%

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure, it's not remotely ideal, but to imply that there's a margin of error big enough that the real number is a minority is ridiculous.
Original post by Thomb
Everyone seems to forget that in the last war Britain literally stabbed the Argentinians in the back.

Everyone knows that the Argentinians invaded sovereign British territory with a huge amphibious force, expelled the one platoon of marines stationed there, along with its legal government, and subjected the inhabitants to an occupation.

Upon which Britain organised a naval task force, sailed down to the South Atlantic, sank the biggest ship in the Argentinian navy with a torpedo from a nuclear submarine, (after which the Argies were so terrified their whole fleet stayed in port for the remainder of the war) and then landed a small army which forced the much much larger Argentinan military force to surrender with hardly a shot fired and at the loss of a few hundred men because they were so cold, hungry and unwilling to fight for a land which wasn't theirs.

Totally humiliating the entire Argy nation and leading the to eject the fascist junta who had led them to this pass.

It wasn't a stab in the back. It was walking up to them face to face and sticking a sword in their heart.

But at least we got rid of their fascist military dictatorship for them.

You're welcome, Argentina. :smile:
Sure, it's not remotely ideal, but to imply that there's a margin of error big enough that the real number is a minority is ridiculous.

It was only done in hong kong. I thought it was pretty obvious.

+ the poll was done poorly. I have seen other polls with more options and most ppl wants independence and not British rule as honkie were discriminated (paid less etc) during colonial period). Either ways, they are welcome to try like the argies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 127
Original post by Mathemagicien
Yes, it was corrupt, even so, there was no doubt that the people of Crimea wanted to be in Russia

Just like the Sudetenland etc., which overwhelmingly wanted reunification into Germany

In both cases, we (the West) certainly did not like the outcome

Given the referendum was carried out in the space of what, two weeks? As well as widespread fraud, no observers, or fair campaigning I wouldt be able to conclude that at all. In short there is little to no comparison with the referendum carried out in the Falklands.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The problem is that Argentinian waters now surround the Falklands, hence any ships travelling there have to cross them which is a problem and then some.

This was the most interesting point in the thread. have you seen any comments on how the UK will deal with this issue? Notwithstanding its advisory and non binding. Wonder if theyd try a blockade? i dont think they have the navy to do it.
Original post by 999tigger
This was the most interesting point in the thread. have you seen any comments on how the UK will deal with this issue? Notwithstanding its advisory and non binding. Wonder if theyd try a blockade? i dont think they have the navy to do it.

Either argue that the waters around the Falklands should be similarly extended, or be all "come at me"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Either argue that the waters around the Falklands should be similarly extended, or be all "come at me"

Posted from TSR Mobile

The decision isnt final so part of me is interested in the academic arguments and why the panel reached this decison. Not binding, but slightly awkward.

FAOD I dont believe we should give in to Argie demands. They invaded , they lost and they lost the argument.

Enclaves in territorial waters have the same status as land ones. That is to say Argentina has no legal grounds to blockade civilian shipping in any way shape or form from reaching the Falklands.

They definitely don't have the force required for such a task. Their ships barely spend any time at sea, are in chronic disrepair and capsize in harbour - when they're not not getting impounded by other countries.
Original post by pol pot noodles
Enclaves in territorial waters have the same status as land ones. That is to say Argentina has no legal grounds to blockade civilian shipping in any way shape or form from reaching the Falklands.

Thanks. It could make it more awkward for the Royal Navy, then?
Thanks. It could make it more awkward for the Royal Navy, then?

Well, again 'legally' during peace time they can't without a valid reason, but from a PR standpoint the general world public are less likely to care about Argentina harassing the Royal Navy illegally than they would about civilian vessels. I could even imagine many on the British left supporting such moves because apparently a British warship sailing to British territory would be provocative or some crap like that. Corbyn definitely would.
Reply 135
Original post by an_atheist
How about, we give the population of the Falklands a referendum to pick which country controls them? We the west are champions of democracy aren't we?

A referendum surely will say stay British.
Original post by an_atheist
How about, we give the population of the Falklands a referendum to pick which country controls them? We the west are champions of democracy aren't we?

They did before and they voted overwhelmingly to stay part of the UK
Original post by M14B
A referendum surely will say stay British.

Read the post 2 down from the one you just quoted.
A good film about the build up to the Falklands War is "An Ungentlemanly Act."
Original post by HucktheForde
Falkland Islands lie in Argentinian waters, UN commission rules

Argentina’s government is celebrating a decision by a UN commission to expand its maritime territory in the South Atlantic Ocean by 35% to include the disputed Falkland islands and beyond.

The Argentine foreign ministry said its waters had increased by 1.7 million square km (0.66 million square miles) and the decision will be key in its dispute with Britain over the islands.

Argentina lost a brief, bloody 1982 war with Britain after Argentinian troops seized the South Atlantic archipelago that Latin Americans call the Malvinas.The UN commission on the limits of the continental shelf sided with Argentina, ratifying the country’s 2009 report fixing the limit of its territory at 200 to 350 miles from its coast.

“This is a historic occasion for Argentina because we’ve made a huge leap in the demarcation of the exterior limit of our continental shelf,” foreign minister Susana Malcorra said. “This reaffirms our sovereignty rights over the resources of our continental shelf.”

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/mar/29/falkland-islands-argentina-waters-rules-un-commission

Commission's ruling on Falkland Islands dismissed by UK

Britain has played down a report from a UN commission which rules that the disputed Falkland Islands lie inside Argentinian waters.

But David Cameron’s official spokeswoman said the UK government had not yet seen the full report, and stressed that the commission was merely an advisory body.

“It’s important to note that this is an advisory committee it makes recommendations; they are not legally binding and the commission does not have jurisdiction over sovereignty issues.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/mar/29/un-ruling-falkland-islands-dismissed-by-uk-argentina

Fight fight fight!!!

What you have stated (and what media have said) is a rather large overreach of what this commision said. And they aren't directly the UN either so it isn't binding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending