The Student Room Group

biomedical engineering

HI everyone!

I've recibed offers from Swansea university, Aston university, University of hertfordshire and Kent university.

Kent is not for me, it has many subjects related with chemestry and I'm interested in the mechanical side of this subject.

Does any body know about differences betune those unis?
Is any of those bes known for biomedicel engineering?
I need help to decide!!
You should be able to find a detailed list of modules on university engineering department webpages. Use these module lists to compare universities, choose the degree that's most interesting. I doubt there is any difference in terms of prestige.
Original post by a1l2b3a4
HI everyone!

I've recibed offers from Swansea university, Aston university, University of hertfordshire and Kent university.

Kent is not for me, it has many subjects related with chemestry and I'm interested in the mechanical side of this subject.

Does any body know about differences betune those unis?
Is any of those bes known for biomedicel engineering?
I need help to decide!!

Congrats on your offer :smile:

Instead of throwing marketing statistics at you, i was wondering if you had any specific questions?

I'm a 2014 graduate and Birmingham local, so i should be able to handle most things you can throw my way.

Josh
Reply 3
Original post by Aston University
Congrats on your offer :smile:

Instead of throwing marketing statistics at you, i was wondering if you had any specific questions?

I'm a 2014 graduate and Birmingham local, so i should be able to handle most things you can throw my way.

Josh

Thank you Josh

I have many questions,,,, but here you have some:
- How is the relationship betune students and teachers? I mean, if you have problems with a subject can you ask for help?
- Do you know if engineering at Aston is as well known as business? I want to make sure I choose the best option.

About Birmingham:- Is the cost of living too expensive? how are people and other students?

One more, do you know someone who has study Biomedical engineering there? If so, how was his/her experience and feelings?
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
You should be able to find a detailed list of modules on university engineering department webpages. Use these module lists to compare universities, choose the degree that's most interesting. I doubt there is any difference in terms of prestige.

I've a list of modules and I've read detailed information about each, even then I don't know what can make me choose, Do you know what type of information I sould search to clear my mind?
I'd say look at the reputation for the subject, the uni and the city. Based on what I've heard about those unis I'd say Swansea has the best reputation for engineering and is the best uni
Thank you Josh

I have many questions,,,, but here you have some:
- How is the relationship betune students and teachers? I mean, if you have problems with a subject can you ask for help?
- Do you know if engineering at Aston is as well known as business? I want to make sure I choose the best option.

About Birmingham:- Is the cost of living too expensive? how are people and other students?

One more, do you know someone who has study Biomedical engineering there? If so, how was his/her experience and feelings?

No problem,

If anymore come to mind just give me a shout:

1) How is the relationship betune students and teachers? I mean, if you have problems with a subject can you ask for help?

There is a little bit of a change from A Level to university, usually the lectures are very clear and supplementary reading will help you understand the majority of the course. However if something is still a problem all of our academics have bookable office hours for one to one appointments if you need any support, just make sure you book ahead of time, these get rammed around assignment submission times as everyone is in panic mode.

2) Do you know if engineering at Aston is as well known as business? I want to make sure I choose the best option.

There is a perception that business is our main focus at Aston and it is an important element of what we do, however our engineering degrees have well established links with industry, i have several friends who did engineering degrees who work for Virgin Media, BAE Systems and Rolls Royce all in technical skilled graduate roles, i think we are well respected.

3) About Birmingham:- Is the cost of living too expensive? how are people and other students?

Like most of the UK everything gets cheaper the further north you go, the midlands sitting in the middle of the country is a nice compromise between the expense involved with studying in London and being away from a major city in a colder, northern town. It's all about perception i guess. If accommodation is too expensive you can always find a housing share, my friends went from paying £120+ a week to around £70 albeit living in a rather questionable area. Also the average price of pint ranges from £2.60-£3.20 depending on your drink and if you find your way into a student night, i don't know if that makes any difference to you.

4) One more, do you know someone who has study Biomedical engineering there? If so, how was his/her experience and feelings?

I have one or two friends studying biomedical engineering, and overall they seem rather pleased with their course. Best course of action is to keep an eye on our twitter in case we have a student take over at any point. That may be your best chance to talk to a current biomed student.

Anything else just give me a shout. :smile:

Josh
Reply 7
Original post by Aston University
No problem,

If anymore come to mind just give me a shout:

1) How is the relationship betune students and teachers? I mean, if you have problems with a subject can you ask for help?

There is a little bit of a change from A Level to university, usually the lectures are very clear and supplementary reading will help you understand the majority of the course. However if something is still a problem all of our academics have bookable office hours for one to one appointments if you need any support, just make sure you book ahead of time, these get rammed around assignment submission times as everyone is in panic mode.

2) Do you know if engineering at Aston is as well known as business? I want to make sure I choose the best option.

There is a perception that business is our main focus at Aston and it is an important element of what we do, however our engineering degrees have well established links with industry, i have several friends who did engineering degrees who work for Virgin Media, BAE Systems and Rolls Royce all in technical skilled graduate roles, i think we are well respected.

3) About Birmingham:- Is the cost of living too expensive? how are people and other students?

Like most of the UK everything gets cheaper the further north you go, the midlands sitting in the middle of the country is a nice compromise between the expense involved with studying in London and being away from a major city in a colder, northern town. It's all about perception i guess. If accommodation is too expensive you can always find a housing share, my friends went from paying £120+ a week to around £70 albeit living in a rather questionable area. Also the average price of pint ranges from £2.60-£3.20 depending on your drink and if you find your way into a student night, i don't know if that makes any difference to you.

4) One more, do you know someone who has study Biomedical engineering there? If so, how was his/her experience and feelings?

I have one or two friends studying biomedical engineering, and overall they seem rather pleased with their course. Best course of action is to keep an eye on our twitter in case we have a student take over at any point. That may be your best chance to talk to a current biomed student.

Anything else just give me a shout. :smile:

Josh

Oh, thank you very much!! It is useful information for me.

Another question, do you know something about subjects? Because I've been researching modules and there are just 5 in 1st year, 8 in 2nd year and 4 plus de final project in the last year. Compering it with other unis it is a little bit low, but maybe it has to be like this.
If you can find the exactly modules I'll be pelased!

Another question, do you know something about subjects? Because I've been researching modules and there are just 5 in 1st year, 8 in 2nd year and 4 plus de final project in the last year. Compering it with other unis it is a little bit low, but maybe it has to be like this.

Great question,

Unfortunately i can't give you a straight answer, unfortunately the number of modules does differ per degree, you normally need to get around 120 credits per year, which works out at 12, 8 week modules, split over two terms. However the case may be that all modules offered are double modules worth 20 credits each.

The best course of action is to contact the admissions team linked to that course at: [email protected]

Sorry i couldn't be of more help.

Josh

Hello,
Congratulations on receiving an offer from Swansea University.

Swansea University has recently opened a brand new Bay Campus for Engineering and School of Management (September 2015), you can find out more here - http://www.swansea.ac.uk/campus-development/baycampus/

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will try my best to help!

Quick Reply

Latest