The Student Room Group

What top sets were you in school?

Scroll to see replies

British state schools group the high school students by sets according to their socio-economic background, parents' education and their postcode.
Everything except technology which I was in set 3 for, purely because I couldn't stand it and just used it to mess about, haha didn't take it at GCSE though so it was fine
Original post by William Pitt
British state schools group the high school students by sets according to their socio-economic background, parents' education and their postcode.

Really?

'cos neither of my parents went to university and I still ended up in all top sets, they judged ours from our SAT's and year 7 baseline tests
all of them the set 1 "group" stayed set 1 throughout school (regrettably not in contact with any of them hard to believe we were inseparable 7 years ago) now and then a few would drop to set 2 for a few months and for stuff like english we'd have new people every year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
Started in set 2 but moved up into set 1 halfway through year 7
Reply 25
I was in the top set in all subjects which had sets
Reply 26
Set 1 for maths and set 2 for the rest.
Reply 27
All of them, the only subjects with sets being Science, English, Maths and Welsh.
Was Set 1 in English,Maths,Science,French,RE and IT
I was top sets in the only subject that actually matters;

Meme Related Studies
All set 1 except 2 for welsh and pe and 3 for english.
I was Top Set for everything, but our sets were focused more on the baseline tests than SATs, because there were some people who were in Top Set (Maths for example) and predicted only a C, because of their SATs results, and still walked away with an A*.

They then proceeded to laugh in the government's face for making them look and sound so stupid.
Reply 32
What kind of weird GCSE power trip is this?!
Reply 34
I was actually in bottom sets for everything in year 7 because I didn't go primary school in UK and didn't do my SATS.

BUT...

I moved from set 6 in English to set 4 by year 10
set 6 to set 1 in French
set 6 to set 4 in maths
geography was my worst so I moved from set 3 to set 5 for that LOL.
set 5 to set 4 for science
history was randomly grouped
Religious studies was randomly grouped too..
P.E/music/drama/dance was random
food technology/graphics/textiles and woodwork was random

I wouldn't say I was in many top sets.....lol
In primary school I was always put in top set for English and maths. I get the English but I have no idea why I was always put in top set for maths since like year 2! Like I'm so rubbish at it. In year 6 I think my teacher finally realised that I'm actually dumb and moved me down a set haha. But then in year 7 and half of year 8 I was put in top set again. Again, they realised I was dumb and moved me down :tongue:
Original post by Axel Johann
My friend at GCSE went from set 4 to set 2 during the 2 year GCSE period and almost got an A* at GCSE Math.

We don't have sets at A-level and now he's the guy all the people in set 1 for GCSE go to help.

Sets don't mean much if you're willing to put the effort in and fix up.

Completely agree with this, its just frustrating when your willing to put the work in but they wont teach you the harder topics because they think your not good enough which really irritates me.
The top ones
Good grammar school. Top set for every subject that had sets.

Then...I was expelled :facepalm2:
Reply 39
i was top set for the everything mane
but i realised school doesn't teach you **** anyway

Quick Reply

Latest