The Student Room Group

Friend or foe? HELP ME PLEASE???!!

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Candy55
I recently made a new friend and it was nice talking and all. He was funny ectra.

However, he told me a racist joke and I called him out for saying it and we had big argument.

We never had an argument up until then but arguments are inevitable right? Can't expect everything to be perfect right?

I mean, how is it that I should stop talking to him just because of one argument? How can I expect myself to have long relationships if I give up too easily?

To clarify, I we already apologized to each other but I just stopped talking to him and dunno if I should just stop talking.

I dunno if i should just stop talking to him or try and work it out??? WHAT SHOULD I DO, i'm so confused??!!!

If that joke is the only issue then try and work it out
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
If that joke is the only issue then try and work it out

Yeh the joke was the main issue. Thanks, yeh i guess so.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
More help pls??
I dont deal with racists, not acceptable. If thats what they believe then no thanks. If it was just awkward and they were ignorant then you can turn it round. Context is important. Carry it on if you wnat bit if they repeat or it becomes apparent they really are racist, then id drop them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Candy55
More help pls??

Definitely keep trying. In a few months or weeks it's going to get to a point where it'll be too awkward or weird if you pop up again to become friends. And don't be the person with a lot of pride who feels they shouldn't put in effort, not that you are, just try, because when you do you'll have no regrets, you can always look back and say you've tried. What I'm getting at here is, try become friends with them again and see where it goes. If it gets to the point where you are the only person trying to fix the relationship then give up. and if not then there you go :')
PM me for anything else.
For me it depends on a couple of things. The severity of the joke, and whether you think he's actually racist or really was just joking.

If the joke was so disgustingly awful that no one would conceivably find it funny, I would say that hints towards the second point. Arguments are normal, and I wouldn't stop speaking to someone because of one. But if though the course of the argument he's said some stuff which was really hurtful to you or suggested that he was racist you might want to cut contact.

If he didn't say anything like that, my advice would definitely be to try and patch things over. Say you're sorry for overreacting and I doubt he'd make another race joke around you again.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by dean01234
For me it depends on a couple of things. The severity of the joke, and whether you think he's actually racist or really was just joking.

If the joke was so disgustingly awful that no one would conceivably find it funny, I would say that hints towards the second point. Arguments are normal, and I wouldn't stop speaking to someone because of one. But if though the course of the argument he's said some stuff which was really hurtful to you or suggested that he was racist you might want to cut contact.

If he didn't say anything like that, my advice would definitely be to try and patch things over. Say you're sorry for overreacting and I doubt he'd make another race joke around you again.

Thanks for the help, it really helped :smile:!!

EXCATLY!! Yeh for me I thought it WAS disgustingly awful that no one would conceivably find it funny. But he was like "omg mang how could you think this and that, or I am that bad? Sometimes I say jokes to cope/ they've lost their mean-ness. I even all insult my friends/ i thought i could tell you this"

It's just that the thought of talking to him again also doesn't exactly fill me with joy........so shall I just take a break for a while? But definitely try to talk to me when i can.
Reply 8
Original post by X_alwayssmiley
Definitely keep trying. In a few months or weeks it's going to get to a point where it'll be too awkward or weird if you pop up again to become friends. And don't be the person with a lot of pride who feels they shouldn't put in effort, not that you are, just try, because when you do you'll have no regrets, you can always look back and say you've tried. What I'm getting at here is, try become friends with them again and see where it goes. If it gets to the point where you are the only person trying to fix the relationship then give up. and if not then there you go :':wink:
PM me for anything else.

Thanks for the advice, it's really helpful :smile: Yeh I'll try to do it. But what am I supposed to do abut this : i don't feel like really talking to him......the thought doesn't exactly fill me with joy???
Reply 9
Now watch me
Bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop
Original post by Candy55
Thanks for the help, it really helped :smile:!!

EXCATLY!! Yeh for me I thought it WAS disgustingly awful that no one would conceivably find it funny. But he was like "omg mang how could you think this and that, or I am that bad? Sometimes I say jokes to cope/ they've lost their mean-ness. I even all insult my friends/ i thought i could tell you this"

It's just that the thought of talking to him again also doesn't exactly fill me with joy........so shall I just take a break for a while? But definitely try to talk to me when i can.

See if he didn't think it was that bad, he was probably trying to be funny rather than offensive. If you don't want to talk to him you've got 2 real choices, don't talk to him or force yourself to do it anyway because you did like him and you might get on really well together (for option 2 maybe meeting in person would be better than texting too much)
Reply 11
Original post by dean01234
See if he didn't think it was that bad, he was probably trying to be funny rather than offensive. If you don't want to talk to him you've got 2 real choices, don't talk to him or force yourself to do it anyway because you did like him and you might get on really well together (for option 2 maybe meeting in person would be better than texting too much)

Thank you for the help :smile: I think i'll take your advice and force myself to talk to him.
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
I dont deal with racists, not acceptable. If thats what they believe then no thanks. If it was just awkward and they were ignorant then you can turn it round. Context is important. Carry it on if you wnat bit if they repeat or it becomes apparent they really are racist, then id drop them.

Thanks for the help :smile: !! Yeh i'll try to do it.
Reply 13
People who get butthurt over stupid jokes make it worse, if he has no bad intentions he has no bad intentions and you are in the wrong.
Reply 14
Original post by silentó
Now watch me

Interesting take on the dude's problem.
Reply 15
Original post by M14B
Interesting take on the dude's problem.

Lol yeah XD
Reply 16
Original post by silentó
Now watch me

Ok thanks , Silento XD lol
Reply 17
Original post by Candy55
Ok thanks , Silento XD lol

In hindsight I should have replied to your OP properly, sorry.
Now watch me
Reply 18
Original post by whorace
People who get butthurt over stupid jokes make it worse, if he has no bad intentions he has no bad intentions and you are in the wrong.

I guess your right.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
I honestly can't do it! I can't bring myself to talk to them! I don't think I can!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending