The Student Room Group

My Girlfriend went to the cinema with another guy

Scroll to see replies

If you're talking about going with a group of friends then fair enough.

But if yours like OPs gfs scenario where it's just the 2 of you then maybe they just don't find you attractive enough?

Hanging out with a few male friends is one thing. Going to the cinema with one of them then talking in the car for a while afterwards is another story. I don't even do that with friends of the same gender lol. I can't imagine going to the cinema with only one girl despite seeing her as a friend. There are cheaper, less secluded ways to hang out.

I don't blame op for being suspicious. Even if the girl is innocent, I doubt the guy she took with her had no bad intentions
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Salon
She might have a gay friend! Most girls do.

Nope, fortunately for me she has a couple of guy friends haha
Reply 22
Original post by AlmightyJesus
no that's not jealousy, that a bit of a red light in my opinion - we guys are always attracted to girls even those that we labels "just our friends" - that's how we are. for example, what were you other than "just a friend" before you and your girlfriend became an official couple? was this at the same time one of you was going out with another person? that's the thing - it always starts as "just friends" and more and more goes on later

Yeah thats my main thinking, is lets be honest, no guy and girl in my opinion are friends, theres always something... i would never approach a girl with intentions of becoming friends.
Reply 23
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Here are your options OP:

1. Get over it.

2. Break up with her.

Eh, I'd probably let it slide, unless she starts seeing this guy a lot, in which case it's probably a warning sign.

Well shes coming back to uni tomorrow which is in different country to her home, so guess she wont be seeing him alot in person now.
Reply 24
Kind of insecure kind of not, does sound a bit secluded and some have said the fact she told you means nothing happened but that's not true, idk how I feel about that, i'd probably let it go on the basis of trust and just ignore it but I would definitely be a little suspicious if her mood towards me started changing.
Reply 25
Original post by trm1
Well shes coming back to uni tomorrow which is in different country to her home, so guess she wont be seeing him alot in person now.

I know a lot of people will say this is a good thing but it only takes one night to cheat, if she only has a few weeks to see him it could be even worse.
Reply 26
omg chill. she only went to the cinema.. no its not an intimate setting at all?! theres people all around you.. in front, behind and besides you. You're there to watch a movie. My boyfriend and I have also gone home for easter. He's been nagging to watch deadpool for weeks - I was not interested. One of the first things he did was go to the cinema to watch it with his friends who are interested (ok so it happened to be boys) but deadpool typically attracts a male crowd? not exactly a girly film is it, so its no surprise she went with a guy. They talked in the car - how else were they meant to get there, teleport? Ofcourse you'll catch up with old friends especially ones abroad. She probably updated her friend about having a new boyfriend etc!

You have NO reason to worry. If it turns out after all this she does leave you for him or something like that (very slim %) but still, then she wasn't the one for you. Relax.
Reply 27
Original post by LiquidGold
Personally i really dont see a problem with it. I wouldn't bat an eyelid if my boyfriend went to the cinema with a female friend, i trust him completely. I also know he would be fine with it the other way round.

I can sort of understand why it makes you feel insecure and i would suggest bringing it up with your girlfriend and talking it through if it bothers you that much (but try to just be logical first instead of thinking emotionally). DO NOT accuse her of anything or try and make her think it's wrong, because it's not. Maybe it's because she didn't tell you straight away that it was a guy so it made you feel like she was hiding something? I dont know.

I would be fine with my boyfriend bringing something like this up and saying he feels insecure about it, because we could talk it through. Once she explains more maybe that he is an old friend, reinforces that it is completely platonic, just a catch up etc it should make you feel better.
What i would absolutely not be okay with is if he didnt want me to do it again or accused me of anything, as the trust would be broken.

Also, whether this guy fancies her or not is completely irrelevant. If you trust her it shouldnt matter.

I feel like my hands are tied to just get over it, as I've thought about bringing it up but it just screams that i dont trust her... and shes coming back tonight from home (abroad) after abit of long distance so dont want to ruin tonight

I would doubt i would go to the cinema with a girl if they asked me to hang out or anything as i would feel really uncomfortable doing so having my girlfriend.
Reply 28
It's not like she's f***ed him in the cinema
I mean come on... She probably just gave him head whilst they were "chatting"
Reply 29
read some more replies.. are all you people crazy insecure?! CHILLLLLL. Its even less suspicious if its a friend from her home land. Granted I wouldnt go out of my way to make new friends with guys now.. but what about the ones im already friends with? Especially childhood friends that you grew up with? Went to the same school.. have lots of mutual friends.. families possibly know eachotehr etc. These are just old/home friends who are not interested in eachother sexually. Don't be so paranoid as to suspect every single man she goes near!! It is okay to stay friends. I for one, have a very close male friend who I speak to about allsorts - how hard uni is, friends drama (he knows my friends from home because he is from the same small town!), even my boyfriend quite a lot because thats a big part of my life now. And its absolutely fine. My boyfriend knows and after reading this thread i feel lucky that he's so chilled about it. Trust is so important in a relationship!
Reply 30
Original post by tpxvs
read some more replies.. are all you people crazy insecure?! CHILLLLLL. Its even less suspicious if its a friend from her home land. Granted I wouldnt go out of my way to make new friends with guys now.. but what about the ones im already friends with? Especially childhood friends that you grew up with? Went to the same school.. have lots of mutual friends.. families possibly know eachotehr etc. These are just old/home friends who are not interested in eachother sexually. Don't be so paranoid as to suspect every single man she goes near!! It is okay to stay friends. I for one, have a very close male friend who I speak to about allsorts - how hard uni is, friends drama (he knows my friends from home because he is from the same small town!), even my boyfriend quite a lot because thats a big part of my life now. And its absolutely fine. My boyfriend knows and after reading this thread i feel lucky that he's so chilled about it. Trust is so important in a relationship!

Yeah i get what your saying. and just need someone to knock me on the head and tell me your being stupid with these kind of things. I just find the whole lets go to the cinema etc as a catch up kinda weird place to do so... like shes been out to dinner etc these last couple of weeks to catch up with people and thats fine to me.

Oh lol i wouldnt have come up, no one from her home knows about me... i think her family know of me but not that were together or anything.
Reply 31
Original post by tpxvs
omg chill. she only went to the cinema.. no its not an intimate setting at all?! theres people all around you.. in front, behind and besides you. You're there to watch a movie. My boyfriend and I have also gone home for easter. He's been nagging to watch deadpool for weeks - I was not interested. One of the first things he did was go to the cinema to watch it with his friends who are interested (ok so it happened to be boys) but deadpool typically attracts a male crowd? not exactly a girly film is it, so its no surprise she went with a guy. They talked in the car - how else were they meant to get there, teleport? Ofcourse you'll catch up with old friends especially ones abroad. She probably updated her friend about having a new boyfriend etc!

You have NO reason to worry. If it turns out after all this she does leave you for him or something like that (very slim %) but still, then she wasn't the one for you. Relax.

Way to undermine yourself.
Reply 32
Original post by trm1
Yeah i get what your saying. and just need someone to knock me on the head and tell me your being stupid with these kind of things. I just find the whole lets go to the cinema etc as a catch up kinda weird place to do so... like shes been out to dinner etc these last couple of weeks to catch up with people and thats fine to me.

Oh lol i wouldnt have come up, no one from her home knows about me... i think her family know of me but not that were together or anything.

Just have a 3sum lol
Original post by trm1
Hi Everyone,

So i realise this is going to come off as a really jealous boyfriend and i'm really trying not to be that guy. But last night my girlfriend went to the cinema with another guy and it has really gotten to me.We've been together for a few months and shes gone back home for Easter break, so its turned into long distance again, shes from abroad. And i knew she was going to the cinema tonight, i just didn't know who and didn't give it much thought, only that i was jealous that she was going to see the new Deadpool and i've yet to watch it lol.

Anyway, she calls me when she gets back before bed like usual and proceeds to tell me about her and her friend going to the cinema etc giving no indication about the gender of this friend. It wasn't until she mentioned talking in his car for a while after the film when he drove her back did I find out it was a guy she went to the cinema with.

Now i cant shake the feeling of not being comfortable with the whole thing. I know i cant choose who my girlfriend hangs out with and should be comfortable with her hanging out with guys and girls. but just the fact it was to the cinema, which to me is quite a intimate setting, e.g. dark, just them two etc. and then sat in the car for a while talking when she got back i just cant swallow. As soon as she said sat in the car and talked she mentioned because you cant really catch up with a friend in the cinema which is fair enough.

Anyway, am i overthinking this and my insecurity taking over? How do you guys feel about your girlfriends going to the cinema with a guy?Cheers

lol
Original post by Lawliettt
If you're talking about going with a group of friends then fair enough.

But if yours like OPs gfs scenario where it's just the 2 of you then maybe they just don't find you attractive enough?

Hanging out with a few male friends is one thing. Going to the cinema with one of them then talking in the car for a while afterwards is another story. I don't even do that with friends of the same gender lol. I can't imagine going to the cinema with only one girl despite seeing her as a friend. There are cheaper, less secluded ways to hang out.

I don't blame op for being suspicious. Even if the girl is innocent, I doubt the guy she took with her had no bad intentions

Some of them did but aside from trying to hug me they were respectful enough not to do much of anything. Then again I wasn't in a relationship at the time either

I see your point though, but still, what's the point of having a relationship if there's no trust there? Might aswell break it up right there and then
Why should it be different if it's a male or female friend?

smh at society today
Reply 36
Original post by homeland.lsw
Good on you for acknowledging the possibility of an LGBT affair :borat:

Equality is one of my middle names. :u:
Original post by John55
Equality is one of my middle names. :u:

yah!
It depends on your relationship and where the boundaries are set, and how good your communication is, I guess.

if things are a little rough at the moment, then that would be a flag. If things are going well, then that wouldn't be too much of a problem. Though, depends on what type of person she and he is.

Generally though, I'd say I would be bothered by it.
Original post by Alexion
Why should it be different if it's a male or female friend?

smh at society today

Because there's obviously a higher chance of cheating going on if she's hanging out with a guy?

smh at SJW's today

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending