The Student Room Group

Do you support the junior doctors strike?

Poll

Do you support the Junior doctors strike?

What are your views on the junior doctors striking and do you think the government is being unfair with them.

In my opinion I agree with the strike.
Yeh, I agree with them.
No, I don't.
Yes

The right to strike is a fundamental right and one I completely support

But as I am a mature student I know what it's like in the real world when companies can fire people or change working conditions on a whim and it's these rights (and the right to join a Union) that prevents employers from some of the worse abuses.
It might be helpful to add a poll. :beard:
Reply 5
Original post by Hydeman
It might be helpful to add a poll. :beard:

how do u add a poll
Reply 6
Original post by KingBradly
Yeh, I agree with them.

why?
I support the junior doctors in their aims, however I'm not sure that I agree that striking is necessarily the right course of action. While I agree that the right to strike is a fundamental right, we sometimes override this right with professions that are simply too important to the functioning of our society, for example the police are not allowed to strike. I believe junior doctors to be in this category.
Reply 8
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
I support the junior doctors in their aims, however I'm not sure that I agree that striking is necessarily the right course of action. While I agree that the right to strike is a fundamental right, we sometimes override this right with professions that are simply too important to the functioning of our society, for example the police are not allowed to strike. I believe junior doctors to be in this category.

But how else can they voice their opinion?
Original post by yeah1106
why?

Because it's a good idea to treat the people who can save your life well.
I hate this notion that because they're doctors its awful of them to strike because peoples lives will be put at risk. Maybe you should look to you're government to negotiate a deal then. Its not like doctors strike every couple of years holding the government to ransom
Reply 11
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I hate this notion that because they're doctors its awful of them to strike because peoples lives will be put at risk. Maybe you should look to you're government to negotiate a deal then. Its not like doctors strike every couple of years holding the government to ransom

i agree with u
Reply 12

there are others doctors in the hospitals.
But how else can they voice their opinion?
Well I seem to remember a few years ago when the doctors were planning to strike somebody suggested a sort of 'semi strike' whereby the doctors would remain to treat patients, and do admin directly related to patient care, while boycotting all non essential admin. This is somewhere in between.

I do hope the junior doctors win in their fight against the government, but I'm not sure they will. I don't think they have managed to successfully communicate to the public the dangers of the new contracts, and the public are still ill-informed. If public opinion turns against the doctors, it will be hard for them to win

Original post by d1ck
there are others doctors in the hospitals.

Well this is technically true. But last month, a few thousand operations were cancelled due to strikes. It's simply not as easy to put other doctors on it.
Reply 14
Well I seem to remember a few years ago when the doctors were planning to strike somebody suggested a sort of 'semi strike' whereby the doctors would remain to treat patients, and do admin directly related to patient care, while boycotting all non essential admin. This is somewhere in between.

I do hope the junior doctors win in their fight against the government, but I'm not sure they will. I don't think they have managed to successfully communicate to the public the dangers of the new contracts, and the public are still ill-informed. If public opinion turns against the doctors, it will be hard for them to win

Well this is technically true. But last month, a few thousand operations were cancelled due to strikes. It's simply not as easy to put other doctors on it.

i don't know if u know but the doctors tried to raise money to take the gov to court and in over an hour they reached their target goal because of the public so i think the public are well informed
i don't know if u know but the doctors tried to raise money to take the gov to court and in over an hour they reached their target goal because of the public so i think the public are well informed

How many people donated as a proportion of the popuation?

Quick Reply

Latest