The Student Room Group

The state of Israel

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yael
It is anti-Semitic because many people take it as an opportunity to channel their hatred against the Jewish people, in Israel and in diaspora, through the support of anti-Israel propaganda (which in itself is borderline anti-Semitic).

So talking about the crimes committed by the state of Israel towards those in the West Bank and Gaza is considered antisemitic? Is boycotting of Israeli goods and products also antisemitic? What about Jews who protest against Israel's crimes?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by queen-bee
So talking about the crimes committed by the state of Israel towards those in the West Bank and Gaza is considered antisemitic? Is boycotting of Israeli goods and products also antisemitic? What about Jews who protest against Israel's crimes?

That's not what she's saying. Her point is similar to others made on this thread: rarely are people able to make genuine distinctions between Israel's human rights claims and generalising about the Jews.
Original post by Yael
Yes, and that makes it anti-Semitic.

It's the same result, same hatred channeled.

No. Israel is a country, Judaism a religion. Opposing a country is not anti Semitic. Is it anti Christian to criticise Britain? If I slate Japan does that make me anti-atheist?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bornblue
No. Israel is a country, Judaism a religion. Opposing a country is not anti Semitic. Is it anti Christian to criticise Britain? If I slate Japan does that make me anti-atheist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who told you that anti-Semitism is criticism of Judaism?
Original post by admonit

Is it anti-buddhist if I criticise China's actions in Tibet?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it anti-buddhist if I criticise China's actions in Tibet?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know that people of Tibet practice Buddhism? :cool:

And please answer my question:
Original post by admonit
You have spoken the truth.

Good luck on trump winning the election,do any other world leaders outside the US even like him?

Do you support Trump? :holmes:

I'm still waiting for the boycott of goods and products from Lebanon.
Original post by admonit
Do you know that people of Tibet practice Buddhism? :cool:

And please answer my question:

Anti semitism is a term which is manipulated by both sides. I see anti-semitism as being prejudiced against Jewish people for reason of being Jewish, same with islamlahobia and Muslims.

Criticising Israel is not anti semitic just like criticising Saudi Arabia is not Islamaphobic.

It seems people will try and shut any debate down by accusing the other person of one of the two.
Original post by tengentoppa
It's not inherently anti-semitic to criticise Israel. Some of their actions can be seen as objectively reprehensible.

However, it's also true that criticism of Israel is sometimes founded on anti-semitism. One can't help but feel that if it were another Muslim state acting this way towards Palestine, there would not be the same response in the Muslim world. There was nowhere near the same outcry when the Saudi-led intervention in Yemen caused a massive humanitarian crisis.

The Muslim states who kick up a fuss about Israel do not do so because of some perceived kinship with their Palestinian brothers, but because they hate Israel on account of the fact that it is a Jewish state. This perceived kinship clearly does not exist. The number of Muslims killed by Israel pales into insignificance relative to the number of Muslims killed by fellow Muslim states.

So while criticism of Israel is not necessarily anti-semitic, one should be aware that much of the criticism of Israel in some quarters does indeed stem from this.

All of this. A lot of them don't want a Jewish state to exist despite there being many Muslim majority countries.
Original post by TheBBQ
All of this. A lot of them don't want a Jewish state to exist despite there being many Muslim majority countries.

Er, what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aceadria
That's not what she's saying. Her point is similar to others made on this thread: rarely are people able to make genuine distinctions between Israel's human rights claims and generalising about the Jews.

Plenty of people are perfectly capable of such distinctions. Sure, we get a few nutters, but that's what they are, the kind of crazy marginalised Stormfront types.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anti semitism is a term which is manipulated by both sides. I see anti-semitism as being prejudiced against Jewish people for reason of being Jewish,

Are "Jewish people" and "Judaism" synonyms? Are you serious?
same with islamlahobia and Muslims.

And again you go to religion. Astoundingly!
I think most people haven't realized that the Arabs make up the vast majority of the Semites in the world
Original post by admonit
Are "Jewish people" and "Judaism" synonyms? Are you serious?

And again you go to religion. Astoundingly!

Judaism is a religion, islam is a religion. Neither are races.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Epicurean
Do you support Trump? :holmes:

I'm still waiting for the boycott of goods and products from Lebanon.

:naughty:

I don't think we will be seeing that anytime soon
Original post by anarchism101

Which muslim country recognizes Israel as a Jewish state?
Is criticism of the state of Israel considered antisemitic?
I've seen this happen quite a few times on this forum,where someone will talk about crimes committed by the state of Israel and Palestinian territory being stolen and someone will jump in to accuse them of being antisemitic. I'm just curious

nope - I personally think the west should never have established the state of israel in its obvious zionist form - it was obvious that wars and conflicts would come out of it, and jewish people can't be said to deserve their own state just because of the holocaust - that's insane. in that case, gypsies, gay people etc do as well, and most people would obviously say that was a silly idea.
but do you think hamas are justified in their terrorist tactics? is it proportional or necessary? I don't. at least israel is somewhat of a democracy while palestine basically isn;t (and nor are their neighbouring nations). I think in many cases, israel's attacks on hamas is justified
(edited 8 years ago)
Judaism is a religion, islam is a religion. Neither are races.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I give up. :cool:
Original post by admonit
Which muslim country recognizes Israel as a Jewish state?

No country "recognises Israel as a Jewish state". States merely diplomatically recognise each other, not their ethnic makeups or nationalisms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlmightyJesus
nope - I personally think the west should never have established the state of israel in its obvious zionist form - it was obvious that wars and conflicts would come out of it, and jewish people can't be said to deserve their own state just because of the holocaust - that's insane. in that case, gypsies, gay people etc do as well, and most people would obviously say that was a silly idea.
but do you think hamas are justified in their terrorist tactics? is it proportional or necessary? I don't. at least israel is somewhat of a democracy while palestine basically isn;t (and nor are their neighbouring nations)

Hamas are just as bad. I don't think the situation is going to improve anytime soon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending