The Student Room Group

The state of Israel

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
Hamas are just as bad. I don't think the situation is going to improve anytime soon

Their propaganda songs sound so cool though :lol:
Hamas are just as bad. I don't think the situation is going to improve anytime soon

you think the terrorists against israel are just as bad as israel? how? they are the aggressors. they deliberately aim to kill non-combatants. we're not talking about the PLO here, we're talking about the hamas organisation which is literally an organisation of jihad
edit: oh wait, I've now just found out that the PLO are *also* terrorists...well **** they're all just awful in palestine apparently
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by anarchism101
Plenty of people are perfectly capable of such distinctions. Sure, we get a few nutters, but that's what they are, the kind of crazy marginalised Stormfront types.

But it isn't just "marginalised Stormfront types". The core idea of antisemitism is 'distaste or empathy for Jews' and a significantly high number still believe age-old stereotypes about them (e.g. 'they control the world's media organisations and most governments'). I highly doubt these people can distinguish between what is considered criticism of an action by the Israeli government and antisemitism.
Original post by AlmightyJesus
you think the terrorists against israel are just as bad as israel? how? they are the aggressors. they deliberately aim to kill non-combatants. we're not talking about the PLO here, we're talking about the hamas organisation which is literally an organisation of jihad

She has a point. I would say that starving out a population, systematically displacing them and ignoring international law when it suits you to do so makes Israel an aggressor as well.

Maybe not to the same extent but both should be held accountable for their crimes.
Original post by anarchism101
No country "recognises Israel as a Jewish state". States merely diplomatically recognise each other, not their ethnic makeups or nationalisms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not about diplomacy. Have you ever heard about Palestinian state for Palestinian people?
Original post by WBZ144
She has a point. I would say that starving out a population, systematically displacing them and ignoring international law when it suits you to do so makes Israel an aggressor as well.

"displacing" I agree with if you're talking about since 1948
but starving? well, again, if hamas began this conflict and starving seems to work against hamas then I don't think you can blame israel for using tactics that will work when others will not. remember, the west bombed german and japanese civilian cities only because that's what the nazis/japanese were doing to the west.
Maybe not to the same extent but both should be held accountable for their crimes.

well that's the thing - while I don't think israel should ever have been set up, I think it would be unreasonable for you to expect them to not fight back against gaza/palestine when hamas obviously dominate in those areas. what do you think israel should do to get rid of the terrorists?
can you guys research who brought in a antisemitism law and why are the jes only protected against this also why is the holocaust denial a crime? cant seem to understand why these came about gives even more reason to doubt. because its a crime it stops intellectual people looking into and researching the facts. WAKE UP TO THE TRUTH>
well that's the thing - while I don't think israel should ever have been set up, I think it would be unreasonable for you to expect them to not fight back against gaza/palestine when hamas obviously dominate in those areas. what do you think israel should do to get rid of the terrorists?

The issue I have here is innocent children and women being targeted,like the 4 boys who were killed on the beach whilst playing back in 2014,in Gaza.

What options are there? Nothing has worked so far
Original post by admonit
I give up. :cool:

I'm glad you do. Don't try and make out like Judaism or Islam are races.
And stop trying to shut down debates over Israel by claiming anyone who opposes Israel's foreign policies are anti Semitic.
The issue I have here is innocent children and women being targeted,like the 4 boys who were killed on the beach whilst playing back in 2014,in Gaza.

you're telling me that israel and hamas (terrorists) are equally in the wrong, but when you say that israel can't do anything that will work and hence they resort to extraordinary measures (obviously with the accidental bombings of kids, that's horrific, but I don't think any israeli general in his right mind would have done that regarding israel's IR reputation), I think that's pretty unreasonable. hamas began this war, and they could end it now, but they won't, so accidents like that beach bombing are going to continue. so I blame hamas. israel didn't have a choice in this war, and they don't have a choice in whether to defend themselves or not - the aim of any government is to protect its people. their hands are tied. but hamas' aren't. so it's hamas' fault entirely.

I'll find the links Queen but I'm sure they were targeted as they were running from or to a know Launch site for rockets

Now I think we can all agree you don't let children play around military sites unless you want them to be killed (and did you know that allowing children to play around military targets during he time of a conflict is considered a war crime the same as if a person knowing moves towards a gun battle that person loses their protected status according to international law (something we all know the pallys encourage during there fights with Israel)
(edited 8 years ago)
you're telling me that israel and hamas (terrorists) are equally in the wrong, but when you say that israel can't do anything that will work and hence they resort to extraordinary measures (obviously with the accidental bombings of kids, that's horrific, but I don't think any israeli general in his right mind would have done that regarding israel's IR reputation), I think that's pretty unreasonable. hamas began this war, and they could end it now, but they won't, so accidents like that beach bombing are going to continue. so I blame hamas. israel didn't have a choice in this war, and they don't have a choice in whether to defend themselves or not - the aim of any government is to protect its people. their hands are tied. but hamas' aren't. so it's hamas' fault entirely.

I'm not saying Israel shouldn't do anything to protect itself from Hamas but I'm pointing out that nothing seems to be working,on both sides. This isn't the first time Israel have been known to target civilian building,there have been many cases and same goes for Hamas. Also,when you hear stories of Israeli soldiers targeting innocent gazans for fun and games,it's just not on
I'm not saying Israel shouldn't do anything to protect itself from Hamas but I'm pointing out that nothing seems to be working,on both sides. This isn't the first time Israel have been known to target civilian building,there have been many cases and same goes for Hamas. Also,when you hear stories of Israeli soldiers targeting innocent gazans for fun and games,it's just not on

well think about it: if there are terrorists in the midsts of citizens, and those terrorists are going to potentially bomb your own citizens, then you would be reasonable as a state to sacrifice their citizens' safety for the safety of your own citizens, seeing as a state's first responsibility is to protect their own citizens. so that's how hamas are far worse - if they weren't doing this to israel, israel would never be in that situation to make such difficult choices to begin with. I really don't know how you can say they're both as bad as each other.
(edited 8 years ago)
"displacing" I agree with if you're talking about since 1948
but starving? well, again, if hamas began this conflict and starving seems to work against hamas then I don't think you can blame israel for using tactics that will work when others will not. remember, the west bombed german and japanese civilian cities only because that's what the nazis/japanese were doing to the west.

Not 1948 only, are you not aware of the illegal settlements that Israel is continuously expanding on while displacing Palestinians in the process?

It's not like I agree with the tactics used on the Germans and especially the Japanese either but they can't be compared to an occupied people.
Original post by WBZ144
Not 1948 only, are you not aware of the illegal settlements that Israel is continuously expanding on while displacing Palestinians in the process?

educate me

It's not like I agree with the tactics used on the Germans and especially the Japanese either but they can't be compared to an occupied people.

do you not think the atomic bombings of japan stops the japanese from continuing to massacre the far east?
Original post by Bornblue
I'm glad you do.

I gave up because you unable to understand me or don't want to.
Don't try and make out like Judaism or Islam are races.

What? Where I said it? Quote please.
And stop trying to shut down debates over Israel by claiming anyone who opposes Israel's foreign policies are anti Semitic.

And were I did this?
Again, quote please.
Original post by admonit
I gave up because you unable to understand me or don't want to.

What? Where I said it? Quote please.

And were I did this?
Again, quote please.

What on earth is your point?
Mine is that criticism of Israel, a country, is not anti-Semitic.
:naughty:

I don't think we will be seeing that anytime soon

It's sad that the almost half a million Palestinians in Lebanon get little to no recognition of support.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending