The Student Room Group

Female Proster gets maced after punching man at a Trump Rally

Protester*** (goddamn my keyboard)

the taste of true gender equality (here) is pepper spray :jebus:

what do you guys think? do you think this was proportional? do you think the man had a right to defend himself? or do you think that it was wrong because of the culture/tradition of chivalry which contradicts gender equality?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AlmightyJesus
Protester*** (goddamn my keyboard)

the taste of true gender equality (here) is pepper spray :jebus:

what do you guys think? do you think this was proportional? do you think the man had a right to defend himself? or do you think that it was wrong because of the culture/tradition of chivalry which contradicts gender equality?

Aaaah, the peppery taste of justice :h:
Reply 2
I detest Trump as much as the next person, but if you walk into a rally full of his supporters and attempt to start being provocative and lash out at people i will struggle to be sympathetic.

Maybe not proportional considering she could have easily been removed without the spray, but still a result of her own actions and not grossly dis-proportional.
Reply 3
Of course he had the right to defend himself. It was nice of him to only pepper spray her after she punched him, he fully had the right to punch her back. The fact that she's a woman has nothing to do with it, she shouldn't be provoking anyone and her aggression was unjustified.

Honestly if you do get aggressive for no reason then you deserve to get worse that what you give. Only an idiot throws rocks at a lion who can eat you. Hope she learned her lesson.
Original post by JG1233
I detest Trump as much as the next person, but if you walk into a rally full of his supporters and attempt to start being provocative and lash out at people i will struggle to be sympathetic.

Maybe not proportional considering she could have easily been removed without the spray, but still a result of her own actions and not grossly dis-proportional.

well, she had just thrown a punch to the guy's face - a pepper spraying is obviously meant to stun you and stop you from fighting. so how would it not have been proportional to restrain her? what else would you prefer? getting her out of the premises would obviously risk the safety of those who had the difficult task of doing that. I'm thinking if her gender was male she'd get a much more fair analysis
Reply 5
well, she had just thrown a punch to the guy's face - a pepper spraying is obviously meant to stun you and stop you from fighting. so how would it not have been proportional to restrain her? what else would you prefer? getting her out of the premises would obviously risk the safety of those who had the difficult task of doing that. I'm thinking if her gender was male she'd get a much more fair analysis

Spraying pepper spray into a crowded area is a pretty stupid idea. It probably effected to some extent half the people stood around her as well.
Considering there was security everywhere and plenty of people on the scene, it wouldn't have been difficult to remove her without pepper spray which can blind people if sprayed from that close a distance.

Like said its not mega-disproportional and i wouldn't probably punish the sprayer. But it could have been dealt with much better.
Reply 6
Original post by JG1233

What the hell does that mean? The "next person" doesn't detest Trump. Maybe it Lilliput (England|) they do, but that doesn't amount to a hill of beans.
Original post by JG1233
Spraying pepper spray into a crowded area is a pretty stupid idea. It probably effected to some extent half the people stood around her as well.
Considering there was security everywhere and plenty of people on the scene, it wouldn't have been difficult to remove her without pepper spray which can blind people if sprayed from that close a distance.

Like said its not mega-disproportional and i wouldn't probably punish the sprayer. But it could have been dealt with much better.

watch the footage again and see if anybody was affected because I didn't see anybody affected; it didn't seem like a spray that could disperse into every direction but more like a water-based one.

and pepper spray can only temporarily blind you if it's sprayed right into your eyes, but that's only temporarily, not permanently - and it went more into her nose.

and by the way, let's think of the retributive aspect of this case - if she's just punched a person in the face, would you say that pepper spray or a punch to her face back would be better?
Title is misleading. Macing is much more serious than pepper spraying.
Reply 9
She's lucky. He could have unloaded a .38 into her head. Self defence.
Original post by JG1233

You can't effect a person.
Reply 11
Original post by morgan8002
Title is misleading. Macing is much more serious than pepper spraying.

No it isn't.
Reply 12
watch the footage again and see if anybody was affected because I didn't see anybody affected; it didn't seem like a spray that could disperse into every direction but more like a water-based one.

and pepper spray can only temporarily blind you if it's sprayed right into your eyes, but that's only temporarily, not permanently - and it went more into her nose.

and by the way, let's think of the retributive aspect of this case - if she's just punched a person in the face, would you say that pepper spray or a punch to her face back would be better?

Even if it didn't, it's still stupid because it definitely had the potential too.

And there definatley has been people who have been permanently blinded by pepper spray.

https://www.rt.com/usa/160260-mistrial-cop-pepper-spray-blind/

In this case it was barely a foot from her face as well.

And as i've already said.... neither? Why in your head are the only two options to pepper spray or punch her? Why was restrain (which wouldn't have been difficult with the amount of people present+security) and then maybe arrest for assault.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by morgan8002
You can't effect a person.

That was all you managed to pick up on that whole paragraph?

Ok.
Original post by JG1233
Even if it didn't, it's still stupid because it definitely had the potential too.

And there definatley has been people who have been permanently blinded by pepper spray.

https://www.rt.com/usa/160260-mistrial-cop-pepper-spray-blind/

In this case it was barely a foot from her face as well.

And as i've already said.... neither? Why in your head are the only two options to pepper spray or punch her? Why was restrain (which wouldn't have been difficult with the amount of people present+security) and then maybe arrest for assault.

well I highly doubt that the pepper spray in that video was of that same force because to be honest the girl wasn't flinching nearly as much as some people do when you see other videos of pepper spraying on youtube. hence why the man probably didn't need to stand back as much.

and why would you merely restrain her when you can retribute against her for her unhinged unprovoked aggression? our whole justice system is based on retribution.
Reply 15
and why would you merely restrain her when you can retribute against her for her unhinged unprovoked aggression? our whole justice system is based on retribution.

Our justice system doesn't include mob rule though.
In court when being found guilty of an assault you never get sentenced to 5 punches in the face. Only in more backwards style countries are violent crimes (sometimes non) met with violent punishment, and i don't really wan't to try and emulate those cultures.

The fact you would rather see her punched in the face rather than restrained and maybe arrested tells me a lot.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JG1233
In court when being found guilty of an assault you never get sentenced to 5 punches in the face.

so with this logic, if somebody in the streets is beating you up, you can't beat them up back. that's stupid. the police aren't always there. as long as you don't ****ing kill them I think harming a person after they've harmed you is necessary.

The fact you would rather see her punched in the face rather than restrained and maybe arrested tells me a lot.

because justice suggests that if somebody wrongs you, you wrong them back. that's balanced.
Original post by JG1233
In court when being found guilty of an assault you never get sentenced to 5 punches in the face. Only in more backwards style countries are violent crimes (sometimes non) met with violent punishment, and i don't really wan't to try and emulate those cultures.

I find it distasteful the level to which people are celebrating this I admit, however in this instance, it looks like a clear case of self-defense.
OBVIOUSLY he had no right to defend himself, let her throw another one at him.
Reply 19
so with this logic, if somebody in the streets is beating you up, you can't beat them up back. that's stupid. the police aren't always there. as long as you don't ****ing kill them I think harming a person after they've harmed you is necessary.

That is self defence. If the person is defending themselves from further harm and the only way to do it is to fight, sure.

But are you telling me that entire crowd of hundreds of Trump supporters plus security couldn't defend themselves from her without punching or pepper spray?

If somebody is beating you up on the street you can defend yourself. If you then proceed to kick the crap out of them when they are down of course you would be arrested because you are no longer defending yourself.

Like i've already said places that meet violent crimes with violent offences exist, but they are definitely not countries i would like to emulate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending