The Student Room Group

The Journey of achieving straight A's in my AS-Level Examinations

Hi everyone,

I've made this on the basis to motivate myself to actually do some work up to my exams and to help everyone with how to revise.
I'll be posting at least once a day about what i've done and probably building up more to around the time of the exams.

I'm in my first year doing my AS-Levels, studying,

AQA Law
Edexcel Business Studies
Edexcel Economics
OCR Mathematics

My targets for this year is AAAA.

First Mock Exam Results

Law - A (73/94)
Business Studies - A (64/80)
Economics - A (50/50 and 45/50)
Mathematics - A (70/72)

Second Mock Exam Results

Law - A (28/30 and 30/30)
Business Studies - ( Haven't got back yet)
Economics - A (60/80 and 63/80)
Mathematics - A (71/72 and 63/72)

If anyone has any questions or needs help with revision then feel free to ask. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
29th March 2016 - Update

Completed 15 pages of condensed revision notes that would hopefully get 100% in the exam for Unit 1 Law,

5 Pages of Criminal courts and lay people
3 Pages of Delegated legislation
7 Pages of Statutory interpretation

I've also read over these notes and have learnt them word for word. :smile:
*Sorry for interrupting the thread*

But wow, well done on your mock results! What are your revision tips for someone who is really struggling to revise ? I do Law too and my other subjects are very much content based too. I struggle with making notes and end up just reading over textbooks,etc. How do manage to remember all the content?! Sorry for bombarding you with questions! Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by katebeckett
*Sorry for interrupting the thread*

But wow, well done on your mock results! What are your revision tips for someone who is really struggling to revise ? I do Law too and my other subjects are very much content based too. I struggle with making notes and end up just reading over textbooks,etc. How do manage to remember all the content?! Sorry for bombarding you with questions! Thanks!

Thank you. When revising, the specification is really important, because it tells you everything thay could come up on the exam. That's how i primarily revise. First i break down the specification and retype my notes on word (you could do it on powerpoint.), then anything your not sure on read it again. It does take a while, but it does work.

Also don't make a revision timetable, make a list of everything you want to achieve and be realistic, because most of the time no one sticks to it and you'll just be unmotivated.

Finally specifically for law it's primarily about the points of law, so make sure you can explain them and then apply with cases. In college you may have been told the exact wordng for a case and then you've been told to remember it, as long as you can tell the examiner the point of law, state a case or statute accurately and then explain how it relates to the law, then this will result in easier revision, as there isn't much to revise. Also create interesting ways to remember casea, e.g. create some innuendo and if you're a visual learner go ontp youtube and revise from that.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Original post by Bruce267099
Thank you. When revising, the specification is really important, because it tells you everything thay could come up on the exam. That's how i primarily revise. First i break down the specification and retype my notes on word (you could do it on powerpoint.), then anything your not sure on read it again. It does take a while, but it does work.

Also don't make a revision timetable, make a list of everything you want to achieve and be realistic, because most of the time no one sticks to it and you'll just be unmotivated.

Finally specifically for law it's primarily about the points of law, so make sure you can explain them and then apply with casevs. In college you may have been told the exact wordng for a case and then you've been told to remember it, as long as you can tell the examiner the point of law, state a case or statute accurately and then explain how it relates to the law, then this will result in easier revision, as there isn't much to revise. Also create interesting ways to remember casea, e.g. create some innuendo and if you're a visual learner go ontp youtube and revise from that.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Hi, do you retype class notes or use resources like the textbook/revision guides? And yes haha, revision timetablea have never worked for me at all. Ok I will focus on the points of law and I have to improve my application. How much hours of revision do you recommend a day in the Easter holidays, seeing as you are doing 4AS levels too. Once again thanks!!
Reply 5
Hi, do you retype class notes or use resources like the textbook/revision guides? And yes haha, revision timetablea have never worked for me at all. Ok I will focus on the points of law and I have to improve my application. How much hours of revision do you recommend a day in the Easter holidays, seeing as you are doing 4AS levels too. Once again thanks!!

I'm doing 4 hours minimum per day and at a max 6 hours. It's a good amount of time to cover at least 1 unit in detail.

I've been retyping law, but if your confident with some of the content just skip that part and read over it, i also read my revision books whilst I'm retyping alongside my memory. A really good technique for essay based subjects is to list every possible question examiners could ask you and answer it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
30th March 2016 - Update

Today i did 5 hours revision for Law Unit 2 - The Concept of Liability.
I used an app called Quizlet to condense my notes on;

Criminal Law (Actus reus, Mens rea, Strict liability, Non fatal offences and Procedure)
Law of Tort (Duty of care, Breach of duty, Damage, Damages, Res ipsa loquitur and Procedure)

I also recalled all information from Law Unit 1 successfully and i watched some Youtube videos on law.
Original post by Bruce267099
I'm doing 4 hours minimum per day and at a max 6 hours. It's a good amount of time to cover at least 1 unit in detail.

I've been retyping law, but if your confident with some of the content just skip that part and read over it, i also read my revision books whilst I'm retyping alongside my memory. A really good technique for essay based subjects is to list every possible question examiners could ask you and answer it.

Thank you so much for your tips! Very much appreciated! Good luck with your exams and I am sure you will do super well!! 👏
Reply 8
Thank you so much for your tips! Very much appreciated! Good luck with your exams and I am sure you will do super well!! 👏

Thank you! You too.
Reply 9
Update 31st March 2016

Today i filed all my typed work and put it in line with the specifications and filled in any gaps in my notes. In preparation for thorough revision activities in the next 4 days (analysing the specification on a whiteboard, making very condensed points).

I also went on youtube to recap some statistics and completed a core 1 and core 2 past paper.

Core 1 - 71/72 Grade A
Core 2 - 70/72 Grade A
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest