The Student Room Group

Applying for graduate jobs 2 years after graduating?

Hi all,

I graduated in 2014 and have since been working in a pretty respectable position in Logistics (I wouldn't consider it a graduate position though..), I had to take a local job after graduating as I didn't have the money to move out and couldn't drive at the time.

I've since passed my driving test last year and I've saved up a decent amount of money, I'm looking to start applying for graduate jobs that start in late August/September..

Will having graduated 2 years ago work against me in any way? I'm sure loads of people must find themselves in similar positions once they graduate? I suppose on the flip side I've got a decent job on my CV in addition to a few Summer jobs which is all a lot of newly graduated applicants will have?

I know it probably varies from job to job but I'm just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this?

Cheers!
(edited 8 years ago)
A lot of people will have a lot less. just look on your experience as positive and where possible highlight the skills in your current job that can be used in the job you are applying for. Be positive and sell yourself.
You'll be fine. I had a few grad scheme interviews earlier this year and plenty of people there werent graduating this year. Some schemes do have requirements in terms of having lower than a maximum number of years of experience, but even then it's rarely just two years. One guy i met at one had graduated like 10 years before.

Your main problem will be that the majority of grad schemes starting sept have already closed for applications and places filled. But you can try, there are still some others (but not as many/not as good/even more over subscribed). You'll probably be better off looking for grad jobs in general at this time of year, rather than grad schemes. If it gets to it, grad schemes for sept 2017 will open around September/October/November. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending