The Student Room Group

21 and need braces badly

hello, I am 21 female student at university from the uk, and am i need of braces, i have a HC2 certificate and claim free dental treatment but braces are not covered for this, I need braces because my two bottom teeth are so bend they disfigure by tongue to the point it has bite mark chunks out of it and keeps getting ulcers on my tongue witch is very painful. my teeth affect my self confidence badly to the point i take depressants/anxiety tablets which contribute to my teeth and lack of confidence in smiling and talking. is there anyway to get the brace treatment cheaper as i can only work part time as being a student and have no help from family as they are pretty poor.
Original post by LRoe
hello, I am 21 female student at university from the uk, and am i need of braces, i have a HC2 certificate and claim free dental treatment but braces are not covered for this, I need braces because my two bottom teeth are so bend they disfigure by tongue to the point it has bite mark chunks out of it and keeps getting ulcers on my tongue witch is very painful. my teeth affect my self confidence badly to the point i take depressants/anxiety tablets which contribute to my teeth and lack of confidence in smiling and talking. is there anyway to get the brace treatment cheaper as i can only work part time as being a student and have no help from family as they are pretty poor.

ouch nope :frown: it was better to get them done earlier in life as you wouldn't have had to pay for them...
Original post by LRoe

There is no discounted option, braces are either free or full price. The free option is for those with a need which goes beyond cosmetic, as determined by the dentist or orthodontist- its worth pointing out how much trouble your teeth are causing you to your dentist as they may be able to refer you onto to an an orthodontist. However there is no guarantee, and if health professionals say no then afraid there is no cheaper option.
Reply 3
okay thank you i will speak to my dentist about my issue's
If it helps, my brother who started his treatment when he was 22 got braces under the NHS because his teeth were so disfigured. He also needs jaw surgery which is being covered as well. So it is definitely worth asking your dentist.
Reply 5
yeah i will speak to my dentist about it at my next appointment, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending