The Student Room Group

Trig. function problem

Hi everyone,

I have been asked to solve the equation in the attachment, between 0 and 2 pi. I have an answer of 5/12 pi (which is right), but I thought 19/12 pi would solve it, but it doesn't.

Why is this - because the cos graph for radians says that it should?
Reply 1
Original post by Electrogeek
Hi everyone,

I have been asked to solve the equation in the attachment, between 0 and 2 pi. I have an answer of 5/12 pi (which is right), but I thought 19/12 pi would solve it, but it doesn't.

Why is this - because the cos graph for radians says that it should?

We have cos(xπ4)=3/2\cos \left(x - \frac{\pi}{4}\right) = \sqrt{3}/2 so this means that we have since, sqrt(3)/2 is positive:

xπ4=π6or2ππ6\displaystyle x - \frac{\pi}{4} = \frac{\pi}{6} \, \text{or} \, 2\pi - \frac{\pi}{6}.
Reply 2
Cool. So am I right in saying 5/12 pi is the only answer between 0 and 2 pi?
Reply 3

Well... not quite, remember that if π/6\pi/6 is a solution, then so is π/6±2π\pi/6 \pm 2\pi. This gives x outside 2pi and 0, so we ignore it.

Buuut, xπ/4=2ππ/62π=π/6x- \pi/4 = 2\pi - \pi/6 - 2\pi = -\pi/6 is also a solution...
Reply 4

Whilst I've got a few minutes, I'll write up a thing.

So you know that solutions to trig equations are given by using the CAST method, we take the arctrig function of the absolute value of the RHS, in this case: cos132=π6\cos^{-1} \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} = \frac{\pi}{6}.

Now our solutions are given by the infinite list, we can split this into two infinite lists, one is:

xπ4=π6,π6+2π,π62π,π6+4pi,π64pi,π6±2npi,x - \frac{\pi}{4} = \frac{\pi}{6}, \frac{\pi}{6} + 2\pi, \frac{\pi}{6} - 2\pi, \frac{\pi}{6} + 4pi, \frac{\pi}{6} - 4pi, \frac{\pi}{6} \pm 2npi, \ldots

And the other is:

xπ4=2ππ611π/6,11π6±2π,11π6±4π,11π6 pm6pi,x - \frac{\pi}{4} = \underbrace{2\pi - \frac{\pi}{6}}_{11\pi/6}, \frac{11\pi}{6} \pm 2\pi, \frac{11\pi}{6} \pm 4\pi, \frac{11\pi}{6}\ pm 6pi, \ldots

Side note: Getting the idea? The reason why this is so is because cosα\cos \alpha is a 2π2\pi-periodic function so we have: cosα=cos(α±2π)\cos \alpha = \cos (\alpha \pm 2\pi) this is true for sinα\sin \alpha as well - tangent is slightly different in the sense that it is a π\pi-periodic function, so tanα=tan(α±π)\tan \alpha = \tan (\alpha \pm \pi) and instead of adding ±2π\pm 2\pi to each solution, you'd add ±π\pm \pi.

Anyways, the first few solutions are xπ4=11π6,π6,π6,11π6,13π6,23π6x - \frac{\pi}{4} = -\frac{11\pi}{6}, -\frac{\pi}{6}, \frac{\pi}{6}, \frac{11\pi}{6}, \frac{13\pi}{6}, \frac{23\pi}{6}

So adding π/4\pi/4 to both sides and throwing anything that isn't in our range gives us: x=π12,5π12x = \frac{\pi}{12}, \frac{5\pi}{12}
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
Well... not quite, remember that if π/6\pi/6 is a solution, then so is π/6±2π\pi/6 \pm 2\pi. This gives x outside 2pi and 0, so we ignore it.

Buuut, xπ/4=2ππ/62π=π/6x- \pi/4 = 2\pi - \pi/6 - 2\pi = -\pi/6 is also a solution...

Cool - I understand now. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 6
Cool - I understand now. Thanks. :smile:

I typed up something above if you want to have a look. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
I typed up something above if you want to have a look. :smile:

So... would these be right for these equations? (answers are in the attachment)
Reply 8
So... would these be right for these equations? (answers are in the attachment)

Assuming you mean between 0 and 2pi, I agree with the one for tan\tan but not for sin\sin you should have four solutions for the sin one.
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
Assuming you mean between 0 and 2pi, I agree with the one for tan\tan but not for sin\sin you should have four solutions for the sin one.

Are the two given for sin right so far?

Or is is -pi/12 (+/- pi), and 7/6 pi (+/- pi)?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Are the two given for sin right so far?

Or is is -pi/12 (+/- pi), and 7/6 pi (+/- pi)?

Should be 2x=2ππ6,2ππ6±2π,π+π6,π+π6±2π2x = 2\pi - \frac{\pi}{6}, 2\pi - \frac{\pi}{6} \pm 2\pi, \pi + \frac{\pi}{6}, \pi + \frac{\pi}{6} \pm 2\pi

and then throw away everything you don't want.
Original post by Zacken
Should be 2x=2ππ6,2ππ6±2π,π+π6,π+π6±2π2x = 2\pi - \frac{\pi}{6}, 2\pi - \frac{\pi}{6} \pm 2\pi, \pi + \frac{\pi}{6}, \pi + \frac{\pi}{6} \pm 2\pi

and then throw away everything you don't want.

Thank you! Makes a lot more sense now. :smile:
Reply 12
Thank you! Makes a lot more sense now. :smile:

No problem.

Quick Reply

Latest