The Student Room Group

S1 - Discrete Random Variables Q - help please!

Hey guys, just finishing off an S1 past paper and I came across 3 parts to the final question which I am struggling on - I think you have to make a Cumulative Dist Table but I have forgotten how to make it. Here is the Q - it is part e, f and g I am struggling with currently!
Reply 1
Original post by iMacJack
Hey guys, just finishing off an S1 past paper and I came across 3 parts to the final question which I am struggling on - I think you have to make a Cumulative Dist Table but I have forgotten how to make it. Here is the Q - it is part e, f and g I am struggling with currently!

If Jesse is to win after 2 spins that means she has to get (5, 5). That is get 5 on the first spin and get 5 on the second. You know the probability of getting a 5, so getting two 5's is those two probabilities multiplied together.

Can you identify the possible combination of moves for Tom to win after 3 spins?

No cumulative distributions are required.
Reply 2
If you can't spot what Tom needs, then check this:

Spoiler

Reply 3
Original post by Zacken
If Jesse is to win after 2 spins that means she has to get (5, 5). That is get 5 on the first spin and get 5 on the second. You know the probability of getting a 5, so getting two 5's is those two probabilities multiplied together.

Can you identify the possible combination of moves for Tom to win after 3 spins?

No cumulative distributions are required.

Would it be a 4,5 and a 1, 2,5,3, but all the possible combinations of them three? So for example, (4,5), (5,4), (2,5,3), (3,5,2) (5,3,2) etc? Or am I going wrong?

for the part a would it just be 0.2^2, then?

Reply 4
Would it be a 4,5 and a 1, 2,5,3, but all the possible combinations of them three? So for example, (4,5), (5,4), (2,5,3), (3,5,2) (5,3,2) etc? Or am I going wrong?

Remember that Tom only wins if it is even.

for the part a would it just be 0.2^2, then?

Yes, that's correct for part a.
Original post by Zacken

reply to me
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken

Ahhh! I see, thank you!

& @ the other guy, really??....

& couldnt tom also have (5,5,2)??? I thought the total had to be even, not the individual scores
Reply 7
Ahhh! I see, thank you!

& @ the other guy, really??....

& couldnt tom also have (5,5,2)??? I thought the total had to be even, not the individual scores

No, the spinner spins, if it is even the points go to Tom, if it is odd, it goes to Jess. Then the spinner spins again, same thing, and again, same thing - then the total is whatever.
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
No, the spinner spins, if it is even the points go to Tom, if it is odd, it goes to Jess. Then the spinner spins again, same thing, and again, same thing - then the total is whatever.

Oh right okay, thank you Zacken I really appreciate it mate :smile:
Reply 9
Oh right okay, thank you Zacken I really appreciate it mate :smile:

Can you do the last part now? :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
Can you do the last part now? :smile:

Yeah! Thank you :smile:
Reply 11
Yeah! Thank you :smile: