The Student Room Group

Teachers demand schools stop promoting British values over cultural supremacy fears

Scroll to see replies

Some people can use guns to save lives. And some can use them to take lives. Then what's the value of guns? Brand name? What's the value of humanity? Nationality?

"Words do not express Sunyata very well; every thing immediately becomes a little different, a little distorted, a little foolish and yet it also pleases me and seems right that what is of value and wisdom of one man seems nonsense to another."

-Buddha-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
can you guys stop using dailymail? They are unreliable.
Original post by Truths
can you guys stop using dailymail? They are unreliable.

I'm sure they would say the same about left media too like huff post

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whites are the only people on this earth these days who are not allowed anything of their own. We've been abolished.

Everyone else can be proud of their shitty heritage and history, but not us who have contributed so much great things to society. What a joke. If you're going to say slavery and colonialism, those things aren't strictly white.
Its a bit long but I don't see whats wrong with it. Its saying that we should promote British values under universal values and not under the banner of British values. Its just a name but the values are the same and shared. If universal values can have a far reaching effect and can be related better by the non British native population than British values, why not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EccentricDiamond
Non white values are inferior to European values

In this thread we are talking about British values. All of a sudden someone pops up with 'European values'.

Further proves the point of OP. Values do not belong to a specific ethnic group or nation. It is also not static and ever changing. If we want to promote certain values, it must be able to be related to the target audience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Multiculturalism is a bloody troll you idiots.

Are you going to attack me, or my arguments?

I am not a troll, and stop resorting to ad hominems, it just shows how weak your position is
Reply 87
Original post by paul514
I'm sure they would say the same about left media too like huff post

Posted from TSR Mobile

It has nothing to do with left wing/ right wing. Dailymail are very bad at reporting facts, so I can't even have an opinion on this incident because I cant even be sure on whats true and whats misreporting
Original post by HucktheForde
In this thread we are talking about British values. All of a sudden someone pops up with 'European values'.

Further proves the point of OP. Values do not belong to a specific ethnic group or nation. It is also not static and ever changing. If we want to promote certain values, it must be able to be related to the target audience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rubbish, equality of women is uniquely a European value
Original post by Multiculturalism
Oh please

Lets look at the Roman Empire - a European country - which practiced slavery and infanticide

A much worse place than modern South Africa - a non-white country - which is a very tolerant and multicultural society

The Roman Empire was 2000 years ago idiot
The Roman Empire was 2000 years ago idiot

Israel then
Original post by Multiculturalism
Israel then

Your scraping the bottom of the barrel. Palestine rejected a two state solution before Israel was created and what does this have to do with European values. Go away idiot
So they want schools to boycott the fabulous Gemma Chan, Idris Elba, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Chipo Chung, Tom Hiddleston, The Queen, The Royal Family and many more because they are part of British culture?

The problem with not promoting British values is when I stop promoting British values, foreign people are going to asking me what is so great about Great Britain?

If they want children of non-british parents to feel proud of their heritage, then they must put the in the extra work. They have to remember people from Pakistan didn't come to Britain to learn about Nigerian culture, lol.
Rubbish, equality of women is uniquely a European value

Ohhhhh...So its impossible for other countries to have equality of women. Makes perfect sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Ohhhhh...So its impossible for other countries to have equality of women. Makes perfect sense

Posted from TSR Mobile

The fact is that equality for women does not exist outside of Europe or the west, it is purely a value of white folk end of story
(edited 8 years ago)
The fact is that equality for women does not exist outside of Europe or the west, it is purely a value of white folk end of story

Yea its impossible for others to embrace equality value. Makes perfect sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Although this debate makes the sparks fly, the fact is there is no real difference between what the teachers want to teach and describe as "human values" and what they currently have to teach and the government describes as "British values". Both are the values of the trans-Atlantic political left. The teachers object to calling them British values, not to the values themselves.
Yea its impossible for others to embrace equality value. Makes perfect sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did not say it was impossible for others to embrace gender equality, the fact is that it only exists in Europe. Do not blatantly put words in my mouth and read before you spout your mouth off
I did not say it was impossible for others to embrace gender equality, the fact is that it only exists in Europe. Do not blatantly put words in my mouth and read before you spout your mouth off

Right then you are saying something completely irrelevant to this thread. And even when trying to derail the thread you don't even get it right. Its not unique or only exists in the west. It only is if you don't travel much. Im saying this to someone who posted

Feminism is fascism

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Serine Soul
Tbh seeing 'British Values' posters plastered over walls in schools I've visited and my college really makes me cringe.

Why can't there be normal teachings of just respecting each other?

There's absolutely nothing right about respecting inferior cultures, thoughts, peoples and customs. This whole viewpoint that all cultures and belief systems are of equal worth and deserving of equal levels of respect is nauseating at best, cancerous at worst. Closer to cancerous though.

I have a lot of hope for the future of this country, but increasing prevalence of the types of views of people like Mr Denton are central to why this country is at risk of going down the toilet quickly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending