The Student Room Group

Physics A level without Maths?

Hi there,
I want to do Biology, chemistry, geography and physics at A level but people are saying how I'm going to struggle with physics :/ I'm currently in year 11, I'm good at maths but find it so boring, and I don't want to do a subject at a level that will just kill me. On the other hand i find physics really enjoyable! Has anyone done physics without/ with maths? How did you find it? I'm planning to take it to AS and then drop it.

Scroll to see replies

If you find maths boring, then you probably won't like Physics.

Not to say that a Physics A-level = Maths...But a lot of the Physics A-level does use Maths so...
Reply 2
The maths in as physics is at the standard of gcse maths the hardest maths in as physics for most is the vectors as this includes trigonometry, the maths is also mainly using equations, rearranging them then using them, also if the course you would do for physics has a materials unit then there is some shape areas required. Then also doing gradients.
Reply 3
Original post by High Stakes

Not to say that a Physics A-level = Maths...But a lot of the Physics A-level does use Maths so...

I can deal with applied maths, i actually find it enjoyable, but full on maths O.o
A level physics doesn't really require A level maths aside from a few small topics

I do think AL Maths gives you more options but that's a separate issue
Reply 5
Original post by cleggj88
The maths in as physics is at the standard of gcse maths the hardest maths in as physics for most is the vectors as this includes trigonometry, the maths is also mainly using equations, rearranging them then using them, also if the course you would do for physics has a materials unit then there is some shape areas required. Then also doing gradients.

Thank you! Gives me confidence 😊

yup

Original post by slothlife
Hi there,
I want to do Biology, chemistry, geography and physics at A level but people are saying how I'm going to struggle with physics :/ I'm currently in year 11, I'm good at maths but find it so boring, and I don't want to do a subject at a level that will just kill me. On the other hand i find physics really enjoyable! Has anyone done physics without/ with maths? How did you find it? I'm planning to take it to AS and then drop it.

about 90% of the AS physics paper 2 is just calculations
about 20% of AS physics paper 1 is just calculations so yes maths is involved but really it's just formulas and stuff.

but for the mechanics part of physics that's where the overlap of maths and physics mechanics comes in
Reply 7
Original post by thefatone
yup

about 90% of the AS physics paper 2 is just calculations
about 20% of AS physics paper 1 is just calculations so yes maths is involved but really it's just formulas and stuff.

but for the mechanics part of physics that's where the overlap of maths and physics mechanics comes in

If i do some of my own revison for mechanics etc, do you think its possible to get a good grade?
If i do some of my own revison for mechanics etc, do you think its possible to get a good grade?

certainly, i'm dying from physics right now, since it's my weakest subject but imma work hard at it
Reply 9
Original post by thefatone
certainly, i'm dying from physics right now, since it's my weakest subject but imma work hard at it

Thank you! Good luck btw 😊
Hi there,
I want to do Biology, chemistry, geography and physics at A level but people are saying how I'm going to struggle with physics

I don't see the point. Physics isn't just a subject you take as a 4th option to fill up your choices and drop it later on. It's one of the most difficult a levels. I don't see a point of taking it if you don't like maths anyway. 40 people took it for our year. Not a single one of the 11 people who took it without taking maths got above a C in their AS results for physics.

And they've all dropped it now. For year 13, my physics class and maths class have exactly the same people.

It's unit 2 maths that people struggle with. The unit 1 maths is easier. But ironically that's the one i messed up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
The maths in A-Level Physics is kept to the minimum so people that do not take maths can take Physics. I suggest you take it in AS, and if you like it and you do good at it then continue with it in A2. I also found maths boring at GCSE, I don't think anyone finds calculating percentages and gradients interesting tbh. However at AS I really liked it, and now at A2 I like it even more. A-Level maths is nothing like GCSE, so if you are good at maths I suggest you give it a go because you could find it really interesting and if you are naturally good at maths then getting an A is easy.
Reply 12
Hi there,

A level Physics is often ridiculed for the frugal maths it contains, so you're good without maths. You might need to learn about logarithms and exponentials for certain topics, but I'm sure your teacher will run you through them. As long as you can do the very basic operations, you'll be fine.
Reply 13
Original post by Lawliettt
I don't see the point. Physics isn't just a subject you take as a 4th option to fill up your choices and drop it later on.

I only want to take it to AS because I've heard that its nearly impossible at A2 if you don't have maths. I know its a hard subject but I really enjoy it, therefore wanted to take it at A level:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by PLM98
The maths in A-Level Physics is kept to the minimum so people that do not take maths can take Physics. I suggest you take it in AS, and if you like it and you do good at it then continue with it in A2. I also found maths boring at GCSE, I don't think anyone finds calculating percentages and gradients interesting tbh. However at AS I really liked it, and now at A2 I like it even more. A-Level maths is nothing like GCSE, so if you are good at maths I suggest you give it a go because you could find it really interesting and if you are naturally good at maths then getting an A is easy.

Really helpful, thank you!
Reply 15

I would tend to agree.
Reply 16
I only want to take it to AS because I've heard that its nearly impossible at A2 if you don't have maths. I know its a hard subject but I really enjoy it, therefore wanted to take it at A level:smile:

That is totally false. The only stuff that you will see in A2 Physics that you haven't seen in GCSE Maths is exponentials and logarithms. My teacher literally explained what they were and their properties in 5 minutes, and all the non-maths students understood it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by PLM98
That is totally false. The only stuff that you will see at A2 that you haven't seen in GCSE Maths is exponentials and logarithms. My teacher literally explained what they were and their properties in 5 minutes, and all the non-maths students understood it.

If I do well in AS definitely will consider A2, thank you, really encouraging!
A level maths is definitely not necessary for A level physics, the hardest the maths gets is exponential decay for things like nuclear physics and capacitors, the rest it just GCSE level maths.
Reply 19
If I do well in AS definitely will consider A2, thank you, really encouraging!

Welcome! :smile: If you ever have any questions feel free to PM me!!

Quick Reply