The Student Room Group

Saying "I love you"

Does anyone else find it impossible to say "I love you" to anybody, even your own family? I cannot say it for some reason. I do love them and they know I do but I just cannot say it.

Scroll to see replies

There's probably a psychological reason behind it. Any idea what that might be? It's possible that getting to the root of it will help you to overcome this.
I cringe yes
Reply 3
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
Does anyone else find it impossible to say "I love you" to anybody, even your own family? I cannot say it for some reason. I do love them and they know I do but I just cannot say it.

I think it depends on the person and feelings associated with these words.

I've only said it few times when I was in relationship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I never say it to my family... I'm cringing at the thought of it. :redface: My family isn't a very affectionate one, so we never really hug or say I love you etc. I think this is the reason why I'm like that, so perhaps it's the same for you?
I say it to family if I plan on going away for long periods of time.

Used to say it pretty easily when I was in a relationship. But it's not something I'd throw around so easily these days.
Reply 6
Original post by drowzee
I never say it to my family... I'm cringing at the thought of it. :redface: My family isn't a very affectionate one, so we never really hug or say I love you etc. I think this is the reason why I'm like that, so perhaps it's the same for you?

def the reason for me
idk, i find it quite easy to say :/
I've literally only said it to friends when drunk and even then it was probably 'i love ya' and not 'you'
maybe twice on the phone to my Dad
I can't deal
I say it to my family, gf, and certain close friends.
My family are like the most affectionate people ever, they say it to me all the time so I have to say it back but I always struggle and cringe inside... some people just don't like saying it unless they want it to mean something instead of being flippant. Some people just don't like to say it at all. It's just a phrase, you can show you love someone however you want to.
Reply 11
Said it once, I cringe when I do it. UGH
too much effor
I find it hard to say it to my family too
Original post by EdwardBarfield9

like drowzee suggested maybe it's too cringy? or maybe you associate too much meaning within the term so you'd only use it on very special occasions?
Original post by drowzee
Cannot say it to anyone...I know people who say 'I love you' to their parents when leaving the house or going to bed...not that I don't love my parents but.. :erm:
No point saying I love you to my family becaus they know I do and vice versa. Love Doritos tho !
Reply 17
Original post by cupcakes87
idk, i find it quite easy to say :/

And will that be coming handy some time soon? :beard:
:wink:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Original post by nucdev
And will that be coming handy some time soon? :beard:
:wink:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

already has :u: :colondollar:
Reply 19