The Student Room Group

How come this girl took height to be such a big issue?

This happened quite a few months back. We live in different cities so we didn't get to meet up in the end. A girl that I met online was talking to me for quite a few months. She first started conversation and initiated contact every time, sometimes multiple times in one day. I thought she was alright(a bit needy), but I wasn't interested in anything relationship wise as I am already interested in someone else.

It was only a few months in and then she randomly asked me what height I am(I'm quite a short guy). She didn't tell me hers, but after that day, she stopped initiating contact with me. In a way, she was messaging too much so I felt it was kind of a good thing, but also it was quite disappointing as we were supposed to meet up and I could see her as a good friend.

Scroll to see replies

She's shallow, you're better off with out her if that's the case tbh
Original post by Blondie987
She's shallow, you're better off with out her if that's the case tbh

PRSOM :biggrin:
OP I agree with blondie, you're better off without her :smile:
That's really weird. I haven't heard of height problems before.
If she's interested in your looks and figure only then you're probably better off without her. I'd stick with the other girl you're interested in.
Hope it goes well for ya!
Reply 4
My new concern is that the girl I am interested in might also take it to be a major issue too. Like I said I'm quite short, which has not really been much of an issue to me, but if she says no to me, she doesn't have to give a reason so I'd never know.
Original post by Anonymous
My new concern is that the girl I am interested in might also take it to be a major issue too. Like I said I'm quite short, which has not really been much of an issue to me, but if she says no to me, she doesn't have to give a reason so I'd never know.

The vast majority of people don't care about height. If someone rejects you because of height then they're shallow and you deserve better. In fact, if this girl does reject you then just leave it and find someone who likes you back. Plenty more fish in the sea!
Original post by georgiaswift
The vast majority of people don't care about height. If someone rejects you because of height then they're shallow and you deserve better. In fact, if this girl does reject you then just leave it and find someone who likes you back. Plenty more fish in the sea!

Well I would say a high proportion of women do care about height, don't they?

There are those who are fine with their spouse being taller than them, and there are those who like their spouse tall in general, as compared to other men, but I would say only a small number are confident enough with a spouse who just matches their height or is below their height.

A lot of studies conducted indicate that height is one of the top three priorities for women, next to income and/or socio-economic status.
Reply 7
Original post by William Pitt
Well I would say a high proportion of women do care about height, don't they?

There are those who are fine with their spouse being taller than them, and there are those who like their spouse tall in general, as compared to other men, but I would say only a small number are confident enough with a spouse who just matches their height or is below their height.

A lot of studies conducted indicate that height is one of the top three priorities for women, next to income and/or socio-economic status.

I did not want a relationship or anything like that though.

But now that you are mentioning this, I just hope that the girl I am going to ask doesn't see it as an issue. I mean I don't see why she would tbh.
This happened quite a few months back. We live in different cities so we didn't get to meet up in the end. A girl that I met online was talking to me for quite a few months. She first started conversation and initiated contact every time, sometimes multiple times in one day. I thought she was alright(a bit needy), but I wasn't interested in anything relationship wise as I am already interested in someone else.

It was only a few months in and then she randomly asked me what height I am(I'm quite a short guy). She didn't tell me hers, but after that day, she stopped initiating contact with me. In a way, she was messaging too much so I felt it was kind of a good thing, but also it was quite disappointing as we were supposed to meet up and I could see her as a good friend.

Well tbh, the vast majority of girls care a lot about height (obviously you'd need to be taller than the girl).

I wouldn't call it "shallow" though, as others have done. If they aren't attracted to short guys, they can't exactly help it. You can't control who you are attracted to.

Lol that is obviously not true at all. :p:

You seriously think the vast majority of girls would be happy to date a guy shorter than them? Of course they wouldn't.
Well tbh, the vast majority of girls care a lot about height (obviously you'd need to be taller than the girl).

I wouldn't call it "shallow" though, as others have done. If they aren't attracted to short guys, they can't exactly help it. You can't control who you are attracted to.

Actually, I wasn't attracted to her. I still wanted to continue talking though. In fact most of the girls I speak to as friends I'm not attracted to.
Actually, I wasn't attracted to her. I still wanted to continue talking though. In fact most of the girls I speak to as friends I'm not attracted to.

Well maybe she was interested in you as a potential partner, but then lost interest when she knew your height? I mean, I don't think you need to read too much into this - it is common knowledge that height is important for women.

I can't imagine she would refuse to be friends with someone due to their height, but height in men is obviously very important to women from a physical attraction point-of-view.

I understand that you say you wanted to continue talking as friends, but maybe she just wasn't interested in a platonic friendship anyway? :smile:
Well maybe she was interested in you as a potential partner, but then lost interest when she knew your height? I mean, I don't think you need to read too much into this - it is common knowledge that height is important for women.

I can't imagine she would refuse to be friends with someone due to their height, but height in men is obviously very important to women from a physical attraction point-of-view.

I understand that you say you wanted to continue talking as friends, but maybe she just wasn't interested in a platonic friendship anyway? :smile:

Yes maybe. Anyway it isn't much of a big deal to me. However now this is mentioned, my concerns have been raised over this girl that I have not asked yet and do not have much time to ask from now(We're finishing university).
Original post by William Pitt
A lot of studies conducted indicate that height is one of the top three priorities for women, next to income and socio-economic status.

If there are a lot of studies proving this, then please find 5 studies proving that height, income, and socio-economic status are the top three priorities for women when choosing a mate, which have been published in scientific or academic journals. You're the one claiming that there is a connection, so the burden of proof falls on you.
In my experience as a short guy, I would say the majority of women definitely do care about height.

If there are a lot of studies proving this, then please find 5 studies proving that height, income, and socio-economic status are the top three priorities for women when choosing a mate, which have been published in scientific or academic journals. You're the one claiming that there is a connection, so the burden of proof falls on you.

I think that's a fair thing to ask. In the psychology of attraction there are many studies which advocate to support the claim that wealth, height and figure are factors women look for in men. I don't have time to find these studies as they're on my old laptop and I have work to do, but looking in that general area would probably be fruitful for anyone who wishes to look.

I think many guys are in agreement, on the other hand, that height is something women appear to care about.
Reply 15

lol wut?

Actually the vast majority of women do very much care about height. Most women will not date you if you are not taller than them, and typically at least a certain height.

OP watch out for some of the advice you get on here.
Original post by Utopi.a
lol wut?

Actually the vast majority of women do very much care about height. Most women will not date you if you are not taller than them, and typically at least a certain height.

OP watch out for some of the advice you get on here.

So you're saying it's bad advice to date someone who likes you as you are? What I said is that if she won't date you because you're short, then she isn't worth your time anyway. What about that is incorrect?
let's be honest, most women care about height.
How tall actually are you. She was obviously interested in something romantic and then it kind of killed it for her that you are not tall you can't call her 'shallow' everyone has physical things they like attraction isn't something we can control.

To be completely honest with you, for some girls height IS important. For different reasons. Some are shallow and vain, others just don't want to feel 'bigger' than their boyfriend. I myself feel uncomfortable with the thought of being taller than my boyfriend, makes me feel less feminine. Other girls don't regard femininity in the same way. Personal choice, really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending