The Student Room Group

Physics A level without Maths?

Scroll to see replies

It's not like there's new maths concepts introduced for physics (in AS that is). You're still following equations and using logic at that point. There's no integration or any of that stuff. I think the issue is that the students who take physics without taking maths tend to be bad at maths in the first place.

Basically, it's not the fact that they don't do maths a level that makes them struggle. It's that a lot aren't good at maths anyway. Otherwise they'd probably have taken it. The maths content itself isn't as ridiculous as M3 for example.

It's just harder to wrap your head around all those equations if you're not a maths loving student. We didn't even do M1. So there was nothing from my maths AS that directly overlapped with physics AS. Yet i still found that maths in physics much easier than the non maths kids did
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Lawliettt
It's not like there's new maths concepts introduced for physics (in AS that is). You're still following equations and using logic at that point. There's no integration or any of that stuff. I think the issue is that the students who take physics without taking maths tend to be bad at maths in the first place.

Basically, it's not the fact that they don't do maths a level that makes them struggle. It's that a lot aren't good at maths anyway. Otherwise they'd probably have taken it. The maths content itself isn't as ridiculous as M3 for example.

It's just harder to wrap your head around all those equations if you're not a maths loving student. We didn't even do M1. So there was nothing from my maths AS that directly overlapped with physics AS. Yet i still found that maths in physics much easier than the non maths kids did

Thank you for your response! Very helpful :smile:
I do physics A level without maths and it's fine, might be a bit like 'woah' at the beginning but once you get used to it and a bit of practise it's honestly fine.

The examiners don't expect all the people that do Physics to do maths, so you wouldn't find questions asking you to use integration in a Physics paper.
Reply 23
A2 is similar to AS.
A guy in my college does this, but he did maths at AS, dropped it at A2. I think he would've found it really difficult if he hadn't done maths at AS, as there are a lot of concepts that overlap. For instance, simultaneous equations to a higher than GCSE level,
certain kinds of graphs (that you have to understand and know how to draw), trigonometry, and most importantly the sheer amount of equations you need to know in physics! You get a formula sheet full of equations! You have to know how to apply them, and how to rearrange them, which maths helps with. Physics is definitely so much easier with maths.

I don't think you need to do it to A2, but you need at least a baseline knowledge.
Original post by slothlife
Hi there,
I want to do Biology, chemistry, geography and physics at A level but people are saying how I'm going to struggle with physics :/ I'm currently in year 11, I'm good at maths but find it so boring, and I don't want to do a subject at a level that will just kill me. On the other hand i find physics really enjoyable! Has anyone done physics without/ with maths? How did you find it? I'm planning to take it to AS and then drop it.

I'm an A2-level physics student who got a U in a Further Maths GCSE and despised maths throughout GCSE. I took Physics without maths and I am currently predicted an A and my teacher, I'm one of the top students in the year group and could get an A* if I do enough revision and the exams are decent. You really do not need to do A-level maths. The only downside is it makes it hard to get onto a science degree if you wish to after 6th form.
Reply 26
Original post by JimJam456
I'm an A2-level physics student who got a U in a Further Maths GCSE and despised maths throughout GCSE. I took Physics without maths and I am currently predicted an A and my teacher, I'm one of the top students in the year group and could get an A* if I do enough revision and the exams are decent. You really do not need to do A-level maths. The only downside is it makes it hard to get onto a science degree if you wish to after 6th form.

Good luck in your exams! Thanks for the advice:smile:
Reply 27
I would say you can do A-level physics without doing maths. Personally, I scored really low on Maths and had an A grade during As last year. That just proves that the amount of practice and time you put into the subject matters. Although Maths would help, I think it is not impossible to do quite well in Physics, given that you are actually interested in learning the theory and working for the grades.
Reply 28
Original post by YeSand
I would say you can do A-level physics without doing maths. Personally, I scored really low on Maths and had an A grade during As last year. That just proves that the amount of practice and time you put into the subject matters. Although Maths would help, I think it is not impossible to do quite well in Physics, given that you are actually interested in learning the theory and working for the grades.

Thank you for the advice!:smile:
Reply 29
Original post by slothlife
Hi there,
I want to do Biology, chemistry, geography and physics at A level but people are saying how I'm going to struggle with physics :/ I'm currently in year 11, I'm good at maths but find it so boring, and I don't want to do a subject at a level that will just kill me. On the other hand i find physics really enjoyable! Has anyone done physics without/ with maths? How did you find it? I'm planning to take it to AS and then drop it.

You don't need maths to do physics. The only bit you do need for A2 physics is in the AS mathematics, which is logarithms and the exponential function.
Reply 30
Original post by Save.Me
A guy in my college does this, but he did maths at AS, dropped it at A2. I think he would've found it really difficult if he hadn't done maths at AS, as there are a lot of concepts that overlap. For instance, simultaneous equations to a higher than GCSE level,
certain kinds of graphs (that you have to understand and know how to draw), trigonometry, and most importantly the sheer amount of equations you need to know in physics! You get a formula sheet full of equations! You have to know how to apply them, and how to rearrange them, which maths helps with. Physics is definitely so much easier with maths.

I don't think you need to do it to A2, but you need at least a baseline knowledge.

Rearranging is just doing the same to both sides

eg

f = c/lambda. if we multiply both sides by lambda we get: c*lambda/lambda = f*lambda.

lambda/lambda = 1

therefore, c = f*lambda
Reply 31
I think that A level physics should be designed in such a way that you need to take A level maths in order to do it.
Physics A level should be trying to prepare people to do a physics degree, but if you don't need A level maths to do A level physics, how can it prepare you for a physics degree?
Reply 32
Original post by B_9710
I think that A level physics should be designed in such a way that you need to take A level maths in order to do it.
Physics A level should be trying to prepare people to do a physics degree, but if you don't need A level maths to do A level physics, how can it prepare you for a physics degree?

im doing a physics degree in September without a-level maths. I already know quite a lot about the degree, and what is involved. you don't need maths to do physics: Einstein was rubbish at maths!
Reply 33
Original post by Kyx
im doing a physics degree in September without a-level maths. I already know quite a lot about the degree, and what is involved. you don't need maths to do physics: Einstein was rubbish at maths!

Einstein wasn't rubbish at maths. How could someone who is rubbish at maths come up with general relativity. In fact you will find he was very good at maths.
Reply 34
Original post by B_9710
Einstein wasn't rubbish at maths. How could someone who is rubbish at maths come up with general relativity. In fact you will find he was very good at maths.

He struggled a lot
Original post by Kyx

What university is this?
Reply 36
DMU and Swansea
Reply 37
Original post by Kyx
He struggled a lot

I don't think this is true.
Reply 38
Original post by B_9710
I don't think this is true.

Said so in the BBC documentary :tongue:
Original post by Kyx
He struggled a lot

Nope, that's a myth. Quote: " I never failed in mathematics… Before I was fifteen I had mastered differential and integral calculus".

Quick Reply

Latest