The Student Room Group

Your views on feminism?

Scroll to see replies

That wrong impression of feminism is there to get? Like a previous person said, the only feminists who we hear about are the "radical" ones, and they don't even think that they are radical! For example, there's a perfectly average feminist group in london which completely excludes men from their meetings. That's direct discrimination, that's discriminating against a whole group because of something they can't change. This group, however, would not identify as radical. I think they are.
Original post by Vennec
I'm just gonna leave this here. Please skip ahead to 10:37.

[video="youtube;860FnDGISNg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=860FnDGISNg[/video]

This is completely irrelevant
Original post by joecphillips
Or maybe it is things like kill all men and I bathe in make tears that are the problem?

See my original post
If you believe a man should have equality in family courts and criminal courts, that more should be done to combat male suicide rates and that more should be done to help male victims of domestic violence congratulations you are a Mra

They have common belief systems. I would be more than happy to argue for men's rights, anybody's rights. Another main issue I would say for men is the false rape accusation scenario. Just because you believe in one thing does not mean you can not believe in another. Feminism and men's rights are not entirely separate issues, they are both progressive and both welcome for me.
Reply 84
Original post by Paige_Oddy
They have common belief systems. I would be more than happy to argue for men's rights, anybody's rights. Another main issue I would say for men is the false rape accusation scenario. Just because you believe in one thing does not mean you can not believe in another. Feminism and men's rights are not entirely separate issues, they are both progressive and both welcome for me.

Good but there are members of feminism who don't think the same and the their not real feminists argument is incorrect it is like arguing that the kkk aren't Christian, Isis aren't Muslims and that football hooligans have nothing to do with football.

And your you think this therefore you are this it is like saying you believe in a god so you must be Christian to a Muslim.
Feminism, these days, does nothing more than make it's adherents feel better. Since there are no more laws to change to make the sexes equal, it is now just about trying to tell people how to think and feel.
Original post by Paige_Oddy
Yes, feminism has its members who will take it to the extreme, as every movement does. Feminism is extremely important and anyone who doesn't think so is either too stupid to realise it or is so wrapped up in the misogynistic culture that they are unable to see there is an issue. The reason why people are against feminism is because they do not understand it. I have already seen responses of the 'women just want to rule men' nature and they are ill-informed, childish ideas. Yes, there are women out there who want to rule men, but these people represent the extremes of society and not the general population. (Do the KKK represent all Christians, no. Do ISIS represent all Muslims, no. Does a group of football hooligans represent football fans across the world, no.) Please apply this logic here.
True feminism is about equality for everyone, for men and women everywhere.

I would also like to quickly address the issue of the biological differences. Yes, we are biologically different which lends itself to different skill sets. Despite this, there is such a thing as masculine and feminine. Let's take a stereotypically 'male' job, a builder. If i was having someone build my house i would want somebody with a set of characteristics that would allow them to do a great job. If there is a biological female who is strong and knows about that trade then why does society have such a problem with it? Also if there was a male who was caring and great with kids, why would you not want him to be a nursery nurse? If you don't have a problem, you are a feminist.

>everyone who disagrees with me is either an idiot or an ignorant misogynist.

You sound reasonable.
Original post by Rhythmical
Reason why I'm asking this is because even though I'm a woman, I don't agree with feminism. I believe it's getting quite radical as some women will make themselves superior to men. I'm not a feminist because men and women aren't equal, we are designed for different things so I get so angry when they should be 'equal' because we're different and that's all that matters. I think feminism is mainly women wanted to be seen as 'not inferior to men' and closing down the gender gap. Of course they should be treated equally but it's the differences that make up the world.

Modern feminism should focus on the disgusting way people of my gender treat women in 3rd world countries like Saudi Arabia and many African countries where FGM, sex slavery and forced underage marriages are unfortunately considered the social norm.

Instead, feminism focuses on more arbitrary things like "manspreading" and video games or making up stuff like 'rape culture'.
I am a feminist until my country finally decides to pass the gender equality bill
Good but there are members of feminism who don't think the same and the their not real feminists argument is incorrect it is like arguing that the kkk aren't Christian, Isis aren't Muslims and that football hooligans have nothing to do with football.

And your you think this therefore you are this it is like saying you believe in a god so you must be Christian to a Muslim.

The extremists on the men's side, the MRA, with their worship of pro- rape pick up artists (Roosh), are far worse.
Reply 90
Original post by Bornblue
The extremists on the men's side, the MRA, with their worship of pro- rape pick up artists (Roosh), are far worse.

I think a side who welcome and call for genocide are slightly worse.

And a difference between the 2 sides is that the MRA extremists are ostracised and shot down that doesn't happen to the extremist feminists who call to kill all white men, just imagine if that was some other group there would be outrage and probably arrests.

Neither is right but I put genocide is a lot worse
(edited 7 years ago)
I think a side who welcome and call for genocide are slightly worse.

And a difference between the 2 sides is that the MRA extremists are ostracised and shot down that doesn't happen to the extremist feminists who call to kill all white men, just imagine if that was some other group there would be outrage and probably arrests.

Neither is right but I put genocide is a lot worse

So feminists call for genocide? Oh do me a favour. Stop this pathetic victim mentality.

Stop this weird obsession you have. You're far more obsessed with feminism than the huge majority of feminists are themselves.
Reply 92
So feminists call for genocide? Oh do me a favour. Stop this pathetic victim mentality.

Stop this weird obsession you have. You're far more obsessed with feminism than the huge majority of feminists are themselves.

Go look at the hashtag kill all white men what is that?

I comment on other issues as well I just tend to also get quoted a lot more on these issues.
(edited 7 years ago)
Go look at the hashtag kill all white men what is that?

That was one idiot who was widely condemned and arrested
The MRA lot support pro-rape activists. In fact they pay money to see Roosh, a man who boasts about having sex with girls who were alseep and weren't consenting.

Extremists on both sides are awful. Stop focusing on isolated incidents. Women can campaign for their rights, men can campaign for theirs.

Now stop this strange, disturbing obsession you have with feminism. You're more obsessed with feminism then any feminist i've met.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 94
That was one idiot who was widely condemned.
The MRA lot support pro-rape activists.

Extremists on both sides are awful. Stop focusing on isolated incidents. Women can campaign for their rights, men can campaign for theirs.

Now stop this strange, disturbing obsession you have with feminism. You're more obsessed with feminism then any feminist i've met.

I will talk about what I like.

I never said they can't I have stated my criticism of feminism saying that there is no big conspiracy called patriarchy that they say exists.

Some MRA's support pro- rape activists
Some feminists support silencing other people's opinions.

you just have to look at Jess Phillips if you want to see the reaction when it was suggested that parliament discuss men's issues on international men's day, she laughed that should be unacceptable but she faced nothing the media ignored it her missandry was accepted imagine if that was the other way around.

What was the defence against the kill all men tweet it was I am a woman and a minority and she had the charges dropped because of that defence

The guardian and others are defending her so she is not that widely condemned.
(edited 7 years ago)
I will talk about what I like.

I never said they can't I have stated my criticism of feminism saying that there is no big conspiracy called patriarchy that they say exists.

Some MRA's support pro- rape activists
Some feminists support silencing other people's opinions.

you just have to look at Jess Phillips if you want to see the reaction when it was suggested that parliament discuss men's issues on international men's day, she laughed that should be unacceptable but she faced nothing the media ignored it her missandry was accepted imagine if that was the other way around.

What was the defence against the kill all men tweet it was I am a woman and a minority and she had the charges dropped because of that defence

The guardian and others are defending her so she is not that widely condemned.

Then you misunderstand Jess Phillips position. Phillip Davis the Tory mp wasn't advocating a men's rights day because he cared about men, he just wanted to attack women. He cares so much about men that he voted against allowing gay men to marry. He cares so much about men he votes for brutal austerity cuts which impoverish large number of men. He cares so much about men he voted for an 8% cut to mental health spending despite mental health resulting in three times more suicides for young men than for young women.

It was fake, it wasn't out of any genuine concern for men's issues. That was her objection.

The defence was not 'she was a woman'. Show me where the CPS said that? She was widely condemned for being an idiot more than anything.

Feminism isn't just about a patriarchy, it's about women's issues. Especially helping out vulnerable women involved in prostitution, victims of domestic abuse, preventing fgm, working to reuse awareness on issues such as Breat Cancer.

Feminism has its faults but it generally and genuinely cares about women's issues. MRS don't care about mens issues, the just want to stop women campaigning on theirs and that's what you want to do.

You're obsessed, stop with your victim mentality. Stop with your strange obsession. If someone is as obsessed with you are with stopping people campaign on women's issues then I wonder what's wrong. Something is not right.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 96
Then you misunderstand Jess Phillips position. Phillip Davis the Tory mp wasn't advocating a men's rights day because he cared about men, he just wanted to attack women. He cares so much about men that he voted against allowing gay men to marry. He cares so much about men he votes for brutal austerity cuts which impoverish large number of men. He cares so much about men he voted for an 8% cut to mental gelato spending despite mental health resulting in three times more suicides for young men than for young women.

It was fake, it wasn't out of any genuine concern for men's issues.

The defence was not 'she was a woman'. Show me where the CPS said that? She was widely condemned for being an idiot more than anything.

Feminism isn't just about a patriarchy, it's about women's issues. Especially helping out vulnerable women involved in prostitution, victims of domestic abuse, preventing fgm, working to reuse awareness on issues such as Breat Cancer.

Feminism has its faults but it generally and genuinely cares about women's issues. MRS don't care about mens issues, the just want to stop women campaigning on theirs and that's what you want to do.

You're obsessed, stop with your victim mentality. Stop with your strange obsession. If someone is as obsessed with you are with stopping people campaign on women's issues then I wonder what's wrong. Something is not right.

Whatever reason he brought it up is irrelevant the reaction to it being brought up is disgraceful she laughed at the idea of discussing male suicide rates and domestic violence against men which is on the rise.

Dv isn't a gendered issue
There are male prostitues as well but even excluding those prostition isn't all bad like has been suggested instead of focusing on the occupation people should focus on the causes
Fgm is an issue I won't say anything bad about that.
I'm not going to say that funding breast cancer research is bad but I think there are areas where there is a bigger issue and money should be spent there, like lung 22% of deaths and only 4.5% spent on research compared to breast 7.8% of deaths and 18.8% of funding but it is a completely understandable position.

Have you talked to MRA's? There is a documentary coming out later this year by a feminist director who actually has talked to them and has stated her opinion on it has changed, I would urge you to watch it when it comes out.

I am not stopping them campaigning on any issue I am putting my side across which you are trying to stop, when ever I have mentioned any issues a man has I get called misogynist .

On the 'Feminist cultural hypocrisy' thread I made 2 posts one asking for information and then one about that information showing that men being victims of dv is on the rise and what do you post on there? You ignored the issue and attack me for expressing my opinion on it then you say I am trying to stop people talking on an issue.
Whatever reason he brought it up is irrelevant the reaction to it being brought up is disgraceful she laughed at the idea of discussing male suicide rates and domestic violence against men which is on the rise.

Dv isn't a gendered issue
There are male prostitues as well but even excluding those prostition isn't all bad like has been suggested instead of focusing on the occupation people should focus on the causes
Fgm is an issue I won't say anything bad about that.
I'm not going to say that funding breast cancer research is bad but I think there are areas where there is a bigger issue and money should be spent there, like lung 22% of deaths and only 4.5% spent on research compared to breast 7.8% of deaths and 18.8% of funding but it is a completely understandable position.

Have you talked to MRA's? There is a documentary coming out later this year by a feminist director who actually has talked to them and has stated her opinion on it has changed, I would urge you to watch it when it comes out.

I am not stopping them campaigning on any issue I am putting my side across which you are trying to stop, when ever I have mentioned any issues a man has I get called misogynist .

On the 'Feminist cultural hypocrisy' thread I made 2 posts one asking for information and then one about that information showing that men being victims of dv is on the rise and what do you post on there? You ignored the issue and attack me for expressing my opinion on it then you say I am trying to stop people talking on an issue.

She was laughing at the irony of a man who's done so much to harm vulnerable men calling for an international men's day.

It would be like the Catholic Church complaining about child abuse.

Women can campaign on their issues, men can campaign on theirs. The problem is that while women do campaign on issues that effect women like breast cancer, prostituion, dv, fgm, abortion etc, that MRA don't focus on mens issues, they just stop women campaigning on theirs.

Men should be campaigning on issues like make victims of dv, cancer which affects males, make poverty, make suicide, make homelessness but they don't.

Instead MRS reject any socio-economic analysis for men's issues and instead just blame women.

Let women campaign on their issues and let men campaign on theirs. It really is that simple.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 98
She was laughing at the irony of a man who's done so much to harm vulnerable men calling for an international men's day.

It would be like the Catholic Church complaining about child abuse.

Women can campaign on their issues, men can campaign on theirs. The problem is that while women do campaign on issues that effect women like breast cancer, prostituion, dv, fgm, abortion etc, that MRS don't focus on mens issues, they just stop women campaigning on theirs.

Let women campaign on their issues and let men campaign on theirs. It really is that simple.

You say that men don't do that and only try to shut women up again I ask you have you actually talked to any MRA's?

Have you looked at the positions in feminism I oppose? I don't say they shouldn't campaign but I tend to disagree with things when they tell me to shut up and I am privileged by being male, when they want to get rid of innocent until proven guilty and when they lie saying they don't get equal pay for equal work.

i have never stopped women campaigning on their issues I just put my points across something a lot of them don't do as the see saying men are disadvantaged in anyway as misogynist, you are the one trying to shut down the discussion.
You say that men don't do that and only try to shut women up again I ask you have you actually talked to any MRA's?

Have you looked at the positions in feminism I oppose? I don't say they shouldn't campaign but I tend to disagree with things when they tell me to shut up and I am privileged by being male, when they want to get rid of innocent until proven guilty and when they lie saying they don't get equal pay for equal work.

i have never stopped women campaigning on their issues I just put my points across something a lot of them don't do as the see saying men are disadvantaged in anyway as misogynist, you are the one trying to shut down the discussion.

Yes I have talked to MRAs.

You made out before that Feminsists support genocide because of a stupid,tongue in cheek comment of one idiot.

Quick Reply

Latest