The Student Room Group

Easter Revision Hours HELP?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by roarchika

Honestly, it can be worth it to do each past paper twice - questions tend to repeat themselves! (No, seriously. One of my history questions was essentially a rephrasing of a question from about 4 years ago that I'd practiced a week before the exam. I let out such a weird giggle upon seeing it that the invigilator came and stood by me for a full minute!)
Saying that, apart from history where I probably did ~3-4 past papers after my mock, I got by on 2 or 3 per subject. Once you have the exam technique down (mark schemes are your friend), you don't need to worry too much with them I think!

This changes at A Level though, at least for essay subjects: next year, the more past papers you can do the better!

I already have! Mainly for maths, biology & french I've done a lot of the papers multiple times - that's the extent of how much I'm running out of past papers to do :frown:
Hi. I've done some GCSEs already - history, mathematics, geography and a level 2 HPQ - so if you want any advice for those subjects, feel free to ask away. With regards to the others, I suppose that the most logical thing to do is to simply spend a lot of time reading, writing and practising. French is a pain, but if you're doing Edexcel French, then there are plenty of resources. English is even more of a pain - to me anyway - but if you make the character descriptions and theme analysis, with some practice, then all should be okay.
Original post by MBFP
Do you have any advice for ICT ? I suppose you did Edexcel? Especially the exam?

I did cambridge igcse.... never again! I found the practical super easy with practice and we didn't have a teacher for theory so I just read over some notes online and did every single past paper from 2004 onwards... when I got in there the paper was basically identical! and I got 95% overall!
Original post by AdHominem
Hi. I've done some GCSEs already - history, mathematics, geography and a level 2 HPQ - so if you want any advice for those subjects, feel free to ask away. With regards to the others, I suppose that the most logical thing to do is to simply spend a lot of time reading, writing and practising. French is a pain, but if you're doing Edexcel French, then there are plenty of resources. English is even more of a pain - to me anyway - but if you make the character descriptions and theme analysis, with some practice, then all should be okay.

I'm ok with maths but history is stressssing me!
Original post by evebennettx
I'm ok with maths but history is stressssing me!

Which exam board are you using for history? If you're doing any of these units then I can help to a better extent: crime and punishment, transformation of surgery, medicine through time or the American west.
I saw the poster of this and thought 'wait...' and it is actually you! Your videos are great keep it up :smile: If you need any maths help (I remember in a few videos you saying maths wasnt your favorite subject!!) just post on the Maths section, it's great & you get help instantly!

Anyway - I'm doing AS exams this year, Maths/Further Maths/Physics, and I'm attempting around 6/7 hours a day, with breaks in between. Good luck for your GCSE's :smile:
Which exam board are you using for history? If you're doing any of these units then I can help to a better extent: crime and punishment, transformation of surgery, medicine through time or the American west.

I do modern world aqa history B sadly! I love it, but there is far too much to learn for the exams.
I know GCSEs don't matter, but now my teachers, friends, family and I know what I am capable of I really do want to get the grades! I'm a natural stresser and it really helps me to talk about it all so thats why I am here!

welp if youre stressing over gcses youre gonna need a therapist for a levels, heaven knows i do *cries* the stress is real, i haven't actually found a way to deal with it yet apart from smothering my friends with tales of woe, but its so important people find ways to destress because its given me anxiety, and i have all the symptoms of a sociopath purely from stress- basically, i don't cope well :/
Reply 68
Original post by roarchika
Heya! I did English Lit GCSE last year, somehow managed to get 100% UMS in it overall. For the play (I did An Inspector Calls - I feel bad for you, having to do R+J/Shakespeare's least interesting play!), the important thing is definitely knowing key events and how they relate to the characters, especially if an event leads to character development or shows character development. The other important thing is themes. Theeeemes. Know all the themes and know at least 2 - 3 examples for each which you can discuss thoroughly. But also remember that with English Literature, because it's so open to interpretation, that as long as any claim you make is well-substantiated you're likely to get marks for it.
(Just make sure you know your themes/characters/obvious points!)
Honestly, it can be worth it to do each past paper twice - questions tend to repeat themselves! (No, seriously. One of my history questions was essentially a rephrasing of a question from about 4 years ago that I'd practiced a week before the exam. I let out such a weird giggle upon seeing it that the invigilator came and stood by me for a full minute!)
Saying that, apart from history where I probably did ~3-4 past papers after my mock, I got by on 2 or 3 per subject. Once you have the exam technique down (mark schemes are your friend), you don't need to worry too much with them I think!

This changes at A Level though, at least for essay subjects: next year, the more past papers you can do the better!

Omg thankyou so much! so how do i set out my revison- is mind maps the way to organise it, or do i use some other way- for every other subject, i make plain notes, but for english i want it a bit more organised so in the exam it's easier to structure, if i'm making any sense? So any tips on how to structure my notes? Thankyou for your help i'm insanely grateful! :smile:
Original post by iMacJack
I saw the poster of this and thought 'wait...' and it is actually you! Your videos are great keep it up :smile: If you need any maths help (I remember in a few videos you saying maths wasnt your favorite subject!!) just post on the Maths section, it's great & you get help instantly!

Anyway - I'm doing AS exams this year, Maths/Further Maths/Physics, and I'm attempting around 6/7 hours a day, with breaks in between. Good luck for your GCSE's :smile:

Wow what a combo! I really like physics, and maths is one of my strongest subjects but i cannot stand it! Especially further maths haha! I really wish I liked it :frown:
Original post by sophie-xx
For chem/phy/bio, I'd recommend Science with Hazel on youtube. She covers most topics and has a way of explaining things really concisely and clearly. She's definitely helped me out loads :smile:

I'll check her out! I recommend Primrose kitten!

oh my gosh hi five man for maths and physics! Im dying i don't know how you do those as well as further maths... you have my respect sir
Original post by Sophhascoconuts
oh my gosh hi five man for maths and physics! Im dying i don't know how you do those as well as further maths... you have my respect sir

Ahh well thank you, appreciated! Maths & Further Maths are my strongest & favorite subjects, so they go well together & don't actually seem that much work at all!

What are you planning on taking for A-levels?

Wow what a combo! I really like physics, and maths is one of my strongest subjects but i cannot stand it! Especially further maths haha! I really wish I liked it :frown:

Ahh!! Yeah Physics is great, I don't really enjoy it as much as I did at GCSE now though, it's the hardest of my subjects I do by a mile - it is such a jump from GCSE, moreso than Maths and Further Maths, in my opinion! Maths is great though, everyone has their own preferred subjects and I'd be lying if I said I didn't understand that, for example, my pet peeve at GCSE was definitely English Lit, although I still did well in it (A) it was still by far and away my least favorite subject...

Keep doing what you're doing :smile:
I do modern world aqa history B sadly! I love it, but there is far too much to learn for the exams.

I'm sorry then. I won't be of so much help with regards to history. However, geography was my best subject last year, so I might be able to help with that. Could you tell me which exam boards you're doing for other subjects?
I'm sorry then. I won't be of so much help with regards to history. However, geography was my best subject last year, so I might be able to help with that. Could you tell me which exam boards you're doing for other subjects?

I dont do geography but i do

AQA- Maths, Further Maths, Triple Science, German, Spanish, History and RS

OCR- English Language and Literature!
Original post by caitlinford3
I already have! Mainly for maths, biology & french I've done a lot of the papers multiple times - that's the extent of how much I'm running out of past papers to do :frown:

Yikes, that's impressive! I mean, I literally got my A* in maths from doing past papers or questions in class (I'm kinda deplorable at the sciences woops), so I get that, but... maybe move on to questions from your textbook that you haven't done in ages? Try and find more questions online, or from different exam boards? (At GCSE most of the subject content is the same) Sorry if you've already tried all of these!
Original post by nm1276
Omg thankyou so much! so how do i set out my revison- is mind maps the way to organise it, or do i use some other way- for every other subject, i make plain notes, but for english i want it a bit more organised so in the exam it's easier to structure, if i'm making any sense? So any tips on how to structure my notes? Thankyou for your help i'm insanely grateful! :smile:

It's no problem! And honestly, that's up to individual preference - I can't bear mind maps, but I know people who swear by them!
For me, I find SRS learning works best (spaced repetition; revising things I got wrong sooner than the things I got right) - so I used anki and had flashcards with questions such as "How does Shirley experience character development in AIC? Give 3 examples." or "Give 4 examples of prejudice in AIC." which worked well. Maybe it's because it forces you to consolidate your notes, which is helpful when you've a whole play to know for an exam!
Another huge help for me was taking an essay question (and there are 2 per past paper, remember!) and just doing the plan - outlining my paragraph title and then bullet pointing the general sub-points for that paragraph. That helped me a lot with my structure, actually, and meant that when I got to the exam I could get my plan down within the first 3 or so minutes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ahh well thank you, appreciated! Maths & Further Maths are my strongest & favorite subjects, so they go well together & don't actually seem that much work at all!

What are you planning on taking for A-levels?

I'm already taking them haha, I'm doing AS! Physics and Maths as you already know, along with History and English Literature (and general studies, since for some reason our business teacher Mr Pawar likes to think it will get us all into Oxford).
I dont do geography but i do

AQA- Maths, Further Maths, Triple Science, German, Spanish, History and RS

OCR- English Language and Literature!

Hmm. Okay. I do the same exam boards for further maths, triple science and RS. If you need any tips for those then that would be fine. However, if you have any advice for further maths, then that would be welcome. :smile:
Hmm. Okay. I do the same exam boards for further maths, triple science and RS. If you need any tips for those then that would be fine. However, if you have any advice for further maths, then that would be welcome. :smile:

Further maths is such a weird subject! I recommend this guy on youtube called RAWMATHS, he has the ultimate guide that covers the whole spec!
Further maths is such a weird subject! I recommend this guy on youtube called RAWMATHS, he has the ultimate guide that covers the whole spec!

It really is difficult! And thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest