The Student Room Group

Enough for Oxbridge Economics? *UPDATED*

Hello TSR! :biggrin:

*the thread before this was wrong - apologies but this is the correct thread now*

No idea if this is the correct forum but...

I'm still no where near finished with school - still in Year 11! But hey, I've always been ambitious and always looking forward to what the future holds for me.I'm in a dilemma - my Mother is a Doctor, and as a Doc she wants me to become one too. Now I don't mind this idea as I've always been fascinated by science anyways - so in no way am I being forced to do it.

But, I love business and financing. I don't want to sound full of myself, but I just love the idea of earning money in a way which you created (if that makes sense - getting paid from something you made). I'm only 16 right now, but i started my own company at the age of 14, you can choose to believe it or not, I would appreciated if you did - sounds unbelievable I know, but bear with me. Anyways yes, I started with nothing to my name, built my company ground up, hired my friends along the way (eventually firing them once it was running automatically). And I'm at a position now as to where I am earning £10,000 or there about a month. I've paid my way through a few years of private education - I do quite feel proud of what I've done.

But here's the problem. I really would like to study only at Oxford or Cambridge - just something I've always dreamt about. Yet I'm only predicted 8A* and 3As for GCSEs. And after extensive research I've came to a conclusion that they won't be enough (paired with a prediction of AAA at A-levels).

This has really been bumming me out lately.So I was wondering if they would consider my real world experience? I mean, I handle customers daily - manage the business with my school work. I just feel as if I've done so much, they must consider it right?

Any thoughts would be nice guys Please, I know I'm still young and I "shouldn't be worrying about it" but I need to create a future for myself - and there is nothing wrong with seeing into the future.
Please don't post if you're going to critique me or say I'm lying - because the fact of the matter is, is that I'm not.

Scroll to see replies

Yet I'm only predicted 8A* and 3As for GCSEs. And after extensive research I've came to a conclusion that they won't be enough (paired with a prediction of AAA at A-levels).

The GCSE predictions won't be a problem, not sure where you've got any idea otherwise from.

How do you know your A level predictions already?
Original post by Student403
Yet I'm only predicted 8A* and 3As for GCSEs. And after extensive research I've came to a conclusion that they won't be enough (paired with a prediction of AAA at A-levels).

The GCSE predictions won't be a problem, not sure where you've got any idea otherwise from.

How do you know your A level predictions already?

Oh those are just a personal prediction, knowing myself. Probably unrealistic, but I thought I would add that.

The only other problem is, is that I don't exactly have "work experience", not really sure if you need it for economics? I've been geared for medicine my whole life but I think I'm going to change, just want to get some basics :smile:
Original post by TheAppleGeek111
Oh those are just a personal prediction, knowing myself. Probably unrealistic, but I thought I would add that.

The only other problem is, is that I don't exactly have "work experience", not really sure if you need it for economics? I've been geared for medicine my whole life but I think I'm going to change, just want to get some basics :smile:

You don't want to count your own company as experience?
what you planning to do at a level?
You don't want to count your own company as experience?

Oh I do! But would they not want like human to human interaction haha? maybe visit big firms?
Original post by Youngmetro
what you planning to do at a level?

tough call, probably Maths, Further Maths, Economics, and not sure about the 4th
tough call, probably Maths, Further Maths, Economics, and not sure about the 4th

The options are fine, same ones im planning on doing. But you do need to chill, my school told us 7A*s are needed for oxbridge
Surely if your company is earning £10,000 a month (granted that's profit) then surely there is no point is pursing higher education and working on the business?
Reply 9
The options are fine, same ones im planning on doing. But you do need to chill, my school told us 7A*s are needed for oxbridge

False.

i agree. can't get myself to calm down haha - I've heard 7A* too but we'll be going head to head with students with upwards of 15A*s - thats why I was asking if they would consider me with what I've done
Original post by Richpeasant
Surely if your company is earning £10,000 a month (granted that's profit) then surely there is no point is pursing higher education and working on the business?

I've always been brought up with the saying Education is far more important than wealth :smile: plus - I enjoy learning

Lol schools fall victim to misconceptions like these
i agree. can't get myself to calm down haha - I've heard 7A* too but we'll be going head to head with students with upwards of 15A*s - thats why I was asking if they would consider me with what I've done

This is painful to read.

Your GCSEs are fine. Please don't stress over them. Just get your grades
Original post by jneill
False.

As a guidance, that is what is good. I go to a top grammar school that have close connections with the unis and said that 7A*s are good enough.
Your original post is really rambly and lacking in relevant information. What A levels are you planning to take? Are you taking Economics? Maths? Further Maths? Arts, sciences, social sciences?

If you want to maximise your chances of getting into Oxford or Cambridge, you're going to need a better reason for wanting to study there than "I've just always dreamt of it." Or rather, you need better reasons to explain why you don't want to study anywhere else. To be honest, your academic snobbery comes across as a little repulsive.

If you can manage 8A*s and 3As at GCSE, AAA at A Level should be well within your reach.

With the greatest of respect, however, I'd strongly recommend working on your written English before getting too far ahead of yourself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Richpeasant

Earning $30 million for Summly hasn't stopped Nick D'Aloisio from choosing to do CompSci & Philosophy at Oxford.
Lol schools fall victim to misconceptions like these

Idk, my school is pretty up there and have contacts with an admissions officer (one even came to our school). I think what they really meant was 7A*s wont put you in a disadvantage.
Original post by Greatleysteg
Your original post is really rambly and lacking in relevant information. What A levels are you planning to take? Are you taking Economics? Maths? Further Maths? Arts, sciences, social sciences?

If you want to maximise your chances of getting into Oxford or Cambridge, you're going to need a better reason for wanting to study there than "I've just always dreamt of it."

If you can manage 8A*s and 3As at GCSE, AAA at A Level should be well within your reach.

With the greatest of respect, however, I'd strongly recommend working on your written English before getting too far ahead of yourself.

I have responded within the replies people have left. I do apologise about my English - but there is nothing wrong with trying to plan your future out.
Original post by jneill
Earning $30 million for Summly hasn't stopped Nick D'Aloisio from choosing to do CompSci & Philosophy at Oxford.

I'm guessing he did that after his business became successful ?

Edit: Wasn't that the guy who sold it to yahoo?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending