The Student Room Group

Terrorist gets just 90 days in prison after posting pictures of a bomb online

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/trump-supporter-bomb-maker-sentenced-90-days-threats-kill-muslims-a6953896.html

Not focusing on how this person supports Donald Trump (what do you expect), but if this was a person planning to plant explosives for IS, or supporting them, they'd be given much longer sentences. For example, my friend showed me this news report a few days ago of a terrorist group that planned to bomb malls around the United Arab Emirates who were all given life sentences, despite not having executed the acts and having weaponry (just like this man).

All this man got was 90 days in prison and anger management classes. I'm not saying terrorists like the linked one should get lesser sentences, I'm saying there should be consistency worldwide in a time where terrorism is so prevalent.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Craig1998
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/trump-supporter-bomb-maker-sentenced-90-days-threats-kill-muslims-a6953896.html

Not focusing on how this person supports Donald Trump (what do you expect), but if this was a person planning to plant explosives for IS, or supporting them, they'd be given much longer sentences. For example, my friend showed me this news report a few days ago of a terrorist group that planned to bomb malls around the United Arab Emirates who were all given life sentences, despite not having executed the acts and having weaponry (just like this man).

All this man got was 90 days in prison and anger management classes. I'm not saying terrorists like the linked one should get lesser sentences, I'm saying there should be consistency worldwide in a time where terrorism is so prevalent.

Him supporting Trump has nothing to do with this fruitloop wanting to blow up Muslims...

The Independent is a ****ing joke, and, much like most of mainstream media, wants to find these kinds of stories to destroy Trump's campaign - which it won't.

This guy is clearly mentally ill. Do you really think Trump is endorsing such disgusting acts??
Hah! Doesn't surprise me, Trump supporters are vile racists

He should be locked up for life, and Trump prosecuted for hate speech, for encouraging these hate crimes
Reply 3
Original post by Dodgypirate
Him supporting Trump has nothing to do with this fruitloop wanting to blow up Muslims...

The Independent is a ****ing joke, and, much like most of mainstream media, wants to find these kinds of stories to destroy Trump's campaign - which it won't.

This guy is clearly mentally ill. Do you really think Trump is endorsing such disgusting acts??

Why I said I wanted to focus on the fact that this terrorist plotting to kill muslims and "kill you all" barely gets any sentence whereas other terrorists plotting to kill people in public places would get life sentences; rather than on the Trump bandwagon this subforum is full of these days.

The criminal justice system is in place to help offenders see why their crime is wrong and to prohibit them from committing other crimes. Giving someone 90 days after they've threatened to kill multiple people does not help this terrorist see why his actions are so wrong.

And if the Independent is no good how about the Huffington Post?
Original post by Multiculturalism

He should be locked up for life, and Trump prosecuted for hate speech, for encouraging these hate crimes

do you not believe in free speech? how tolerant of you
Reply 5
What a joke.

90 days in jail and anger management classes?

I wonder what he would've got if he was Muslim.

Double standards everywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by AlmightyJesus

Free speech is not always good.

Freedom of speech is one thing.

Actively encouraging your supporters to attack protestors is called inciting violence.
Reply 8
Original post by Multiculturalism

Quote me something racist that trump has said.
Reply 9
Original post by Frank Underwood

Actively encouraging your supporters to attack protestors is called inciting violence.

Where has he done this?

encouragement/incitement isn't necessarily an operating trigger of violence though, seeing as human beings have something called a free will. if I said to a person "go on, fight person x", I wouldn't be an agent of that violence, unless a) I was a relevant authority with a reputation of being truthful and providing evidence of my words (etc) and b) the person being encouraged was, known to be, delusional and highly suggestible to foreign influence. a good example of that, logically, would be, let's say, an imam from a "peaceful" community, and a fanatic who will do whatever their imam says (and the imam decides to take advantage of this and prescribe non-peaceful things).

encouragement is freedom of speech only until it becomes operational to the actual committing of the violence. you can't just say that just because you vocalised a preference for somebody to commit a crime that it made the crime happen - I could be saying "do it and I'll be your friend" but it would be laughable for a person of sound mind to consider that a serious trigger to something illegal.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Craig1998
Free speech is not always good.

freedom is another person's property. not yours. whether or not you take other people's different opinions to be good, their freedom is their own and not yours to dictate. only until their actions impact upon your own liberty or verifiable safety would mere words become something not protected by freedom of speech (in that it would violate another's freedom)
Original post by joecphillips
Where has he done this?

One of many things he has said includes: "If you see someone getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them, would you? Seriously? Just knock the hell- I promise I'll pay you the legal fees"
encouragement/incitement isn't necessarily an operating trigger of violence though, seeing as human beings have something called a free will. if I said to a person "go on, fight person x", I wouldn't be an agent of that violence, unless a) I was a relevant authority with a reputation of being truthful and providing evidence of my words (etc) and b) the person being encouraged was, known to be, delusional and highly suggestible to foreign influence. a good example of that, logically, would be, let's say, an imam from a "peaceful" community, and a fanatic who will do whatever their imam says (and the imam decides to take advantage of this and prescribe non-peaceful things).

encouragement is freedom of speech only until it becomes operational to the actual committing of the violence. you can't just say that just because you vocalised a preference for somebody to commit a crime that it made the crime happen - I could be saying "do it and I'll be your friend" but it would be laughable for a person of sound mind to consider that a serious trigger to something illegal.

This is a massively long way of saying "I don't believe you".

My point was about inciting violence, and Donald Trump has definitely, unquestionably done that.
This is a massively long way of saying "I don't believe you".

My point was about inciting violence, and Donald Trump has definitely, unquestionably done that.

what are you talking about? when has he operationally incited violence? how is he an authority to random people? if people put trust like that in a politician, due to being delusional (as he isn't a source of special knowledge), then that's their own fault. would you say sarah palin deserves prison just because one of her supporters listened to her saying "don't retreat! RELOAD!" in a political context regarding the defeat of her political rival and then shot somebody (I can't remember who it was, be they the actual candidate or not)?
what are you talking about? when has he operationally incited violence? how is he an authority to random people? if people put trust like that in a politician, due to being delusional (as he isn't a source of special knowledge), then that's their own fault. would you say sarah palin deserves prison just because one of her supporters listened to her saying "don't retreat! RELOAD!" in a political context regarding the defeat of her political rival and then shot somebody (I can't remember who it was, be they the actual candidate or not)?

Look above, at a rally he said:

"If you see someone getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them, would you? Seriously? Just knock the hell- I promise I'll pay you the legal fees"

If that isn't inciting violence then the Earth is flat.

And I know it's not Donald Trump's fault entirely, but given an opportunity, he should condemn it. Instead he actively encourages it.
Look above, at a rally he said:

"If you see someone getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them, would you? Seriously? Just knock the hell- I promise I'll pay you the legal fees"

If that isn't inciting violence then the Earth is flat.

And I know it's not Donald Trump's fault entirely, but given an opportunity, he should condemn it. Instead he actively encourages it.

but throwing a tomato is (at least) battery. he's encouraging people to prevent people from committing battery via returned battery. is that wrong? is that again legitimate principles of justice? also, the fact that you're resorting to statements about stopping people throwing things at him is kind of baffling
but throwing a tomato is (at least) battery. he's encouraging people to prevent people from committing battery via returned battery. is that wrong? is that again legitimate principles of justice? also, the fact that you're resorting to statements about stopping people throwing things at him is kind of baffling

What balls.

He is encouraging people to react to those who are protesting with violence.

And you're telling me he's encouraging people to prevent it?

Come on, wake up
Reply 18
One of many things he has said includes: "If you see someone getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them, would you? Seriously? Just knock the hell- I promise I'll pay you the legal fees"

So he should let people who want to be violent towards him, if someone is there with an intent to attack him or his supporters should he not encourage people to defend him?

The people who go there with tomatoes are inciting violence by planning on assaulting him.
What balls.

He is encouraging people to react to those who are protesting with violence.

And you're telling me he's encouraging people to prevent it?

Come on, wake up

throwing tomatoes = violence though.

Quick Reply

Latest