The Student Room Group

AS Levels

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes you can :smile:, check with your college but I haven't heard of it not being allowed at all.

Original post by t211056789
Can you re-sit all 3/4 AS Levels if you don't get the grade you want? I like to know the solutions to 'the worst case scenario' if you know what I mean.
AS dont count to A2 anymore though? so why would you?
Reply 3
Original post by Ishea16
AS dont count to A2 anymore though? so why would you?

Don't you need C's as a minimum to get in to A2? What happens then?
Don't you need C's as a minimum to get in to A2? What happens then?

not at my college
you just need to pass and show that you do your homework an put effort in etc
and they let you carry on
these AS are just going to contribute to your predicted grades
Reply 5
Original post by Ishea16
not at my college

Oh I see, thanks for clearing that up.
Reply 6
Original post by Ishea16
not at my college

AS levels do not contribute to your A2 grades, however they do contribute to your final A Level for that subject if you decide to keep it on.
Oh I see, thanks for clearing that up.

no problem,
just double check with your teachers though, it might be different at your college:smile:
Original post by Drunq
AS levels do not contribute to your A2 grades, however they do contribute to your final A Level for that subject if you decide to keep it on.

i dont think so
your AS which you wont carry on with (so are going to drop) will give you an AS qualification and the others you carry on with till A2, only the A2 qualification will count and what you did at AS wont contribute to any of it.
Reply 9
Original post by Ishea16
i dont think so
your AS which you wont carry on with (so are going to drop) will give you an AS qualification and the others you carry on with till A2, only the A2 qualification will count and what you did at AS wont contribute to any of it.

I don't believe so, correct me if I'm wrong

A level = AS + A2
However AS can be taken as a separate qualification.

Meaning that AS does count towards your A-Level after your A2 exams are taken.
Original post by Drunq
I don't believe so, correct me if I'm wrong

A level = AS + A2
However AS can be taken as a separate qualification.

Meaning that AS does count towards your A-Level after your A2 exams are taken.

nope im pretty sure AS dont contribute to A2
are you in AS? because its changed a lot now
Reply 11
Can you re-sit all 3/4 AS Levels if you don't get the grade you want? I like to know the solutions to 'the worst case scenario' if you know what I mean.

It is possible to resit 3/4 AS Levels if you have taken the A2 exams for them to bring up your final grades. Note that new government standards specify you cannot retake certain modules, so you'll have to retake all of the AS exams.
Reply 12
Original post by Ishea16
nope im pretty sure AS dont contribute to A2
are you in AS? because its changed a lot now

I never said that AS contributes to A2, I'm saying AS contributes to your final A-level grade.

I'm in A2 at the moment.
Original post by Drunq
I never said that AS contributes to A2, I'm saying AS contributes to your final A-level grade.

I'm in A2 at the moment.

thats the same thing?:confused:
Reply 14
Original post by Ishea16
thats the same thing?:confused:

They aren't. I believe you got the wrong idea.

To get an A-Level you need a AS and A2 qualification. They both contribute to your final A-Level grade. Either of them alone will not give you a final grade. And doing poorer in your AS than your A2 will lower your grade.
Original post by Drunq
They aren't. I believe you got the wrong idea.

To get an A-Level you need a AS and A2 qualification. They both contribute to your final A-Level grade. Either of them alone will not give you a final grade. And doing poorer in your AS than your A2 will lower your grade.

listen yh that's not true
im not even doing an AS for chemistry even though im doing chemistry till A2 because it doesnt add up to anything
the only reason some people are doing AS is
1) they will drop it at A2 so will have a separate AS qualification
or
2)the teachers want to test what you would get if you sat your exams so they get a better prediction for your predicted grades

if you are carrying on your subjects till A2 then what you do at AS doesnt count.

it has changed a lot since last year and i'm trying to get used to this as well so our teachers have explained this many times:smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Ishea16
listen yh that's not true
im not even doing an AS for chemistry even though im doing chemistry till A2 because it doesnt add up to anything
the only reason some people are doing AS is
1) they will drop it at A2 so will have a separate AS qualification
or
2)the teachers want to test what you would get if you sat your exams so they get a better prediction for your predicted grades

if you are carrying on your subjects till A2 then what you do at AS doesnt count.

it has changed a lot since last year and i'm trying to get used to this as well so our teachers have explained this many times:smile:

Yes that's true. However this only applies to the following subjects who have started teaching AS (September 2015):
English language, English Literature, English Language and Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, Computer Science, Business, History, Art & Design, Economics and Sociology
Original post by Drunq
Yes that's true. However this only applies to the following subjects who have started teaching AS (September 2015):
English language, English Literature, English Language and Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, Computer Science, Business, History, Art & Design, Economics and Sociology

pretty much all the subjects :rolleyes:but anyway where did you get that info from?
Reply 18
Original post by Ishea16
pretty much all the subjects :rolleyes:but anyway where did you get that info from?

http://www.careerpilot.org.uk/info/a-levels/a-levels-are-changing-in-2015-an/

Enjoy.

dont you think i would know since i am doing AS?
maths is not in the list but AS maths doesnt count anything towards your A2 maths grade as my teachers have repeatedly said

"“I started AS-levels in September 2015 (or after)….” The only exams which will shape your whole A-level grade will be at the end of Year 13. In fact, going forward, exams will be the preferred method of assessment for A-level students, over coursework which will be less frequent. Any exams you do have at the end of your AS year will be independent of your overall A-level mark.

However AS-levels are still pretty important (see points 2. and 3. above). Your teachers will still use them as a marker of your performance when deciding your predicted grades which universities will see. The importance of your GCSE grades may also increase as universities look to these too.

Plus they can be great preparation for that all-important Year 13 when everything counts!

AS and A2 will no longer be separated into modules and there will be no more January exams."http://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/why-your-as-level-grades-really-matter#sep16andbeyonda slightly more reliable source:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest