The Student Room Group

IMPORTANT!Just had a seizure, should I go on lads holiday? *Doc's advice too please?*

I had a seizure on Monday. Flight to Croatia on lads holiday tomorrow morning at 8am. Need to be out of the house by 6am.

When to a mates 20th birthday bash on Sunday, drank quite a lot- came home at 1am and was a little drunk but fine. Woke up at 7am and then had a seizure at 11am- this was my first and it was quite bad- though I don't remember any of it.

Was in hospital for a few hours, but the AandE doctor didn't speak very good English and only said to me that my blood was good and that I could go home- but had to organise a 'First Fit Clinic' later on.

I think the seizure was due to alcohol poisoning- I'm feeling fine now, just a sore neck.

I've put down all the (non-refundable) payments on my holiday and i've got travel insurance etc. I want to go really badly and I know I wouldn't drink- just as a precaution I plan on not drinking for a few months. But I don't know the reason for the seizure for sure, even if its the most obvious.

Opinions... should I go or not?
Cant say it would amount to medical advice imo and it looks like it can vary from person to person. If youd have posted this morning then I could have given you some phone numbers. Personal choice i cant say. Do you get them often?

Ask on the medical section, but its actual medical advice and your GP is the one who should be giving it or the hospital.
(edited 8 years ago)
This is a tricky situation to be in OP. My brother had a random seizure last year and it developed into full-on epilepsy. Months later he was diagnosed with a very rare type of epilepsy. It would be best to see a doctor for advice, but it looks like it's too late for that now. However, it is truly up to you. Personally, I would advise against this… simply because of how much danger you could be in say… if you had a seizure during the flight? What tests were done? Did you have an ECG/EEG done? Blood tests? Urine sample?
Your health is worth more than a lads holiday deposits, my course are had the same thing and had a brain hemorrhage a few days later and died instantly, I wouldn't go and I most certainly would not drink at all - that's probably the worst thing you could do
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I had a seizure on Monday. Flight to Croatia on lads holiday tomorrow morning at 8am. Need to be out of the house by 6am.

When to a mates 20th birthday bash on Sunday, drank quite a lot- came home at 1am and was a little drunk but fine. Woke up at 7am and then had a seizure at 11am- this was my first and it was quite bad- though I don't remember any of it.

Was in hospital for a few hours, but the AandE doctor didn't speak very good English and only said to me that my blood was good and that I could go home- but had to organise a 'First Fit Clinic' later on.

I think the seizure was due to alcohol poisoning- I'm feeling fine now, just a sore neck.

I've put down all the (non-refundable) payments on my holiday and i've got travel insurance etc. I want to go really badly and I know I wouldn't drink- just as a precaution I plan on not drinking for a few months. But I don't know the reason for the seizure for sure, even if its the most obvious.

Opinions... should I go or not?

You could go and be absolutely fine and this be a one off, but odds are you will have at least some type of complication and I would not like that to happen to me in a foreign country. Then there's the risk that the filgh could cause even more trouble.
I would not advise it. I think the risks are far bigger than the deposit and any other money. Don't risk it. I'd call your doc in the morning too since you aren't too sure on what was said.

I think seizures is one of the things you can't fly with usually. If you do ignore advice and plan to go anyway I would check very carefuly about that and be sure not to drink or anything.
(edited 8 years ago)
Btw theres a chance your insurance wouldnt cover you becayse in the small print it may requie you to notify them if you have been in hospital. its just a shame you didnt ask this afternoon.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Btw theres a chance your insurance wouldnt cover you becayse in the small print it may requie you to notify them if you have been in hospital. its just a shame you didnt ask this afternoon.

Thank you! What kind of numbers??

Anymore advice from anyone??
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you! What kind of numbers??

Anymore advice from anyone??

You need to be signed off by the hospital or your GP imo.
Am assuming its epilepsy, and they were epilepsy helplines but really dont know. You dont really give any information.

Only thing I can think of is NHS111
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/Emergencyandurgentcareservices/Pages/NHS-111.aspx
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest