The Student Room Group

Enough for Oxbridge Economics? *UPDATED*

Scroll to see replies

I am somewhat concerned that there is a belief that 7A*s will get you into Oxford. That simply isn't true. People can get rejected with 11A* and others get in without A*s. There is no guarantee anyone will get into Oxbridge. You only need to look on here to see people who have been rejected with outstanding grades. Back up universities are required in case of rejection
Original post by jneill
"Needed" has a very specific meaning. And using it perpuates the TSR myth about Oxford's reliance on GCSEs.

Here's something showing the average per course (and note that the average doesn't mean it's a requirement). Only two had 7 A* average. E&M (the course under discussion here, has 5.7)

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 23.22.56.jpg

This is outdated, 2010. The admissions officer said that since AS levels have been scrapped, GCSEs will play a greater role in making a decision. He reckoned that a competitive applicant will need 7A*s. Applications have undoubtedly been getting even more competitive since then, that's why they increased their minimum requirements for the course too, suggesting that people have in general been more competitive.

It was a mistake on my part for not mentioning this however simply replying with 'Wrong.' instead of questioning me wasn't a professional move by your part.
Original post by swanseajack1
I am somewhat concerned that there is a belief that 7A*s will get you into Oxford. That simply isn't true. People can get rejected with 11A* and others get in without A*s. There is no guarantee anyone will get into Oxbridge. You only need to look on here to see people who have been rejected with outstanding grades. Back up universities are required in case of rejection

Its due to the lack of AS level, the only subjects with AS level are Maths, further maths and a couple others.
Reply 43
Original post by Youngmetro
This is outdated, 2010. The admissions officer said that since AS levels have been scrapped, GCSEs will play a greater role in making a decision. He reckoned that a competitive applicant will need 7A*s. Applications have undoubtedly been getting even more competitive since then, that's why they increased their minimum requirements for the course too, suggesting that people have in general been more competitive.

It was a mistake on my part for not mentioning this however simply replying with 'Wrong.' instead of questioning me wasn't a professional move by your part.

Oxford state:

GCSEs
We do not have any specific requirements for GCSE grades, though higher grades can help to make your application more competitive. Successful applicants typically have a high proportion of A and A* grades.

It was your use of the word "need" that was, and remains, false.
Reply 44

AS Levels have not been scrapped, they have simply been decoupled from the whole A-Level. In other words, your AS grade will not count towards the whole A Level and to get the A Level you take the AS exams again together with the A2 at the end of year 13.
Its due to the lack of AS level, the only subjects with AS level are Maths, further maths and a couple others.

With or without AS levels doesn't matter. The fact is there are people getting rejected with A*A*A* at A level. People cannot assume any grades at GCSE is going to guarantee entry. I know people who got rejected by Cambridge despite getting A*A*A*A* and A*A*A*A at A level a couple of years ago. It is highly competitive.
Original post by jneill
Oxford state:

GCSEs
We do not have any specific requirements for GCSE grades, though higher grades can help to make your application more competitive. Successful applicants typically have a high proportion of A and A* grades.

It was your use of the word "need" that was, and remains, false.

Your ignorance is quite evident here, typical of people on TSR. I'll refer you to my comment about reforms; With AS levels scrapped, the admissions officer speculated that GCSEs will be looked at in greater scrutiny, and suggested that based on the competition of courses, 7A*s is ideal. I can't remember the exact words but it was roughly this.

I've already acknowledged my mistake about using the word 'need'.
Reply 47
As a guidance, that is what is good. I go to a top grammar school that have close connections with the unis and said that 7A*s are good enough.

Utter ********.
Reply 48
I've already acknowledged my mistake about using the word 'need'.

Apology accepted.

We are taking this OT anyway.

The bigger concern will be whether OP will be on target for the typical offer (A*A*A at Cambridge and A*AA for Oxford). His GCSEs are fine assuming he hits his prediction.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kevin:)
AS Levels have not been scrapped, they have simply been decoupled from the whole A-Level. In other words, your AS grade will not count towards the whole A Level and to get the A Level you take the AS exams again together with the A2 at the end of year 13.

Yeah the 'decoupling' will add emphasis to GCSE. Plus not all schools are doing the AS level, just mocks set in school. (e.g. my stupid school)
Original post by swanseajack1
With or without AS levels doesn't matter. The fact is there are people getting rejected with A*A*A* at A level. People cannot assume any grades at GCSE is going to guarantee entry. I know people who got rejected by Cambridge despite getting A*A*A*A* and A*A*A*A at A level a couple of years ago. It is highly competitive.

I never meant to suggest that it would guarantee entry, sorry
Guys, it's fine haha. Mistakes happen :smile: this is all still useful input however!
Original post by jneill
Apology accepted.

We are taking this OT anyway.

Your ignorance is clear, just ignore everything else cos you think your right old man.

Original post by alow
Utter ********.

kl
Reply 52
Yeah the 'decoupling' will add emphasis to GCSE.

Cambridge have said it won't.
Reply 53
Your ignorance is clear, just ignore everything else cos you think your right old man.

kl

You have no idea what you're talking about, kiddo.
Original post by alow
You have no idea what you're talking about, kiddo.

You're failing at trying to belittle me, I have made my point to OP and jneill has suggested otherwise. You on the other hand are irrelevant.
Reply 55
You're failing at trying to belittle me, I have made my point to OP and jneill has suggested otherwise. You on the other hand are irrelevant.

And yet I'm the one at Oxbridge.
It is a huge myth that you need 10 A*s or more at GCSE to get into oxbridge. A handful will do, honestly. 5-8 is plenty, providing you ge no low grades. Even though GCSES are important, your a levels are where most of it lies. You could get average GCSE results and still come out of a levels with A*A*A. Backed up with experience, a good application and excellent A level results, your GCSEs are not the most important thing. You will not get looked down upon for getting 8 A*s by any means, this is far higher than the national average! Do not fret!
Original post by jneill
Cambridge have said it won't.

That's irrelevant, im just giving OP rough guidance and ultimately trying to say that his grades are good enough.

And we can never tell since it hasnt been like this in the past.
Original post by TheAppleGeek111
i agree. can't get myself to calm down haha - I've heard 7A* too but we'll be going head to head with students with upwards of 15A*s - thats why I was asking if they would consider me with what I've done

15 A*s is ridiculous I don't even know anyone who has 15 GCSEs! You don't need 7A*s I've been to Oxford a couple of times and a guy I spoke to there had only 3A*s. He wasn't on an uncompetitive course either, he was studying physics! A girl I spoke to also said her friend got in with no A*s.
Original post by alow
And yet I'm the one at Oxbridge.

Well done, but you have not given any useful input here. I would rather you give your opinion as opposed to trying to put me down. If you think its bullsh*t, then do give a counter argument. TSR is for everyones help including me and im willing to listen but making irrelevant statements does not help.

Quick Reply