The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
Can't have been overrated for 22 years bro.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol think what you will, I'm just giving my opinion of my university. And looking at the other replies, I'm not the only one who thinks this.

My course has an offer rate of over 80% but people in it act like they're some big shot prodigies.
Overrated: Queen Mary, UCL, KCL, Durham
Underrated: Bath, Nottingham, Lancaster
Original post by noticemesenpai
In my opinion, i think Aston University is overrated. Just saying.

Yep, coming from bham, most people in bham overrate it and act as if it's better than UoB when in fact people rarely mention it from outside bham lol. They also set their requirement high for a-levels with like ABB yet most people in the course are btech, my best mate told me his no one else in his class did A-level lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say it depends on the course for warwick economics seems amazing but I guy I know got an offer for Biochem or something like that with a Btech, one of the easier ones. Think of that what you will. But even then, it's still pretty strong overall.
I'd like to place Exeter in the overrated a **** list. Its ranking on the complete uni guide is why i don't take that website seriously anymore

Also, manchester, despite being highly regarded is still underrated imo.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lawbringer
Yep, coming from bham, most people in bham overrate it and act as if it's better than UoB when in fact people rarely mention it from outside bham lol. They also set their requirement high for a-levels with like ABB yet most people in the course are btech, my best mate told me his no one else in his class did A-level lol.

Haha, same all i heard was Aston, Birmingham City University and University College of Birmingham. I attend University of Birmingham, to be honest I'm glad that i avoided applying to Aston, i think people from out of Birmingham think about going there too. I have a cousin who lives out of Birmingham, he got the grades to get into UoB but...he went to Aston instead. I have completed a vocational course but mine was graded, i had to complete like 30 units in first year? And in second year 12 units and 3 5,000 word essays. My class has more A level than vocational.
Locally underrated: Manchester
I think Aberystwyth is very underrated, they have very good student satisfaction, and future employment rates, and are rated well in the national tables as well as having a very high standard of teaching. I think the problem is that they're quite a small uni in comparison to others though so they tend to get overlooked by larger more well-known uni's like Cardiff or other welsh uni's. Personally though i believe they deserve more recognition then they get.
imo, overrated: Nottingham, Warwick, Surrey, KCL and Exeter

Posted from TSR Mobile

what is this based on?
Original post by noticemesenpai
Haha, same all i heard was Aston, Birmingham City University and University College of Birmingham. I attend University of Birmingham, to be honest I'm glad that i avoided applying to Aston, i think people from out of Birmingham think about going there too. I have a cousin who lives out of Birmingham, he got the grades to get into UoB but...he went to Aston instead. I have completed a vocational course but mine was graded, i had to complete like 30 units in first year? And in second year 12 units and 3 5,000 word essays. My class has more A level than vocational.

I didn't mean Btech or anything was worse. But those who did have btech did like rubbish I mean my mate got AAA and he didn't go bham like a hero so he got stuck in aston with people who have never done exams and cause the lecturers to stop a lot. He put so much effort in but aston let almost anyone in so he wasted his time going there. I ain't trying to hate but just tell it as it lol.

Uni of bham are much stricter so even you did do an alternative course you damn sure know the person did well in it or else they wouldn't be there. It's why I am taking 1 year out and applying to UoB instead of taking my place @ aston.
Original post by stefano865
Along with places like Bath and Sussex it is a popular choice for people who didn't quite make it into Russell Group unis.

Hence why almost 30% of their intake each year are privately educated students.

I've never met anyone who went/is going to OB nor talked to anyone who ever wanted to go there... From what I've heard, it's pretty bad uni without good reputation and low down in rankings... Not studied there myself though, just what I've heard.
Original post by Lawliettt
I'd like to place Exeter in the overrated a **** list. Its ranking on the complete uni guide is why i don't take that website seriously anymore

Also, manchester, despite being highly regarded is still underrated imo.

Don't forget about Times/Sunday Times and the Guardian. All three websites must have been removed from your bookmarks by now.

Why don't you like about Mighty Exon?
Original post by lastlullabyy
I've never met anyone who went/is going to OB nor talked to anyone who ever wanted to go there... From what I've heard, it's pretty bad uni without good reputation and low down in rankings... Not studied there myself though, just what I've heard.

Yeah I think it's average.

But still attracts lots of students from private schools who would have probably applied to some Russell Group unis too.
Overrated: QMUL, Exeter.

Underrated: Lancaster, Nottingham

I might be biased with Lancaster because I go there but even though I had some unpleasant encounters in my department this year (3rd year), I still think it's a great uni with amazing, well-prepared staff and high student satisfaction. However, I know it's not always considered by people when applying on equal terms with RG universities, for instance. Keeps climbing up in universities tables and I am for sure happy with 3 years I've spent here :smile: Nottingham based on what I've heard from friends and some other people that go there.
Reply 95
It's impossible to answer this question - unless someone has had some sort of interaction with every British university. Most people on TSR have only been to one university, perhaps two.
Is everyone here gonna ignore the fact that the OP of this question is banned? LOOL
Original post by Lawbringer
I didn't mean Btech or anything was worse. But those who did have btech did like rubbish I mean my mate got AAA and he didn't go bham like a hero so he got stuck in aston with people who have never done exams and cause the lecturers to stop a lot. He put so much effort in but aston let almost anyone in so he wasted his time going there. I ain't trying to hate but just tell it as it lol.

Uni of bham are much stricter so even you did do an alternative course you damn sure know the person did well in it or else they wouldn't be there. It's why I am taking 1 year out and applying to UoB instead of taking my place @ aston.

I'm glad that my college course covered most of the stuff in university, I guess I am lucky. I recommend working your arse off because it was very difficult to get in the university. I guess it depends on what kind of vocational you do, mine was not BTECH but in some courses BTECH can be of an advantage. From personal experience, I think both are good My course has more coursework than exams which puts the vocational at an advantage, also my lecturers structure the lectures to suit both vocational and A levels.
Looool, I was more making a point about the quote within the article :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
Posted from TSR Mobile

Overrated: QMUL, KCL, UCL.
Underrated: Notts, St Georges, Bath.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending