Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serine Soul
James Dean and Audrey Hepburn :heart:

:h:
Because it's an utterly beautiful subject :love:

And extremely satisfying :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by HapaxOromenon2
Not necessarily, for example the following statement can be neither proved or disproved:

"If the set S has a smaller cardinality than a set T, then S also has fewer subsets than T".
- It is undecidable.

I know there are exceptions but I'm saying if something has been proven true or false, then that is that - there's no arguing with it. I mean examples like trisecting an angle using straight edge and compass, the fact that then can not be a general quintic formula, squaring the circle, eiπ=1 e^{i\pi}=-1 . Amazing what can be done with maths (people will say that these problems I said above cannot be applied to the real world but does it really matter??)
Original post by BrokenLife
I don't :indiff:

I feel sad that some people are incapable of seeing it's true beauty. :frown:
Reply 24
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Physics can to some extent.

Physics only helps with real world things. What use is that?? :wink:
Reply 25
Original post by Bernie2016

They're missing out for sure. You can never get someone to see what you're seeing in maths.
Original post by Bernie2016

Think I'm on the wrong thread :biggrin: I mean just look at those reps you got!:tongue: But hey its not everyone's cup of tea:h:
Original post by HapaxOromenon2
Not necessarily, for example the following statement can be neither proved or disproved:

"If the set S has a smaller cardinality than a set T, then S also has fewer subsets than T".
- It is undecidable.

Given current ZFC. It is not impossible that in the future a new axiom might be added which fits everything so far achieved and allows us to prove extra statements.
Reply 28
The fact that 0!=1 has allowed me to confuse so many people:mmm::lol:
Original post by xs4
The fact that 0!=1 has allowed me to confuse so many people:mmm::lol:

Back in pre school I used to yell random multiplication questions at classmates and smirk when they couldn't answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by drandy76
Back in pre school I used to yell random multiplication questions at classmates and smirk when they couldn't answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lol::lol:
I guess it's because with maths, once you understand it and get to grips with it it's easier unlike with essay subjects. Also, it's more clear cut so the answer is either right or wrong whereas if you get a nasty essay question in English Lit or RS then RIP 😂
In maths even for the nastiest questions you can still get marks for working out and there are always other questions to answer and in essay subjects you can be left feeling like 'omg I just bs my way through it, what if everything is wrong/incomplete/not structured properly'
Also the marking is subjective, my friend once got a low B at GCSE English and remarked it to get an A. That kind of crap doesn't happen with maths.
Reply 32
Reminder: clean up this thread.
Reply 33
Original post by RueXO
I guess it's because with maths, once you understand it and get to grips with it it's easier unlike with essay subjects. Also, it's more clear cut so the answer is either right or wrong whereas if you get a nasty essay question in English Lit or RS then RIP 😂
In maths even for the nastiest questions you can still get marks for working out and there are always other questions to answer and in essay subjects you can be left feeling like 'omg I just bs my way through it, what if everything is wrong/incomplete/not structured properly'
Also the marking is subjective, my friend once got a low B at GCSE English and remarked it to get an A. That kind of crap doesn't happen with maths.

Maths essays are a thing at university level.
Original post by Zacken
Maths essays are a thing at university level.
u wot m8😂😭 how? What would you write?
Reply 36
The Lorenz attractor, absolutely stunning. (defined by)
dx/dt = σ(y-x) ,dy/dt = x(p-z)-y & dz/dt = xy-βz respectively

lol movement through euclidean space xyz.. #YaDigg?:lol:
Who says I do?
I don't. Despise it.
I like it alot. Really fun doing hard problems, I am of a moderately decent level of skill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest