The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship (National Grid) or Uni

I've just been offered a higher apprenticeship with National Grid with a starting salary of £23,500 rising to £33,000 in two years, so I'll be 21 with a foundation degree and based on performance the chance to take that to a honours/masters degree in power system engineering. I'm also considering taking a Chemical engineer degree at uni instead. Just wanting to get some thoughts and ideas in which I should do and if that is a good salary for my age.
If you take the apprenticeship, I assume they pay for the degree for you? Plus, you'll get experience. That sounds like a pretty decent salary to me. Do you know what options you have with both degrees?
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
If you take the apprenticeship, I assume they pay for the degree for you? Plus, you'll get experience. That sounds like a pretty decent salary to me. Do you know what options you have with both degrees?

Yeah they pay for the degree. The degree is in combination with management as my role would involve a lot of planning and with the degree I could move into more managerial roles and into electrical engineering roles. With the chemical engineering role i can branch into a variety of things because of its diversity though I'm not sure its worth it with the fees and no job guarantee.
Hie did you go to assessment centre or they just gave you an offer..
Reply 4
Yeah I've been to the assessment centre and I got offered the place 2 weeks after
I had my video interview, waiting to be invited to assessment centre, they said 2 weeks before but it looks like 2 weeks running out without invite, when did they invite you to assessment centre and any tips
Reply 6
They told me about a week or a few days before the assessment centre. If I ha tips it'd be to be honest. The interview questions try to get the best out of you and they encourage you to talk about past experiences that match up to the job role. Also on group exercises be interactive and vocal so that they see you and you show them that you can work and contribute to the team
hie did you get to do any maths test or any timed test,,,
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
No we didn't do any tests except a colour test but that's really easy and simple
Did some of the applicants took notes in, or did you
Hie did you get a phone call, how many were you at the assessment centre, and how many did they want
hi terrchaonza have had the invite for the assessment centre
Reply 12
Original post by trepid123
hi terrchaonza have had the invite for the assessment centre

Hi trepid
You know the video interviews can you find out what all 3 question will be before you submit your videos and is there a timescale from the first to the last video?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending