The Student Room Group

Medicine gap year applicants with 4 rejections 2016

Hey not sure if there is anything like this but I'll just put it out there.

I am putting this out for all the medicine applicants who are in a gap year but have failed to get in (hence the title). I know there must be more than just me or this would pointless.

So I'll start by sharing stats, how each of my applications went (hint there failed) and what I'm now going to do.

Stats (for those who love stats)
- 4 A*, 3 A, 2 B and 1 C at GCSE (nothing too exciting)
- 4 A, AS level
- 3 A*, A2 (how did i mess it up with that)

My application this year
- Cardiff (rejected pre-interview no reason yet)
- Newcastle (post interview still waiting on feedback)
- Nottingham (cutoff went from 39 to 46 i had 44...)
- Leicester (post interview messed up three stations had 74/144)

And now I'm going to take York biomed and think of it as a stepping stone to medicine if that is what I still want in three years. Also in Nepal atm doing medical work experience and other lovely stuff.

Hopefully someone will reply or at least read it to make them feel a little better!

Scroll to see replies

Did your UKCAT bring you down?
Reply 2
Original post by BristolFresher15
Did your UKCAT bring you down?

It got me into Newcastle and Leicester and Cardiff don't really look at it but for Nottingham it meant I was two points below the cutoff (i got 697.5)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JJB237
It got me into Newcastle and Leicester and Cardiff don't really look at it but for Nottingham it meant I was two points below the cutoff (i got 697.5)

Oh okay, that's a fairly high score. Well, from personal experience, Medicine in the UK involves a lot of luck and overlooking of strong candidates considering the fierce competition. I'm glad you haven't let it bring you down and are still moving forward!
Why don't you reapply or go to Europe? You'll defo get in in Europe if Medicine is what you want and you end up in the same place anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by Squishy•
Why don't you reapply or go to Europe? You'll defo get in in Europe if Medicine is what you want and you end up in the same place anyway.

Do you know anyone who has done that? It might be worth considering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JJB237
Do you know anyone who has done that? It might be worth considering

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, loads of people. My friends doing it in Bulgaria this year
Yeah, loads of people. My friends doing it in Bulgaria this year

Do you have any ideas how they find it, stdudying abroad and having to learn another language? I'm in the same situation as JJB237 and thats is one of my main concerns tbh, because at the end of the day if you want to study you'll do it anywhere, just need to understand how easy it is to settle in and get accustomed to anotger country 😊
Original post by thei11usionist
Do you have any ideas how they find it, stdudying abroad and having to learn another language? I'm in the same situation as JJB237 and thats is one of my main concerns tbh, because at the end of the day if you want to study you'll do it anywhere, just need to understand how easy it is to settle in and get accustomed to anotger country 😊

My friends doing it in Bulgaria too and I think they teach all of it in English actually.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
My friends doing it in Bulgaria too and I think they teach all of it in English actually.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but you eventually have to learn the language too, so you can communicate with patients.

Well the whole course is in English, so everyone on ur course will speak English and a lot of them are students who moved abroad like yourself. The majority of people working there at shops and etc also speak English so the language barrier isn't anything to be worried about. Although you do end up learning a bit here and there.
When it comes to patient contact m, if they don't speak English the university provides a translator for you free.
The living expenses are always miles cheaper than England and you end up being a doctor so I'd say it's really worth it if you have a passion for it. Flights back home are really cheap and around £49 most times or can be less.
Well the whole course is in English, so everyone on ur course will speak English and a lot of them are students who moved abroad like yourself. The majority of people working there at shops and etc also speak English so the language barrier isn't anything to be worried about. Although you do end up learning a bit here and there.
When it comes to patient contact m, if they don't speak English the university provides a translator for you free.
The living expenses are always miles cheaper than England and you end up being a doctor so I'd say it's really worth it if you have a passion for it. Flights back home are really cheap and around £49 most times or can be less.

Ah I see, thanks a lot for your help! I assume we would still be required to learn the language though because I checked and they gove you lessons alongside your lectures to get you to a decent level, whilst I probably wont be applying to Bulgaria, it was helpful to know some of the stuff you mentioned so thanks for that 😊
Reply 12
Well if I can survive this three months in Nepal, I think I can manage Europe

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really hope you get to pursue your dream. All your hard work will pay off. Would you take another gap year!? :smile:

Original post by JJB237

I am putting this out for all the medicine applicants who are in a gap year but have failed to get in (hence the title). I know there must be more than just me or this would pointless.

So I'll start by sharing stats, how each of my applications went (hint there failed) and what I'm now going to do.

- 4 A, AS level

My application this year

And now I'm going to take York biomed and think of it as a stepping stone to medicine if that is what I still want in three years. Also in Nepal atm doing medical work experience and other lovely stuff.

Hopefully someone will reply or at least read it to make them feel a little better!
Original post by JJB237

- 4 A, AS level

My application this year

Im the same as you, I want to do medicine, have A*AA and just been rejected for all 4 again! Very gutted but I still want to do medicine
Original post by helloravers
Im the same as you, I want to do medicine, have A*AA and just been rejected for all 4 again! Very gutted but I still want to do medicine

Sorry to hear that :frown: I feel your pain I really do! Are you also considering europe or do you wish to give it another shot in england next year? JJB237 and I are also in the same position, so you're not alone (I know thats no consolation either way) but there are other options, have a look at the eunicas.com website 😊
Reply 16
HEY
I've not just got 4 rejections but 5 ( biomed at Edinburgh if your wondering)
Stats :s-smilie:cottish applicant
5 As Higher
3As Predicted advanced higher
UKCAT 2710 Band 1
Rejected from
Edinburgh - Waiting list top 250 - top third in academics and personal statement, 3rd octile UKCAT, Band 1 SJT
Aberdeen - Waiting list screwed
Glasgow - up
St.Andrews - all 3 interviews probably, sigh, thought I was confident and I tried giving good answers :frown:Maybe I need to be more personal and unique when answering??
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry to hear that :frown: I feel your pain I really do! Are you also considering europe or do you wish to give it another shot in england next year? JJB237 and I are also in the same position, so you're not alone (I know thats no consolation either way) but there are other options, have a look at the eunicas.com website 😊

thank you, ill take a look! very tough being rejected 2nd time round isn't it!
Its surprising that people are rejected with such great grades! I could only dream about 3A* :redface:

But I think the common thing here is the interviews. I do think if you fail the first time post interview, that you should try again, improving upon that. Tbh it just depends on a bit of luck too, who's interviewing you, how you're feeling on the day, if it's mmi rather than panel.

Good luck for everyone trying to get in!

P.S If you need interview tips, I'd be happy to help :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by helloravers
thank you, ill take a look! very tough being rejected 2nd time round isn't it!

It is indeed, I think it takes time to sink in, I am still going through the process of picking myself up. I love this quote from Batman, one of my favourite films: "Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up". Let me know how the search goes, we can all help each other on this thread through these times, who knows perhaps even end up at the same uni haha! God bless :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending