Original post by Princepieman
Cuz, I'm a negative nancy.

Clearly.
Original post by Lucas_97
Overrated: Warwick (only good for Econ), Nottingham and UCL
Underrated: Bath and St Andrews

Maths...
Original post by stefano865
Along with places like Bath and Sussex it is a popular choice for people who didn't quite make it into Russell Group unis.

Hence why almost 30% of their intake each year are privately educated students.

I rejected 3 RGs to come to Bath, most of the people I know did something similar, usually with a middling RG as insurance, some got to Oxbridge entrance exams. Maybe your perspective was true a decade or so ago but certainly not today.
Original post by Student403
I'd say it's a mix but certainly it ranks well. Higher than Imperial which in my opinion is not true

Yeah its an amazing university but international rankings give students an inflated ego, it's probably the weakest of the 3 "big" London unis still excellent though.
Original post by Pro Crastination
I rejected 3 RGs to come to Bath, most of the people I know did something similar, usually with a middling RG as insurance, some got to Oxbridge entrance exams. Maybe your perspective was true a decade or so ago but certainly not today.

Yeah I don't understand the hard-on for RGs, its normally people from those middling RGs that make a big deal out of it dont see oxbridge/imperial/UCL students making a big deal of it.
Underrated: Oxford, Imperial, Warwick
Overrated: Everything else, especially KCL and Edinburgh
Original post by Oilfreak1
Yeah I don't understand the hard-on for RGs, its normally people from those middling RGs that make a big deal out of it dont see oxbridge/imperial students making a big deal of it.

Exactly, originally I was going to insure with Birmingham but during their open day the lecturer made a huge deal out of how important RG status was and what it meant careers-wise (lol), whereas York actually talked about their research and what they offered students academically, only a passing mention of RG status, was far more impressed and subsequently insured with them.

Also I say this in every 'underrated uni' thread: Nottingham.
(edited 7 years ago)
Exactly, originally I was going to insure with Birmingham but during their open day the lecturer made a huge deal out of how important RG status was and what it meant careers-wise (lol), whereas York actually talked about their research and what they offered students academically, only a passing mention of RG status, was far more impressed and subsequently insured with them.

It's funny because RG means almost nothing career wise yet they bang on about it. I did my undergrad at an RG (Manchester), so i'm not saying this because i'm bitter about an RG rejection or anything lol.

Fair point.

I guess 'Russell Group' University still carries some weight.

Bath probably is equal to somewhere like Leeds Or Sheffield in most subjects. Having said that I doubt anyone would pick Bath over an RG for English.

But it's among the best in the country for Engineering and Maths I think.

RG is largely overrated anyway tbh.

:wink:
I wish I'd applied to Bath and Southampton. I think they're very underrated, and excellent for engineering
Original post by stefano865
Fair point.

I guess 'Russell Group' University still carries some weight.

Bath probably is equal to somewhere like Leeds Or Sheffield in most subjects. Having said that I doubt anyone would pick Bath over an RG for English.

But it's among the best in the country for Engineering and Maths I think.

RG is largely overrated anyway tbh.

:wink:

You're quite right there...
Original post by PLM98
:toofunny:

This has to be one of the best response of this whole thread. Well said broooo 👌🏽👍🏽👍🏽🙂
Original post by Princepieman
Overrated: LSE, UCL, KCL (deffffffoooooo), St Andrews, Lancaster (it's not really a top 10-11 uni.. )
Underrated: Bath, Birmingham, Sheffield, Leeds, Loughborough, UEA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah Prince, surly you would add Warwrick to the overrated list..... :wink:

Overrated- LSE, UCL, Warwick.......................

Underrated- Caltech (genuinely couldn't think of one in the UK)
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Well obviously a University is going to try to have a positive advertising campaign.

Everyone expects to go to uni and be spoon fed a degree, just because they go to a better University. I'd argue it's the other way around - the better University you go, the harder the workload.

It's not that at all. For example, the reason many of my coursemates and I dislike our degree is not because of the workload. It's because we expected things from our course that we were promised once we'd been given our offers, but have yet to see. There are many complaints by students on my course and other courses, but not one of them has to do with workload. We knew what our workload was going to be and were prepared for it.
Original post by Josb
It's impossible to answer this question - unless someone has had some sort of interaction with every British university. Most people on TSR have only been to one university, perhaps two.

A better thread title would ask you to name the most underrated/overrated universities and explain the reason(s) why.
Cambridge seems massively overhyped to me, people seem to think going to cambridge will automatically land you a 100k a week job upon graduation
Original post by Lawliettt
Exeter is bang average and one visit would be all it takes for you to realise that (unless you attendthere and you're defending iit's ranking based in bias).

And the other websites you listed don't have it above UCL or Bath so I'll stick with those. I didn't even like UCL that much. Especially for STEM subjects. But it's still way better than freaking exeter.

And the location is **** too. How can you build a uni on a hill?

I do attend Exetah, yes. Though I am not trying to defend its ranking -- its ranking doesn't mean anything to me because I am not a 17-year-old applicant. I just find your picking out Exeter baffling. Why not Lancaster and Surrey? Because you don't like hills?
Original post by AnonymousPrince319413
Ah Prince, surly you would add Warwrick to the overrated list..... :wink:

Overrated- LSE, UCL, Warwick.......................

Underrated- Caltech (genuinely couldn't think of one in the UK)

Hmmmmm I wonder why he didn't include Warwick :tongue:

Reckon he's not too happy about the number of upvotes that Warwick reply got :wink:
Original post by C_Richards99
Hmmmmm I wonder why he didn't include Warwick :tongue:

Reckon he's not too happy about the number of upvotes that Warwick reply got :wink:

Looooool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
I do attend Exetah, yes. Though I am not trying to defend its ranking -- its ranking doesn't mean anything to me because I am not a 17-year-old applicant. I just find your picking out Exeter baffling. Why not Lancaster and Surrey? Because you don't like hills?

They're both overrated too. I only mentioned Exeter because I've personally been there and i know for a fact it shouldn't be anywhere near 10th. I don't know what algorithm that website is using

Latest