The Student Room Group

Euthanasia - a solution to suffering?

Poll

Euthanasia - yes or no?

Proponents of euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide (PAS) contend that terminally ill people should have the right to end their suffering with a quick, dignified, and compassionate death. They argue that the right to die is protected by the same constitutional safeguards that guarantee such rights as marriage, procreation, and the refusal or termination of life-saving medical treatment.

Opponents of euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide contend that doctors have a moral responsibility to keep their patients alive as reflected by the Hippocratic Oath. They argue there may be a "slippery slope" from euthanasia to murder, and that legalizing euthanasia will unfairly target the poor and disabled and create incentives for insurance companies to terminate lives in order to save money. What does everyone think?

Scroll to see replies

It must always be an individuals choice.
Completely agree and I do believe that people should make their loved ones know this would be a choice should anything happen later on in life.
Reply 3
Original post by BaconandSauce
It must always be an individuals choice.

Where does coercion come into it? If people can be radicalised towards terror attacks whats to stop someone doing the same towards ending their life?
Yes, I think we should introduce it.
Any opposition based on religious beliefs ought to be discounted and ignored as they are irrelevant.
Original post by neb789
Where does coercion come into it? If people can be radicalised towards terror attacks whats to stop someone doing the same towards ending their life?

Because as I said it must be a choice and one preferably that has already been expressed (a bit like a donor card I carry on in case anything bad happens as I know I may not be able to when it actually does)

But I'm sure we can ensure coercion isn't a factor
Reply 6
Yes I wholeheartedly support it and have for several years, it is your choice whether you want to live or die and you should be given the freedom to make that choice if you terminally ill - providing you are of a sound state of mind.

It is cruel to force people to go on living when they are in such great pain and don't want to carry on.

And anyone trying to impose a religious argument can kindly :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: off, the approach to suicide by Christianity in particular has always been disgusting.
---
OMG THIS FILTER THING IS CUTE
Reply 7
Original post by thunder_chunky
Yes, I think we should introduce it.
Any opposition based on religious beliefs ought to be discounted and ignored as they are irrelevant.

What about medical opposition? Considering it discounts the Hippocratic oath?
as a Christian i am fundamentally opposed to people playing God. the Almighty has decreed the time and nature of our passing. it is not for some box ticking bureaucrat with their eye on the care bill to decide.
Reply 9
Because as I said it must be a choice and one preferably that has already been expressed (a bit like a donor card I carry on in case anything bad happens as I know I may not be able to when it actually does)

But I'm sure we can ensure coercion isn't a factor

Out of interest what might you suggest to prevent it?
Original post by neb789
What about medical opposition? Considering it discounts the Hippocratic oath?

I think doctors would want to do it if that was what the patient wanted and they had lost quality of life. I'm completely for euthanasia if done correctly, the Netherlands has a good system and personally if i became terminally ill I would like to have that choice.
Reply 11
Original post by claireestelle
I think doctors would want to do it if that was what the patient wanted and they had lost quality of life. I'm completely for euthanasia if done correctly, the Netherlands has a good system and personally if i became terminally ill I would like to have that choice.

What of those doctors who aren't comfortable with ending a life?
Original post by neb789
Out of interest what might you suggest to prevent it?

Perhaps an independent review of each case manned by say 2 doctors and a legal representative and they get the final decision regarding coercion and any identified coercion prosecuted quite severely
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by neb789
What of those doctors who aren't comfortable with ending a life?

If that was against their ethics then they should have the right to refuse, just like although i m pro choice i d understand if a medical professional asked someone else to conduct a termination if that was against their beliefs.
Reply 14
Perhaps an independent review of each case manned by say 2 doctors and a legal representative and they get the final decision regarding coercion and any identified identified coercion prosecuted quite severely

Like it! We should vote for you! :smile:
Original post by neb789
Like it! We should vote for you! :smile:

Many Thanks

but I have made sure all my family know my wishes and what they should do if something should happen to me (I did this after I had to watch a family member die of stomach cancer) and I've made sure they know they are to honor my wishes re the donor card.
Original post by neb789
Proponents of euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide (PAS) contend that terminally ill people should have the right to end their suffering with a quick, dignified, and compassionate death. They argue that the right to die is protected by the same constitutional safeguards that guarantee such rights as marriage, procreation, and the refusal or termination of life-saving medical treatment.

Opponents of euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide contend that doctors have a moral responsibility to keep their patients alive as reflected by the Hippocratic Oath. They argue there may be a "slippery slope" from euthanasia to murder, and that legalizing euthanasia will unfairly target the poor and disabled and create incentives for insurance companies to terminate lives in order to save money. What does everyone think?

what happened to the customer is always right?
Original post by the bear
as a Christian i am fundamentally opposed to people playing God. the Almighty has decreed the time and nature of our passing. it is not for some box ticking bureaucrat with their eye on the care bill to decide.

In other words, you'd prefer a person to suffer in constant agony and remain a burden on their families as they gradually become incapable of completing even the simplest of tasks as their organs begin shutting down until their eventual death? Nice.
Original post by cherryred90s
In other words, you'd prefer a person to suffer in constant agony and remain a burden on their families as they gradually become incapable of completing even the simplest of tasks as their organs begin shutting down until their eventual death? Nice.

obviously as a Christian i expect abusive replies. have a nice day :h:
Original post by the bear
obviously as a Christian i expect abusive replies. have a nice day :h:

Firstly, you didn't answer the question. Secondly, how was that an abusive reply? Thirdly, I'm also a Christian..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending