The Student Room Group

How can I get A*-B grades at GCSE? How do you do it?

Any effective methods of revision? Is this the best time to revise? Any revision materials? Thanks
Original post by funky23
Any effective methods of revision? Is this the best time to revise? Any revision materials? Thanks

Easter is a great time to revise, you have the rest of this week and next week to start or continue revising.

First, I highly recommend to make a revision timetable. I made one for my GCSEs and I am still using them even in my last year of A Levels. It doesn't have to be too complex; I just printed out a calendar for the days up until my last exam. On each day I wrote what subject I wanted to revise, and what topics to revise and whether I would do a past paper. I also prioritised the subjects or topics which I was weaker at, and would not stop until I totally understood or memorised the topic. This really helped as each day I wasn't having to waste time deciding which subject to revise.

Secondly, look at past papers. Examiners love to throw some topics in each paper every year, so you can make sure you absolutely understand it and will be prepared for it, for example factorizing polynominals in GCSE Maths. These will also help you prepare your timings better by practicing papers.

Finally look at Examiners Reports. These are documents on the exam boards websites which say how well people did on average for a particular year. These can be helpful as they show what the examiners are looking for, what they don't want to see and the common mistakes people make.

Hope this helps, it definately did for me - 3A*s and 8As at GCSE :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Dapperblook22
Easter is a great time to revise, you have the rest of this week and next week to start or continue revising.

First, I highly recommend to make a revision timetable. I made one for my GCSEs and I am still using them even in my last year of A Levels. It doesn't have to be too complex; I just printed out a calendar for the days up until my last exam. On each day I wrote what subject I wanted to revise, and what topics to revise and whether I would do a past paper. I also prioritised the subjects or topics which I was weaker at, and would not stop until I totally understood or memorised the topic. This really helped as each day I wasn't having to waste time deciding which subject to revise.

Secondly, look at past papers. Examiners love to throw some topics in each paper every year, so you can make sure you absolutely understand it and will be prepared for it, for example factorizing polynominals in GCSE Maths. These will also help you prepare your timings better by practicing papers.

Finally look at Examiners Reports. These are documents on the exam boards websites which say how well people did on average for a particular year. These can be helpful as they show what the examiners are looking for, what they don't want to see and the common mistakes people make.

THANKS! But how did you revise for maths?
Original post by funky23
THANKS! But how did you revise for maths?

I revised using past papers and revision sessions put on by my school. Our teacher printed out all Edexcel papers for us to complete a paper per week, record our results then listed our improvement topics which we covered using textbooks in the revision sessions. It worked quite well, Maths was one of my A*s :biggrin:

WOW well done on your amazing grades :smile:
How did you revise for science?
Thankyou x
Original post by nisha.sri
WOW well done on your amazing grades :smile:
How did you revise for science?
Thankyou x

I just read revision guides and memorised processes and points for science and practiced past papers. I didn't find the exams too difficult at GCSE, but my coursework was quite poor and probably hindered me from getting A*s in science
I just read revision guides and memorised processes and points for science and practiced past papers. I didn't find the exams too difficult at GCSE, but my coursework was quite poor and probably hindered me from getting A*s in science

Aww :smile: Thanks
Original post by funky23

Still studying for mine, but I have been predicted a hefty amount of A*s and am currently working at my target for all my subjects. My advice to you is to make sure all your notes are in the same place, in one book per subject etc. This really helps clarify your notes. Also, notes need to be in your own words otherwise you are going to feel like they make no sense, write them as if you are explaining them to someone else. Next you need to condense. Condensing knowledge is a way to get it in, as you are simplifying it and making it more memorable. This can be done in mind maps, que cards and the like. Colour coding and breaks are a must. Although high grades require a good level of intelligence, content revision and working hard will get you there too. You need to make sure you have revised all content you don't know in case it comes up on the exams, and do practise questions and exams to monitor progress. Good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest