The Student Room Group

How to get confident with driving

I passed my test nearly a month ago and I'm yet to venture out alone. I've had my perfect little Citroen C1 for like 6 months just waiting for me to pass so I can drive it around. However, I have no confidence in my driving what-so-ever.

I've been out a few times to the supermarket with one of my parents next to me but whenever we got there I wouldn't want to drive home as I had been so shook up with nerves.

It doesn't help that my instructor did little to give me more confidence. Even on the way back from the test centre after passing he was contemplating ways the examiner may have been nice to me and overlooked mistakes or made things easier for me. :/ I failed my first test last November with 3 minors and 1 major, so my driving wasn't even that bad back then as if it hadn't been for the major I would have passed (the major was I almost hit one of those traffic-calming poles that make the road narrow as I had never been through those before I misjudged my speed). Then the test I passed I got no minors at all.

I guess it doesn't help that my instructors biggest thing with me was that I was too fast on approaching junctions and now my Mum is telling me I'm too slow and I shouldn't slow down until I'm near the line and then brake quickly, whereas I slow down gradually and gently to a stop but I guess that's annoying for other drivers who are trying to get somewhere behind me. My Mum is very nervous with me in the driving seat and there was one incident when I was driving after passing with her and I went into a carpark and she thought I was going to hit a railing, I wasn't but her reaction scared me and put me on edge.

Any advice please?
Reply 1
Seems to me you're more anxious about your passengers than your own driving.

Perhaps you should try taking short journeys at first, even just driving around the block on your own will give you good practice and help build your confidence. It'll also help you get a feel for the car itself, as you get more used to it you'll be able to concentrate better on the road, which again will help boost your confidence.

If you're really struggling then maybe you could find an instructor willing to give you a refresher course, but I would start by doing short solo journeys first.
Congrats, I passed just over a month ago too. Start small and drive everyday. I'm a mum so I started with school run everyday, then supermarket then a bit further to family's house and now getting to the point I don't worry at all. Drive everyday and if you have a nervous passenger make them sit in the back 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Sparkliest
My Mum is very nervous with me in the driving seat and there was one incident when I was driving after passing with her and I went into a carpark and she thought I was going to hit a railing, I wasn't but her reaction scared me and put me on edge.

Any advice please?

It has a lot to do with how your passengers' react to your driving. Generally, the more they convey nervous feelings, complaints and the like, the more you're going to panic and drive worse. For her to show such negative signals is obviously going to sap your confidence. I've had plenty of respectful passengers in the past who despite knowing that I'm new to driving, just gave me their faith and trusted me regardless of the road situation. I really appreciated that.

To get over this confidence thing, you just need some time on the road to instill some confidence in yourself. Go have a drive by yourself now that you're allowed to. You'll probably learn more every time, especially without someone potentially bickering or demoralizing you. Before you know it, you'll be happy to carry passengers around with your newfound confidence.
Original post by NX172
To get over this confidence thing, you just need some time on the road to instill some confidence in yourself. Go have a drive by yourself now that you're allowed to. You'll probably learn more every time, especially without someone potentially bickering or demoralizing you. Before you know it, you'll be happy to carry passengers around with your newfound confidence.

Very good advice, and remember that very few people pass with no minors at all. Get out there, get used to your car and get you know your way round the local area. With more practice your driving should become smoother which is what unsettles quite a lot of passengers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending